Veterans & aftercare (Brits v Yanks)

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by fingers_1661, May 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can someone from the US armed forces please explain to us Brits what you are entitled to upon leaving the service after a full career? I believe you benefit from free (or suplemented) healthcare abroad, along with free flights worldwide courtesy of US military aircraft. My point being why can't we Brits enjoy same? It may even add weight to the problem of retention:)

2. Because we're Brits and our citizens don't give a shit about thier Armed Forces unless there's something in it for themselves. It's been the British way for decades now. It's not going to change.

3. Decades? More like centuries.

4. As a starting point, check out:

http://www1.va.gov/opa/vadocs/current_benefits.asp

Which is the US Veterans Administration website. The VA has carried out extensive work in it's various incarnations since the end of WW2 and in particular in dealing with issues affecting US military personnel since Vietnam. Their prgrams are very good, and I was fortunate enough to visit some of their' facilities in the late 80's and early 90's, to see for myself the work done.

If there are any US military serving or ex-servicing, who have had exposure to the VA, than your input would be welcomed on this thread.

5. Off the top of my head after 20 years of active-duty service you get 30% of base salary (a percent point more for every year after if I remember correctly--it used to be 50% which was changed in the mid-80s), access to free medical care on military bases and 'Tricare' insurance coverage for civilian hospitals. Retirees are allowed full access to most military bases including use of facilities like the commissary, PX, gyms, etc. They're also allowed space available on military flights overseas, usually they're first bumped. On flights to Germany I always ran into retirees on C-5s headed there for vacation. There may be some local exceptions to these benefits.

The retirement benefits begin immediately after service so you can be 38 years old and embark on a second career while recieving your military retirement at the same time as your civilian salary, quite a nice benefit. I'm sure someone out there can correct any mistakes or add something.

7. I wouldn't hold your breath!

8. I had a conversation with a Russian airborne officer when I lived in St Petersburg. Apparently every year of service they have in a combat zone like Chechnya counts as two years towards retirement. A unique approach.

9. [/quote]

I had a conversation with a Russian airborne officer when I lived in St Petersburg. Apparently every year of service they have in a combat zone like Chechnya counts as two years towards retirement. A unique approach.[/quote]

Its a standing joke in the British Army that you only go home to full up your flask:) During one 3 year period I spent 28 months on active service and spent much of the remainder chasing lesbians around greenham common, my point being that we'd retire by 25 if we applied this rule:)

10. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

The Aussies have some pretty good benefits too - if you have earned the Australian Active Service Medal, you are entitled to a fair few things. Their Veteran's agency actually has some clout, and NO-ONE in Aussie Politics messes with the Armed Forces - that is instant political death.

Not quite the same as in the UK, then.

11. To make clear in the US there are seperate benefits for all veteran's that are not tied to the 20 year retirement bundle. There is a Veteran's Administration (VA) hospital system set up which caters substantially to those veterans who aren't retirees but served at least a partial enlistment. The VA system also includes guarantees on home loans, the GI Bill for education, some pensions, vocational rehab, burial benefits, etc. There are of course different criteria for each benefit. Also each state has its own programs that supplement the Federal VA system, for example some states like Illinois, Texas and now Wisconsin offer free tuition to state universities and most states have at least one veterans retirement home. Again, all of these are seperate from the 20 year retirement bundle and open to veterans who've served.

The mish-mash of so many programs can be confusing at times.

12. Still 50% base pay after 20 years 75% at 30.

13. I don't know what you are moaning about. Where's your stiff upper lip???

You know the diference between an ex-soldier who is down on his luck and an illegal asylumn seeker is don't you?

About 500 quid and all the benefit's that the asylumn seeker can lay his hand's on.

The ex-soldier better be able to pay his poll tax or it's off to jail with that horrible little man.

It stink's to high heaven, but that's the way it is.

Shut up and put up, or do something about it....

End of rant.

Tony

14. Coup de' tat called for chaps! line up at dawn and charge the houses of parliament.....

Oh, sorry, they don't get outta their secretaries beds till 12 noon! and that's only to have a drink!

15. First off, the reason I get discounted airfare from the military( $1.00 to $5.00 a trip, regardless of where I go) is because I'm 100% service-connected disabled from the military during the Vietnam War. I wasn't lucky enough to have a full career, but if I hadn't been hurt, I more than likely would have. That all depends on Great Britain, and her way of dealing with veterans who either have full lucrative careers, or are injured in the line of duty, and get out on disability. Does your country have anything for that? (Either one?