Veteran takes benefits and support agencies to court!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BeerFun!, Aug 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This was a letter sent out to me, please read and relay the info:

My name is Adam Douglas. I have asked Jean-Claude to pass this message out to you all from the Ex Mil website. I am a former member of HM Forces Regular Army and a former member of our Reserve Forces.

I was wounded in action in the invasion and war fighting phase of Op Telic back in 2003. Therefore I am under the old system of war pensions and do not come under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) which was introduced in 2005.

To cut a very long story short, back in January 2006, I took the promise of a “World Class System of Treatment Support and Benefits” to a Judicial Independent Tribunal hearing. It took a very slow system until the 18th June 2008 to be heard.

It was the unanimous decision in less than 5 minutes deliberation of the Judicial hearing that the entire statement and promise had not been delivered in my case and found The Veterans Agency, the DWP, the DWP (DLA), the DWP (DLA Mobility), the DWP (DLA Care), Social Services, The Leeds NHS Trust along with the Leeds PCT and finally the Job Centre Plus (Disability) all at fault. This list is by no means complete as there are at least 10 to 15 other minor organizations that I have to deal with every day IE district nurses etc etc.

This system has failed to deliver any of these promises and routinely brakes down on a day to day basis, the main reason is that so many organizations and agencies are having to share information or await information and decisions having been made or taken by another agency first. I am at this moment, the only ex service person to have taken the system of treatment support and benefits to any form of hearing separate to the compensation scheme and won. I have a certificate from the Crown stating and supporting my actions against the Government on this matter. This story will be featured soon on the Trevor McDonald Tonight programme, along with other Service failings that have become apparent regarding Selly Oaks.

In order to also place further pressure on the Prime Minister and the Defence Secretary and also for the Trevor McDonald Tonight programme to have further evidence, I have been asked to compile a return and petition of anyone else that has suffered under either the old War Pensions scheme or the new AFCS.

For those of you who would like to take part in this or have suffered, please send a blank e mail to the following address adouglasukipleeds@btinternet.com I will then forward you an Excel spreadsheet to fill in and the return.

Unfortunately, this needs to be completed for the Trevor McDonald Tonight programme by the end of Wednesday the 8th Aug. by doing this, we will with your help, place further pressure on the Government and bring further into public knowledge, the failings of this inadequate, derisory and demeaning system that treats our wounded and injured colleagues.

If you cant make the Wednesday deadline, still fill it in and send back so it can be given as a petition to the Prime Minister at a later date.

Sincerely

Adam

PLEASE NOTE THIS IS FOR UK SERVICE PERSONNEL ONLY

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

8 August is a Friday?

3. The RBL have started a campaign for the pre 2005 pensioners.

Can't remember the link but I'm sure one of the more canny web surfers can find it and plonk it in here sometime.

4. See also HERE for newspaper report about Mr Douglas.

5. Can someone explain what is wrong with the pre 2005 WP scheme? What is preferable about the AFCS?

6. I'm on the pre- 2005 scheme. I haven't the foggiest what the difference is.

7. Being the cynic that I am, I would suggest that the change [whatever it was in 2005] was and is a way of saving money and detrimental to WP's
    [I stand to be corrected]

8. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I was at a conference in either 20004 or 2003 when the changes were being talked about.
    Various pensions were to be enhanced, especially for War Widows, but the whole exercise was to be at NO COST. I haven't looked at who the losers are but I am sure there will be quite a few.

9. Thought as much. Cheers.

10. as far as I am aware if you were injured after april 2004 you can claim compensation whilst still serving, or as in my case I will have to wait until I leave.
    the old pension scheme pays more than the new, providing you dont die before you leave in which the new scheme is better for your spouse and family!
    every one who joins now is on the new system, it all has to do with statistics in how long we live, the mod/goverment are trying to save cash!

11. My bold ... not quite
    ...like biccies, I come under the War pensions pre 2005 scheme.