Veteran ID Cards - any idea whats going on?

Hi. Has anybody heard anything more about Veteran ID Cards? I appreciate there has been a lot in the media, re: free travel for War Veterans (and quite right), but I understand these cards will be issued to all veterans - very much like the US system. Perhaps the idea has now been shelved, due to the forthcoming election?

MoD Announcement on the issue of Veteran's ID Cards
4,386 Views 30 Comments Share Flag as inappropriate Featured Author:
Peter Padley

Former Warrant Officer Class One (Garrison Sergeant Major) Peter A Padley MBE

Served in the British Army from 1962 until 2000 as a member of the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME).

Served with a variety of units including Parachute and Commando Forces on active duty and operations in many theatres around the world.

Former Parachute Instructor and founder member of 3 military Parachute Teams.

More articles from this author:
Operations PALLISER & BARRAS (Sierra Leone) - Part 1
Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA)
Aircraft Carriers of the Royal Navy
HMForces.co.uk

The long awaited announcement regarding the issue of a Veterans ID Card has been made by the Government. Kevan Jones, Minister for Veterans, said ‘the Government needed to make the Veterans ID Card issue happen’. He went on to say that the issue of the ID Card would provide Veterans with the recognition they deserved, having served their country as members of the Armed Forces, and make it possible for them to obtain priority access to medical treatment.

It is thought that under the proposed plans more than four million former members of the Armed Forces could benefit from preferential treatment on the NHS and, where necessary, access to council housing. These were some of the recommendations made by a Conservative Commission in 2008 where it was considered that greater efforts should be made to rebuild the Military Covenant, an unwritten pact whereby serving and retired members of the Armed Forces receive special treatment in recognition of the sacrifices they have made.

It was in 2001 that a Ministry of Defence ‘working group’ was formed to assess the viability of a Veterans ID Card scheme. It had been acknowledged that progress on the ID Card scheme had been slow but confirmed issues could start as early as 2010 and that the cards would guarantee the identity of the bearer whilst giving access to specific services and discounts. What advantages, such as discounts or subsidised rail and bus travel, would be available to Veterans was not clear when the announcement was made on 29 March.

Veterans of the American Armed Forces have long been issued with ID Cards where benefits, such as access to PX facilities, treatment in military hospitals, discount schemes and ‘fill up’ travel on military flights, are available to them. Other countries run similar schemes for former members of their Armed Forces.

The introduction of the Veterans ID Card scheme is to be applauded as a justified method of recognition for the selfless service and sacrifices made by all Veterans who have served in the Armed Forces.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Snip<<

Veterans of the American Armed Forces have long been issued with ID Cards where benefits, such as access to PX facilities, treatment in military hospitals, discount schemes and ‘fill up’ travel on military flights, are available to them. Other countries run similar schemes for former members of their Armed Forces.
So as we have no military hospitals and all RAF flights start or end at Brize this would give British Veterans the right to buy overpriced yellow dusters and watch pop videos at The Hub? :roll:

Are we talking War Veterans or Armed Forces Veterans? Surely there shouldnt be a difference!

If you have a war pension then you can get on Oyster Card for free travel around London, you dont pay prescription charges for meds for your listed conditions, priority NHS treatment (trumped only by civvies life threatening illnesses), a nice Veterans badge, access to the Veterans World Magazine and a whole load of other things. Do we need another piece of plastic to say we served?

Its nice to get free travel around London but should we get it for all UK travel? if so why? and why is it 'quite right' that we do so? Presently, if you need to get from one end of the country to the other for treatment then it is paid for you anyway.

whole national ID card thing isnt going to be compulsory anymore!

You can get a Veterans ID card if you live abroad and wish to have access to British Army camps for whatever reason.

We are riding on a wave of public sympthany at the moment but if we keep demanding more and more how long till they and the ministers say enough is enough?

I am a Armed Forces Veteran (23 Years, last 4 years as WO1 (RSM)), served on several operations and I have a War Pension, Id like everything for free but whos going to pay for it?

buttonsin3s said:
smudge67 said:
I demand my free travel!! ;)
You'll be lucky, I'm still waiting for my free Nelson Mandela. :)
FFS! Think you've got problems. I've been out 24 years now and I'm still waiting for my Christmas bonus.

oldbaldy

LE
smudge67 said:
I demand my free travel!! ;)
I get free travel in London.
Thankyou Boris:
VCTS

:D :D :D

elovabloke

ADC
As it would give me reduced travel costs with BA & Virgin to name but a few without carrying my red book around it would make life a tad easier.

As it would give me reduced travel costs with BA & Virgin to name but a few without carrying my red book around it would make life a tad easier.
Have you got a link for BA and Virgin offering reduced rates?

elovabloke

ADC
Have you got a link for BA and Virgin offering reduced rates?
My experience has been by going through their main office's and it depends on who you get on the end of the line as to the results. There lies the rub unfortunatly. Letters to their customer relatiions department have produced good results at times.

Many major company's have suggested that if a prooper ID scheme could be devised decent discounts can be arranged.

It's not far removed from the ******* "dole scrounger" mentality. Why should people who've served get discounts?

What a load of ******* bollocks. You made your choices and, if you did well, got your gongs.

Endex.

It's not far removed from the ******* "dole scrounger" mentality. Why should people who've served get discounts?

What a load of ******* bollocks. You made your choices and, if you did well, got your gongs.

Endex.
Dont get people started on the NDM