Veteran ID Cards - any idea whats going on?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Fortysomething, Mar 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi. Has anybody heard anything more about Veteran ID Cards? I appreciate there has been a lot in the media, re: free travel for War Veterans (and quite right), but I understand these cards will be issued to all veterans - very much like the US system. Perhaps the idea has now been shelved, due to the forthcoming election?

2. So as we have no military hospitals and all RAF flights start or end at Brize this would give British Veterans the right to buy overpriced yellow dusters and watch pop videos at The Hub? :roll:

3. Are we talking War Veterans or Armed Forces Veterans? Surely there shouldnt be a difference!

If you have a war pension then you can get on Oyster Card for free travel around London, you dont pay prescription charges for meds for your listed conditions, priority NHS treatment (trumped only by civvies life threatening illnesses), a nice Veterans badge, access to the Veterans World Magazine and a whole load of other things. Do we need another piece of plastic to say we served?

Its nice to get free travel around London but should we get it for all UK travel? if so why? and why is it 'quite right' that we do so? Presently, if you need to get from one end of the country to the other for treatment then it is paid for you anyway.

whole national ID card thing isnt going to be compulsory anymore!

You can get a Veterans ID card if you live abroad and wish to have access to British Army camps for whatever reason.

We are riding on a wave of public sympthany at the moment but if we keep demanding more and more how long till they and the ministers say enough is enough?

I am a Armed Forces Veteran (23 Years, last 4 years as WO1 (RSM)), served on several operations and I have a War Pension, Id like everything for free but whos going to pay for it?

4. True. Didn't exactly see any mega bargins last time I was down the NAAFI either! The reduced travel wouldn't be a bad thing though.

5. Reduced travel yes, but free travel?

6. I demand my free travel!! ;)

7. You'll be lucky, I'm still waiting for my free Nelson Mandela. :)

8. FFS! Think you've got problems. I've been out 24 years now and I'm still waiting for my Christmas bonus.

9. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

I get free travel in London.
    Thankyou Boris:
    VCTS

:D :D :D

10. Glad to hear it. I also hope Boris can influence other London based organisations, to give you guys further discounts.

11. me too, Boris is my hero!

12. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

It looks like we have been led up a gum tree.

Attached Files:

13. No surprises there then. But did you really want one?

14. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

As it would give me reduced travel costs with BA & Virgin to name but a few without carrying my red book around it would make life a tad easier.

15. Have you got a link for BA and Virgin offering reduced rates?