Veteran Help Wanted.

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by scarletto, Oct 14, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right,currently have a 89 year old WW2 Royal Naval veteran, rotting in Hospital in Trafford,Manchester. He is suffering from Cancer,and as he has no money his family do not want to know or care. Is in Hospital due to a fire in his house,and no one (social services) gives a toss.

Next door neighbour goes daily to help,usual stuff dress him,make sure he isnt sitting in his own filth,as he has been. However i need to know,who can i contact is it better for SSAFA or RBL? Anyone from these in the Manchester area on Arrse,JD can you help.

Any RN charities. Im not happy the way he has been left,and the fact a neighbour does more than Social services annoys me more.

Serious answers please,as im getting rather peed off with lack of help from those i pay taxes for,so time for Forces help.
    cheers Scar
  2. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

SSAFA no. here. Give 'em a ring. They deal with RBL all the time and so will give the job to the right person.

Trafford - 0161 223 1133 with ansaphone
    Office Hours: Tue & Thurs 9.30am to 12 30pm
  3. Contact page for the RN Benevolent Trust is here.

They may be able to help/know someone who can?
  4. Try the Royal Naval Association (computer idiot so unsure how to post a link, but I found it by typing Royal Naval Association into google) quick search found a branch in North Manchester, they can help with all sorts of things, or as mentioned above try the RBL.
  5. Thanks all, phoning etc now. Even if its someone who will wash his clothes for him,whilst i deal with other things for him,until now i didnt realise how poorly people like him get treated
  6. if you have any issues, drop me a PM. My Mum and Dad has had some real experience with both the Legion and NHS. Would be happy to give some pointers if you get stuck in the mud
  7. Scarletto,

PM inbound. Please have a read.
  8. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

9. Thanks,PMs read replys on way.

Going hopefully the SSAFA route.
  10. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

11. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Ive got a cancellation on two tickets to Tenerife on Sunday morning if he wants a week on the piss? :D

PM me if you hit any walls mate
  12. Cheers mate, and you too Spanish-Dave, funny enough he would be off like i shot if i told him, Tommy liked a drink or two :)
  13. Does his gaff need any attention? Can get him some new flooring if required, pm me if needed!
  14. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

well done you....sounds like you have this gripped.

The RNBT have been mentioned but if you get no joy then the overarching seagoer's charity ( used to be King George's Fund for Sailors) is now known as SEAFARERS UK.

Their website is at Grants & How to get help – Seafarers UK

Keep us posted how he gets on - Arrse muscle WORKS !
  15. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

They would refer to the RNBT. Seafarers UK granted c£300K to RN & RM charities in 2010.
    I know how the RNBT grant committee work and this old boy needs help he will get it from them.