Veteran dress for Pass off Parade

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Blues, medals and sword. Sorted.

It's Pirbright... smart suit, regimental tie, black brolly rolled and carried pacestick stylie... and wear some decent brogues with some metal Blakey's Segs on the heel so you can do the clippity-clop thing while walking around trying not to draw attention to yourself...

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
When I passed out, my 1*, CO and OC turned up, all in Service dress with leather and medals. So, I'd say you could wear your regi tie and medals which would be wholly appropriate.

Always a dilemma, I went in Regimental blazer and tie and let the boys passing out on parade shine and enjoy their day. There is a Very real danger you go to 'big it up' and all that happens is people think you are a tosser! Not that you would of course, but a delicate path to walk.
That aside enjoy the day.

skynews-protester-extinction_4797982.jpg

This is the look. Then superglue your cock to whoevers taking the salute till he commits to making Pirbright carbon neutral by next tuesday. Your son will understand you're doing it for his future!

Heh, heh, heh.... I went to my brother’s pass out at Arborfield (oh the shame, the shame) in full rig. As we emerged from the block after the horror of it all Mum Rickshaw turned to me and asked why I wasn’t helping my Bruv with Bergan, kit bag, suitcase and kitchen sink and I took malicious delight in saying “because he is a Cfn and I am a very beautiful Captain”. She thought it was cruel and not what she had raised me for and I thought “didn’t you have squaddie banter when you were manning a searchlight battery during WWII?” he has, at least as far as he has said, forgiven me.

Fast forward one generation and Rickshaw Mini Minor is passing off. He had been tasked with making up a photo montage on the inside of his locker and had, as a centrepiece, a snap of yours truly outside SIAP, posing in baggy smock, no lid and a M4 (lent by my septic hosts who were appalled that HM had sent me to war with a Hi Power and 20 rounds). Tp Sgt was intrigued and asked Mini Minor who this was. MM said he didn’t really know what I was doing or who I was with (both true).

Come the day and I was on POTL and thus, naturally, had a beard and linen suit . Poor old Tp Sgt adds two and two and comes up with five. Sidles past and does a muttered aside to the effect of “he’s okay and never said anything about you”. Probably through shame, truth to be known.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
I disagree, people automatically look at people who wear medals and/or uniform.
My uncle, grandfather (both veterans) and my father (serving soldier) came to my passing out in suits with no bling.
Its the recruits day, not anyone elses.
I also disagree. The pass out is held at a military establishment. 'People' won't be automatically looking anywhere other than the parade ground. There will be medals galore everywhere. Soldiers and their families are pretty used to seeing medals, it adds to the occasion.

I also disagree. The pass out is held at a military establishment. 'People' won't be automatically looking anywhere other than the parade ground. There will be medals galore everywhere. Soldiers and their families are pretty used to seeing medals, it adds to the occasion.
I half disagree. If you are serving, the invite will probably require No2 Dress, leather and gongs. If you are no longer serving, the suggestion (no more) will be lounge suit. Save your gongs for Remembrance Sunday and in the pub afterwards.

I mentioned Remembrance Sunday in my last post. Time for a confession. Some few years after I retired, I really missed the Sunday Curry Lunch following the ceremony. I rigged up a pretty damned good spread (hot, middling, mild, veggie and all the pitten patten) as well as an FBD (Fwd Beer Dump). . They came, they scoffed, they left and I realised that, minus a military contingent, it was no longer what it had been.

Okay, I'll bite.

What are the wings for, with LF on them?

Standing by for (hopefully) a dozen silly answers, and one sensible one.
Legion of Frontiersmen would be my guess, making them of no value whatsoever.

Apologies for the quick sensible answer.

Civilians arent used to military establishments which is the majority of families. The only people in the crowd with medals will be the very few ex or serving who decided to wear their bling.
It adds bugger all to the occasion, the recruits arent there to be proud of their parents (if they have served) its supposed to be the other way around.

I half disagree. If you are serving, the invite will probably require No2 Dress, leather and gongs. If you are no longer serving, the suggestion (no more) will be lounge suit. Save your gongs for Remembrance Sunday and in the pub afterwards.
The last one I saw, was a suggestion not a requirement for serving soldiers.

. . . nad you may spend many, many of your British Pounds on many exciting badges:

If you want to do so . . .

The last one I saw, was a suggestion not a requirement for serving soldiers.
Grateful. I am now a full decade outside the barrack gate. Mind you, the “suggestion” isn’t a step forward.

Last edited:
Fast forward one generation and Rickshaw Mini Minor is passing off. He had been tasked with making up a photo montage on the inside of his locker and had, as a centrepiece, a snap of yours truly outside SIAP, posing in baggy smock, no lid and a M4 (lent by my septic hosts who were appalled that HM had sent me to war with a Hi Power and 20 rounds). Tp Sgt was intrigued and asked Mini Minor who this was. MM said he didn’t really know what I was doing or who I was with (both true).

Come the day and I was on POTL and thus, naturally, had a beard and linen suit . Poor old Tp Sgt adds two and two and comes up with five. Sidles past and does a muttered aside to the effect of “he’s okay and never said anything about you”. Probably through shame, truth to be known.
One of THEM, aye? :? Hope you used sun-screen then otherwise you'll freckle up like a ginger.

Op With beard crop.jpg