Veteran dress for Pass off Parade

My son is due to Pass Off from ATC Pirbright soon, so as a veteran do I wear Regimental blazer and awards or go smart casual?

Smart casual ok, regi blazer ok but awards? Whose big day is it, yours or his.

From another thread...

My son is in the same boat but I would never dream of wearing my medals and beret to his passing out parade. Not about me it's about him my time in green has passed (thank god) and I am more bothered about him enjoying his day than whether I should wear my medals and a blazer and beret.

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
Smart casual, regimental tie, no blazer.

All the focus should be on your boy, it is his day, you are there to support only.
He is the star of the show.

TheAssassin

War Hero
Am reminded of former TA personnel who have a nice collection of medals (OSM Afghanistan, UN Cyprus plus the Jubilee battle), and they decided to join regulars, had to do basically training, but keep quiet about his qualifications (medals and trades). As he was technically a veteran, he wore what he earned and was qualified to do. No reason why other veterans in audience can't do the same.

Suit, regimental tie. I wore my RCT one as the lad had joined the RLC to blow things up (he's noisy, as a rule). Nobody recognised it, except the General taking the parade, who'd been at BBK when I was there.

Regimental tie, no awards. To wear medals would just be saying "Look at me, everyone!" It's not your big day, so there's no need to take the shine off it for him.

I think the point was that you had said "technically a veteran", which comes across as a bit... begrudging.

Why did there have to be a 'technically' about it? Would you be saying "technically" if it was a former regular army chap who had gone back in?

TheAssassin

War Hero
I think the point was that you had said "technically a veteran", which comes across as a bit... begrudging.

Why did there have to be a 'technically' about it? Would you be saying "technically" if it was a former regular army chap who had gone back in?
Technically was a bad choice of word. From my standpoint, veteran is war veteran. I am that and he is that. I don't hold with the "one day of service" shit

Suit & Regt tie.

As a former soldier, p!ss stained trousers and Reg tie complete with curry splatter and eau de Stella aftershave.

As others have said, no awards, Regi blazer and tie if you want, otherwise smart turnout.

I'm pretty sure ATC pirbright send out instructions to people wanting to attend, but that will require the recruits letting the DS know who is likely to be there.. They will definitely want to know numbers (for caterig, seating, etc) and probably names, vehicle registrations as well.
Wouldn't hurt to message Army Training Centre Pirbright, it is monitored Monday-Friday until 1700hrs.

Technically was a bad choice of word. From my standpoint, veteran is war veteran. I am that and he is that. I don't hold with the "one day of service" shit
So, in your opinion, someone who's done full service and more wouldn't be a veteran if they hadn't been deployed on Ops through no fault of their own?

Veteran’s badge also, preferably a larger than normal issue one. You want people to know just who they are dealing with. There will be people present there whose only experience of military will be on a games console. Identifying yourself as a veteran will separate you from the dross, and your jubilee medal will be a talking point amongst the plasterers and nail technicians present.

Latest Threads