Vests of assault variety

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Is_the_link_in?, Feb 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right before you all start i know this subject has been kicked to death, but i need some help!
    Being in a corp where i drive a hell of a lot, and carry bugger all ammo (and no im not a loggie) im looking at getting a vest. Ive got an issue one (A1 mag pouches, cant fit bugger all in the other pouches) but its really doing my head in, and even though its crap, i use it a lot on exercise and ops because its a lot easier to get in and out of a rover or DAF with a vest, especially practising contact drills!
    Ive done the whole webbing thing for 3 years and after 6 months i knew a vest was needed. The QM wont exchange my old vest cos they only want to give them to people going on ops...
    So any suggestions, taking into consideration i want velcro cos the clips are arrse, i dont need 12 ammo pouches (Webtex combat/jungle vest) and i could do with a half decent amount of room for extra kit...
    Price aint too much of a drama like either
  2. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

Reading your post, I would say that a chest rig would suit you better than a vest and the issue one is hard to beat.

Lots of places sell them and you could do a lot worse then check e-bay.
  3. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Have a look at

Saw them the other week and they've got loads of vests, and if I'm not mistaken, they also do the new Web-tex do-it-yourself vest as well as Blackhawk kit. I haven't seen much Blackhawk kit on their site, but they did tell me they sell the lot.
  4. What kit other than ammo do you want to carry? Untallguy could be right; chest rig could be the answer but will have less capacity than the vest you're using now.

Re Velcro closure on ammo pouches, only velcro or clips too?
  5. [​IMG]

Here you go.

"Wheres my dinner you slaaag? Do ya wanna feel the back of my hand?
  6. I'd second untallguy's post.

The problem with assault vests is that you really can't get at every pouch without taking it off. Logically then, if you can't reach a pouch without taking it off, then you can't get that kit in a contact. Also logically then, what is the point in having said kit in that pouch if you can't get at it? Tying myself up in knots here, but essentially why bother with that much kit on you if you don't need it/can't use it?

Chest rig is probably best for you. You can carry enough mags, a few grenades, a radio and a med kit plus extra bits (leatherman etc). All the stuff you need for a contact drill. Everything else can go in a grab bag in your waggon.

Issue rigs are fine. They have an NSN so you can try to wangle one through your Q "I'm a driver" "special requirement" etc
  7. Cheers guys all help is much appreciated!
    Mainly kit i carry on me is along the following:
    Mags, ammo, water bottle, mess tins, cleaning kit, torch, leatherman, cylumes, para cord (all the associated junk) FFD and team medics kit, sunglasses and goggles, all that kinda arrse stuff...
    Anyway ill go check out the sites, thanks for the help!

(edit) and ref clips and velcro, both is good but i would rather have velcro and clips rather han just clips, its a fecking nigthmare trying to do those clips up during fire and manouver! Last time i lost a mag...
  8. Go for the issue chest rig then. Clips are set up in a way that makes them easy to close. As for the list of kit, half of that should be in your grab bag, not your belt kit/chest rig. For example, if you are separated from your vehicle the last thing you're going to need are your mess tins!
  9. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

I second DocSTAB. If you want this for vehicle work and contact drills, all you need in your chest rig is ammo, water, weapon cleaning kit and such - the rest can go in a grab bag/daysack.
  10. Ever thought about stripping down your belt kit? I do this for vehicle work; ammo pouches on the left, camel pack / pouch for water, pouch for other bits and bobs. Grab bag with everything else for getting out quickly.

Don't forget about using some drop leg pouches. Becoming more and more popular. And I don't fancy getting any chest rig over the new Osprey.
  11. Issue chest rig may be a tad bulky for wearing over Osprey, granted. There are some yank chest rigs that offer the bare minimum of 6-8 mags, a radio, a pistol and grenade/FFD. Blackhawk make one.

Drop leg pouches may be of use, but you can't access them easily while still in the vehicle due to the angle you sit at.