Very worried about military cuts and my chances

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by theEnd, Aug 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I feel very disheartened after reading this 800 surplus Army officers costing defence £85 million - Telegraph

I failed Main Board last year. I intended to get my arrse in gear, buckle up, fix my weaknesses and give it a second shot after doing a degree. I'm begining to question whether this is a worthwhile pursuit given that this must truly be the worst possible time to try and become an Army officer, in decades if not centuries.

They don't want Army officers anymore, and Westbury is literally swamped with applications. This means the Army has raised the bar, the goalposts have shifted. I know this isn't official, but it's logic. The army now has a much wider recruitment base to select from, and fewer projected placements for Sandhurst cadets. When I went to MB, I found tens of candidates who had a tepid interest in becoming an army officer, but they were very well educated, 'City' types that turned to the army in the great financial services exodus.

What chance does an ordinary graduate have, who has failed once, faced with such stiff competition. In years gone by perhaps 'my type' had a good shot of making a career out of this, learning from my mistakes and going back bigger and better. But I feel with the coming cuts, the increasing competition, I don't stand a chance.

Anyone got any angle on this?

2. Give up now, you don't want it hard enough.

3. Believe me, I do. But one has to be realistic. Some of the weaknesses identified for me are inherent shortfalls that can be improved but not completely vanquished: i.e. MAP score! But, if I manage to achieve 'average' or 'above av.' and do well in other areas, this may have been a pass two years ago. Now I feel they're going to select the cream, not necessarily the most sincere, recruits.

4. Yep: your just going to have to raise your game.

5. msr

msr LE

With that attitude you have already failed.

msr

6. WTF does "my type" mean?

The AOSB is testing for leadership potential. If you have that, plus enough drive, commitment, maturity and a few other attributes, then good. If you do not have that the army does not want you. And why would it?

If you pass AOSB, and pass RMAS, then you are likely to find yourself leading men in a war situation in Afghanistan fairly quickly. It's bloody nasty out there. Lots of people want to kill or maim you and your men. They have the kit, the ability and the experience to give it a bloody good shot. If you don't like the look of the odds on that one, and display the same attitude as you have to your chances at AOSB, then how is that going to help the men you lead?

You probably do need to think seriously about whether you really want this.

7. I understand the sentiments, I'm just trying to be logical about this.

'My type' means, failed first time, gung ho for 2nd attempt, shown an improvement in some areas. But why selet me over a first timer with all the boxes ticked first time; and I suspect they are now numerous.

8. TheEnd,

You are take a rather pessimistic view on this, you should be thinking along the lines of you are what the British Army is looking for in its Officers; otherwise how will you overcome the very hard obstacles you will face as an Army Officer? The article you are referring to is mostly concerned with middle-to-high ranking officers. When the inevitable axe starts to fall it wont be on those sweaty anxious few sitting in the ante room at Westbury.

If you address the weaknesses from the AOSB report then there should be no reason why you should not pass the next time round. You may want to think about how much you want this career and whether you can really do what is required of an Officer. If you think you will be the next Montgomery then go for it, address the issues and get yourself to RMAS.

Whatever you decide the best of luck.

-OCS-

9. dont bother going back and look for a different career path, if you was 100% into this then you wouldnt be asking on here what your chances are youd be asking yourself why are the other people bothering when you know your going to get it

10. If asked why you think you would be a good officer or what sets you apart from the rest of the group by the VP at your interview make sure you give him the above speech, guaranteed pass.

11. At AOSB I was under the impression they were judging us to a generic standard which contrary to what many will tell you doesn't change year by year. The reason being that whilst at present we may be swamped, 5 years down the line when, hypothetically speaking, the economy may have picked up, and Afghan may have ended, the applications may drop. What would happen, the Army couldn't possibly lower its standards to fill the gaps so DON'T worry about selection being tougher. Besides, even if it has, there's **** all you can do about it... apart from winge about it on the internet apparently.

You say you were going to get your arrse in gear and fix your weaknesses, but you don't 'see the point'. THE POINT is that irrespective of whether you want to join the army you should aim to improve yourself on a personal level always, its a constant lifelong process.

On the subject of cuts I think they're referring to our top heavy officer situation, the SSC 2lt has little to worry about, so when you've booked your place for Sandhurst your pretty much in the game for a few years at least, provided you pass the CC.

SO, in answer to your last question 'What chance does an ordinary, failed once, grad have in the face of such stiff competition'?
    A. NO CHANCE, piss off and stop the fishing online for sympathy (from completely the wrong people may I add), and leave the places for the far superior city types....
    B. Take a man-the-****-up pill....and man-up, stop moaning and go and have another crack of the whip, and give them a reason to give you a place at Sandhurst, as apposed to moan about how shit you are.

(attempting tough love, not sure if I pulled it off though, how'd it go for you?
    I'm hoping as a result of my post you're at this very moment throwing off your dressing grown and your flabby veneer of self-loathing is falling away to reveal the steely shell of a determined PO whose will to succeed is matched only by his ability to impress hard nosed syndicate leaders and crusty soon to be made redundant colonels... thats how I pictured it anyway... and yes I am drunk)

12. ^^Either that or you crushed his dreams, crushed his spirit and caused him to throw himself out of a window

13. That is possibly the best quote in this forum for a seriously long while!

14. The army has too many majors and colonels, not too many 2nd lieutenants - although more people are applying for commissions at the moment you still have a fair chance.

15. First off I would say, do not worry so much what a news paper is saying about the military (they never get it right), they are writing stories to sell papers not give you the most accurate information, especially in a time of economic struggle. I think stories about a 'supposedly' large group of over paid and under worked army officers makes for good fodder with no bankers at the moment to throw things at. In reality we are at war, and I really do not see people who would make great officers being turned away, they know potential when they see it and will not waste it. Plus, for all you know the next massive conflict is right around the corner, we could be doubling the size of the army in the next ten years, who knows! But even then, if you do not pass MB you do not pass MB even if they needed a thousand new officers.

The very first thing said to us at briefing, by a suitably mean looking staff sergeant, (so feel free to call him a liar at your own peril) was "We recruit to standards not quotas."

Sorry but I call absolute bull on this one, I was at Westbury a week ago, and I saw no one shouting for their hand servants to come tie their ties for them, or saying they planned on doing flower arranging once they are in cause thats what daddy did in the RAF. Every last person I met was 100% dedicated and the number one question asked was "which regiment do you want to join?" and "Do you think we will get to go Afghan?" Questions I did not hear while there were "what university did you go to, Oh my god it wasnt Oxford!" and "How much money does your father make?" I think most of us were more interested if you could lash two planks together than how posh or common you were and I have a feeling all the staff sergeants and officers assessing you would have similar feelings.

If you fail, its because you did not meet the grade, not because you were not posh enough. Just crack on and pass this perfectly do able hurdle, stop thinking about "what if" save that for your plan ex.