'Very, VERY, lucky': Soldier finds bomb under his car seat on visit to see girlfriend

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by the_boy_syrup, Jan 7, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

A soldier was yesterday said to be ‘very, very lucky’ to be alive after finding a terrorist bomb planted in his car on a visit to his girlfriend in Northern Ireland.
    Dissident republicans opposed to the peace process placed the murderous device beneath the driver’s seat after the soldier left the Vauxhall Astra unlocked.
    But the off-duty serviceman, who is not based in Northern Ireland, cheated death after spotting the booby-trap while cleaning the vehicle before picking up a child from school.

He noticed a trip wire which connected the seatbelt to the device on Thursday.
    Police said there could have been massive bloodshed if the bomb on a housing estate in Belfast had exploded.
    Despite the narrow escape the soldier, from Scotland, is expected to be hauled over the coals by the Army for breaching strict personal security orders.
    His parked car was left open outside his long-term girlfriend’s home in nationalist north Belfast and he is understood to have ignored safety guidance by telling several people he was a member of the Armed Forces.
    The vehicle was also described as a ‘party car’ by local politicians who said it had been used to transport revellers to celebrations across the Ligoniel district on Wednesday night.

This alerted terrorists belonging to Oglaigh na hEireann, a splinter group of the Continuity IRA, to his whereabouts and movements.

Read more: Soldier finds bomb under his car seat on visit to see girlfriend in Belfast | Mail Online

Morale of the story - get her to do the school run herself........

• Like Like x 3
  2. Morale of the story - 'They haven't gone away you know'

• Like Like x 6
  3. I can't see that being a particular highlight, Aesop.

I like the way the local politicians are blaming the soldier. Yeah, he was a bit of a bellend, but the blame is lying firmly with a bunch of cnuts who are... well, cnuts.

• Like Like x 5
  4. After Billions upon Billions of Pounds and after terrorists have been given power in parliment, please don't tell me that we're back we we left off over a decade ago...

5. ancienturion

ancienturion LE Book Reviewer

They never go away and I fear they never will.

6. Too much money in drugs and crime... republicanism/nationalism ceased to be teh raison d'etre years ago.

• Like Like x 4
  7. It's like blaming a girl for her own rape because she was wearing makeup.

• Like Like x 5
  8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Do try to keep up old chap...

http://www.arrse.co.uk/current-affairs-news-analysis/175149-northern-ireland-criminals-still-their-work.html

Incidentally,I often worked in that area when I was a techy with NTL/VM,always hated it & I got threatened a few times working at the street cabinets not to disconnect the illigal connections.In fact we did an audit once & in one cab,80% of the connections were illigal,so we were told by management to disconnect them,which we did.(The was three of us working on the one cab)
    Few hours later we found out that the NTL depot got a phone call off someone stating the next NTL engineer working in the area would 'get it' if any more were disconnected.
    So we were ordered out of the area...

9. Yes it is the fault of the scum bags who planted the bomb, but, if the reports are correct and he'd been telling people he was in the Army and using his taxi to ferry people to parties around town and then left his car unlocked he is not only very, very, lucky but also very, very, stupid for being so slack with his persec.

• Like Like x 2
  10. I don't think he was ferrying them around - but letting them use his car when he wasn't in it. But saying that, I think it was a Sinn Fien member who said that anyway!

Yes Cscum are in wrong for plating the device, but for god's sake, I wouldn't go round NI saying I'm an ex squaddie. Common sense isn't very common.

11. Blokes an idiot. Very lucky idiot, but idiot nevertheless. To be honest it's shocking the amount of blokes I've seen mincing around the 2 Belfast airports and the ferry port with things ranging from corps/regtl ties to a bloke coming from liverpool to Belfast on the ferry who had a bergan with his zap number and coy painted on the back, he then asked mr joe public if they could watch it for five minutes while he went to the bar!! If that wasn't bad enough he then proceeded to cycle in the direction of palace! Tit. Due to the job I do we get int briefs every week but I'm thinking that maybe units not on Helvetic need them too.

12. He's a Scot going out with an Irish lass... I'm thinking he thought they were all 'together'. A mistake made by one or two other Scots before now.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Was in Belfast on New Years Eve, and somehow got talking to this lad who informs me, after no time at all that he was in the army. I reminded Hom that it wasn't too wise to be telling any old Tom dick or Harry what his purpose was. His girlfriend from Northern Ireland was a friend of my sister-in-law, and I know for a fact that her relations are involved in dodgy dealings.

Couldn't believe how quick he was to tell me..?!! When i was still serving and went home, I kept my mouth shut. Still do. There's no change over there,inasmuch as the 'bad boys' are still there,maybe not so visible, but they are still about.

14. "Hom"..? Should read Him.

Then again....

15. I always thought you were supposed to tell your unit if you were planning to visit NI.