Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Very strange email...

I am old fashioned kind of pervert, half dago half eyetie, thats what I look like ( during intercourse anyway)

Well thanks for the explanation. I actually meant it`s developed a beige stripe down the RHS. Didn`t used to look like that.

av.png

I opened my mail box today and saw this email, I rarely use drop box, it may be that the sender found my email addy on the NAPIT website unless the russkis have hacked arrse
I then rang my Computer person who knows of such stuff and he said its a scam
I went into the BT thingy and marked it as spam, and then I found a few other offering military clothing ??
any ways heres a pic in case you get it
View attachment 328569
There are phishing emails going around which attempt to steal your Dropbox or email passwords. One version takes you to a fake Dropbox login page in an attempt to steal your Dropbox login. The other takes you to a fake email login page to try to steal your email password. Some try to get you to download a file containing a virus.

Fake Dropbox Email Phishing Scam Alert - April 2017
These fake Dropbox emails look legitimate, but they're both phishing scams that work differently. One tries to steal your Dropbox password with an order request that looks like it's from an actual company. The other tries to steal your email password with a fake file sharing request. (...)

Dropbox email spam is very common. Some of these scams try to lure you into downloading a virus attached to or linked from the email. Others exploit the popularity of the file sharing service to get you to provide your username and password with a fake login page.

Aha Yes, not sure why that has happened maybe the new arse format, I will try to reduce it a bit without breaking the internet ( unless its soem secret sign for those in the know)

Avatars have to be square, so web-site systems like Arrse's crop &/or reduce the scale of the images selected by the users. To maintain the 1:1 aspect ratio & get rid of the beige stripe it's necessary to crop the bottom:

joshua-slocum2.jpg

Here's a sharper version if you prefer (it will look better when the Arrse system reduces it):

joshua-slocum3.jpg

Avatars have to be square, so web-site systems like Arrse's crop &/or reduce the scale of the images selected by the users. To maintain the 1:1 aspect ratio & get rid of the beige stripe it's necessary to crop the bottom:

View attachment 328901

Here's a sharper version if you prefer (it will look better when the Arrse system reduces it):

View attachment 328902
Many thanks,
I just fitted the picture you trimmed up and its much better, you are most kind, I was going to stick another image in but I dont like change, and those that have met me say it looks much like my younger self

I have had a email login notice this morning that my Sky Yahoo Mail is now outdated and expired. It tells me to enter my email address to re-validate. If I do not do this within 48 hours it will be permanently deleted. Is this a scam ?.

I have had a email login notice this morning that my Sky Yahoo Mail is now outdated and expired. It tells me to enter my email address to re-validate. If I do not do this within 48 hours it will be permanently deleted. Is this a scam ?.

If it provides you with a direct link to the 'Yahoo' site, it will probably be a fake site. You enter your email address and they'll probably then ask you to enter your password as validation. He/she then has access to your Yahoo email account, which they can then search/monitor for any further sensitive information.

Never, ever follow a link in an email, but Google for the pertinent link and follow that - that way you're going to end up at the genuine website.

Wordsmith

If it provides you with a direct link to the 'Yahoo' site, it will probably be a fake site. You enter your email address and they'll probably then ask you to enter your password as validation. He/she then has access to your Yahoo email account, which they can then search/monitor for any further sensitive information.

Never, ever follow a link in an email, but Google for the pertinent link and follow that - that way you're going to end up at the genuine website.

Wordsmith
The notice came up when i opened sky home before I can log into email.

I'm not familiar with Sky Home. There are ways you can manipulate a browser to put up notices like that if there are security vulnerabilities within the Sky website. However, the same trick (stored cross-site scripting) can steal your user credentials, which would be a much more effective attack.

I'd Google for the pertinent Yahoo page, open it, enter your credentials and see what happens next time you open Sky Home. If the message still came up after you reentered your credentials into Yahoo, I'd be a little concerned.

In that event the immediate action I'd take would be to visit Yahoo again and change my password. I'd also then flag the incident up to Sky as a suspicious one.

(The above is a best guess as to the appropriate course of action).

Wordsmith

I'm not familiar with Sky, but go directly to the email log-in page that you would normally use to log into your email directly. If Sky have been hacked, they might be asking you to change your password before they tell anyone what happened.

It is good policy to never use the same password on two different sites, especially if that password is used for something important. Never use your bank password for anything else, ever. Never use your email password for anything else, ever.

If someone gets control of your email account they can then contact various services that you use to request a password reset ("I forgot my password", "We'll send a reset link to the email address you gave us when you signed up."). Something that by itself is not a major security risk can be if chained together with other things.

I am with BT Internet which is very poor provider, I could use other words but would be banned from here

If I get my user name or password wrong - I have missed typed and put in a typo it tells me that I have has too many attempts to log in and locks me out for 15 minutes, I believe that this is happening because someone or something is trying to log into my account. (Thats my theory)

I have an Experian credit check on a monthly subscription, 2 months ago it texted me to inform me that monitoring on my identity and accounts etc had identified that my email address and password was on a list being circulated by hackers

BT Internet have not said anything about accounts being hacked to the best of my knowledge

Archie

I am with BT Internet which is very poor provider, I could use other words but would be banned from here

If I get my user name or password wrong - I have missed typed and put in a typo it tells me that I have has too many attempts to log in and locks me out for 15 minutes, I believe that this is happening because someone or something is trying to log into my account. (Thats my theory)

I have an Experian credit check on a monthly subscription, 2 months ago it texted me to inform me that monitoring on my identity and accounts etc had identified that my email address and password was on a list being circulated by hackers

BT Internet have not said anything about accounts being hacked to the best of my knowledge

Archie
As much of a pain in the arrse as it is, I’d recommend changing your email password to something random that isn’t used for any other site. (If you need to keep a copy of login details use a physical copy and don’t have it saved on your pc incase the worst happens.)

You can also use Have I Been Pwned: Check if your email has been compromised in a data breach to see if your email or any passwords have been hacked/leaked in the past. (Apologies if link is not allowed.)