Very Senior Officers Using Their Mobile Phones In Public

I am not (contrary to all perceptions) a diehard stuck in the wool traditionalist. But am I alone in finding it difficult to match up senior officers conduct on 'the little things' versus expectations on the rest of the armed forces?

Wandering past MOD south entrance today, i walked past someone who was the spitting image of a very well known serving 4* who was by the disabled access ramp in uniform (inc headgear) taking a mobile phone call. As i walked into the building he'd sat against one of the railings and continued talking.

I appreciate that at that level you sometimes have to take calls urgently, but i wasnt impressed at the example he set. When working In my reserve officer capacity (yes you can all laugh now) I'm probably not alone in having had to pull people up for loafing in uniform while using their phones. I understood this to be part of the values and standards which govern military life.

My very genuine question is how can i legitimately pull a junior up again for doing this when i've just seen a service chief do the same thing? Surely you should lead by example?

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Not quite sure what your complaint is - Should you not answer the phone in uniform?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Not quite sure what your complaint is - Should you not answer the phone in uniform?
no he's just annoyed that he can't make a juniors day miserable any more without the guilt fairy whispering sweet nothings into his ear.

he does have a point though, surely a 4 star should have a man/woman for that sort of thing.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
What if it is his MOD issue phone and it is the PM?
Should we enquire of the Guards what the correct drill is for answering a phone whilst in uniform.
dont be silly the pm has twitter for that sort of thing.

I've re-read this and still can't see the bit in which you make a point.

I appreciate that at that level you sometimes have to take calls urgently, but i wasnt impressed at the example he set. When working In my reserve officer capacity (yes you can all laugh now) I'm probably not alone in having had to pull people up for loafing in uniform while using their phones. I understood this to be part of the values and standards which govern military life.
What value and/or standard says you cant't use a mobile phone? Especially the issued ones given to the CO, Orderly Officer, Orderly Sgt, duty storeman, duty armourer etc?
Dont you think its a time saving and convenient for people to be contactable outside of their office?

My point is this - I have regularly worked in establishments where there are regular entries in daily orders, reminders and other notices telling people to not use mobile phones in public in uniform, particularly not in headgear. This is usually followed by stern reminders to all nco's and officers to deal with 'offenders' who don't meet the standards of the service.
By sitting outside mod, in full view of the world and in taking a call when it could have been discretely done out of sight, is this not undermining the same guidance values and standards that his officers are expected to impose?

I always thought mobile phones couldn't be used inside MB.

Perhaps it's time for 'orders' to be re-written to reflect the omnipotence of the mobile phone? But I do agree, it looks sloppy. In my last week in uniform I was walking up to Victory Station from MB (in a suit) and there were two guardsmen - striding along, hands in pockets. I could have ignored it, but I didn't. I'd never do it in uniform and that the rules also apply to them;so I stopped them and suggested that they remove hands in pockets and 'proceed in a soldierly fashion'. I showed them my 1250/MD 90 to reinforce the point. Standards, old bean!

My point is this - I have regularly worked in establishments where there are regular entries in daily orders, reminders and other notices telling people to not use mobile phones in public in uniform, particularly not in headgear. This is usually followed by stern reminders to all nco's and officers to deal with 'offenders' who don't meet the standards of the service.
By sitting outside mod, in full view of the world and in taking a call when it could have been discretely done out of sight, is this not undermining the same guidance values and standards that his officers are expected to impose?
I doubt the world cares, the majority of the public certainly dont care what the military does with mobile phones.
As for values and standards, how are yours in not gripping seniors officers in your capacity of reserve officer?

I think he's trying to say that now that almost nobody smokes, using a mobile is the only non-work thing you can grip service personnel for doing while they are wearing head dress.

I think he should have set an example and stepped in.

I'm in Jim's gang on this. Surely rules should be for all or not at all?

I was on an RAF MOB once where the Stn Cdr couldn't pass the (laughably easy) RAF Fitness Test, but would castigate his blokes and girls who were in the same boat. Leadership by "Do as I say and not as I do".........

I'm in Jim's gang on this. Surely rules should be for all or not at all?
What are the rules in the main building for mobiles?

Since when has there not been a rule saying, "do as I say, not what I do"?

CplFoodspoiler

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I am not (contrary to all perceptions) a diehard stuck in the wool traditionalist.

I hope I have managed to work this out;

a. You are not a die-hard traditionalist.
b. You are not a stick in the mud.
and neither are you
c. Dyed in the wool.

I hate mixed metaphor's, hardly rocket surgery is it?

"Wandering past MOD south entrance today, i walked past someone who was the spitting image of a very well known serving 4* who was by the disabled access ramp in uniform (inc headgear) taking a mobile phone call. As i walked into the building he'd sat against one of the railings and continued talking"

I'm sure a polite explanation, after waiting patiently but visibly for the end of the call, would have been well received with a sheepish grin, thus preserving your own V&S and maintaining your personal integrity by not having to use the web to sound off to people who ain't even in the soldiers.

Z

Zarathustra

Since when were soldiers banned from using mobile phones in public?

I'd always been told that if you need to take a phone call whilst, for example, walking around camp then you should stand to one side and take the call.

This includes whilst in Bn, on courses at various sites around the country and whilst being posted to RMAS.

The slouching thing is different but as a 4* who is going to tell him otherwise?

Kev - you are completely correct - had I not been running late for another meeting I may well have said 'excuse me Sir, I was always told that' because the worst that can happen is that I can be told I'm wrong. Very happy to be proven wrong on this, but it was always rammed home to me that you should never use mobile phones outside in uniform, particularly with headgear on. Maybe its a Navy thing?

Maybe it's a tedious **** thing.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk