Very rare copy of the autobiography of Lt Colonel A D Wintle

In this auction you can bid for a very rare copy of the autobiography of Lt Colonel A D Wintle.

It's a hard back, obviously more than 40 years old and the cover does reflect this but it is intact.

Somewhere along the line a drop of something has fallen on the cover (see picture). It looks like a 40 year old book would look.

The item was kindly donated by CQMS.

Please note that the auction will run until 11th November 16:00 hrs UK time.

copy_wintle_autobio.jpg

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I couldn't possibly top that offer and I already have the book but just thought I'd say that you are absolutely going to enjoy it if you have not read it before. Wintle was mad as a fish and seriously heroic.

Please bid for this - you will not be disappointed! I already have a copy, which I won't let out of my sight. I have been offered £200 plus for it, but I consider it irreplaceable.

It is very rare and very hard to get hold of: when I was seeking my copy some years ago (about 18!), most of the available copies were in America. As luck would have it, I was then given one by an old friend.

Wintle - what a man. I try and use at least one of his quotes once a week. Get a flavour of the chap here:

Alfred Wintle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm chuffed to bits reading this thread - I picked up a copy of this a couple of years ago in a charity shop for a pound! In fantastic condition, it'll jump to the top of my reading list (when I can locate the box it is in).

Afraid I can't top the bid but a true character. Imprisoned in the Tower or London and smuggled himself out to France in WW2, IIRC. Good luck to the successful bidder.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
In honour of Wintle and of the RBL I will donate 5% of whatever it raises.

£250.00 -

Some quotes from the great man:

"I am never bored when I am present." - on being asked upon his release from prison if he had found it boring.
"It may have escaped your attention, but there is no fighting to be done in England." - on being told he was being removed from active duty against his will following an injury.
"No true gentleman would ever unfurl one" - Wintle discussing his umbrella
"This umbrella was stolen from Col. A.D. Wintle" - note left in his permanently furled umbrella
"Time spent dismounted can never be regained,"
"No true gentleman would ever leave home without one" - of his monocle