Very rare copy of the autobiography of Lt Colonel A D Wintle

Discussion in 'Remembrance - Auctions forum' started by YesItsMe, Nov 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

In this auction you can bid for a very rare copy of the autobiography of Lt Colonel A D Wintle.

It's a hard back, obviously more than 40 years old and the cover does reflect this but it is intact.

Somewhere along the line a drop of something has fallen on the cover (see picture). It looks like a 40 year old book would look.

The item was kindly donated by CQMS.

Please note that the auction will run until 11th November 16:00 hrs UK time.

copy_wintle_autobio.jpg

2. Had to google him but £20 to start the ball rolling.

3. YesItsMe

Thank you, fairmaidofperth. :)

4. Very rare book indeed £125.00

5. YesItsMe

Thank you for your bid, The_Featherman. :)

6. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I couldn't possibly top that offer and I already have the book but just thought I'd say that you are absolutely going to enjoy it if you have not read it before. Wintle was mad as a fish and seriously heroic.

7. Please bid for this - you will not be disappointed! I already have a copy, which I won't let out of my sight. I have been offered £200 plus for it, but I consider it irreplaceable.

It is very rare and very hard to get hold of: when I was seeking my copy some years ago (about 18!), most of the available copies were in America. As luck would have it, I was then given one by an old friend.

Wintle - what a man. I try and use at least one of his quotes once a week. Get a flavour of the chap here:

Alfred Wintle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8. BuggerAll

9. I'm chuffed to bits reading this thread - I picked up a copy of this a couple of years ago in a charity shop for a pound! In fantastic condition, it'll jump to the top of my reading list (when I can locate the box it is in).

10. Afraid I can't top the bid but a true character. Imprisoned in the Tower or London and smuggled himself out to France in WW2, IIRC. Good luck to the successful bidder.

11. Gbp 150,=

• Like Like x 1
  12. YesItsMe

Thank you, Sapper D. :)

13. BuggerAll

In honour of Wintle and of the RBL I will donate 5% of whatever it raises.

• Like Like x 1