Very boring thread but really pissing me off

I've been pondering over the last hour or so (yes I’m that sad) about the expression bear/bare in mind.
Which is the correct lexis?
I've always thought it was "bare" in the same fashion as in "the right to bare arms" so in other words the right to hold arms. So expression means "hold in mind".
But whenever I see it written, "bear" all I think is a bloody great grizzly. Is it just peoples using the more frequent application of the word bear?

Anyway I am consulting ARRSE's eternal wisdom once more however I still maintain it is and should be spelt "bare" until I’m proved wrong.
Yes it is boring and I expect it will be move to the ARRSE hole however it's really bugging me.

Edd

edd1989 said:
I've been pondering over the last hour or so (yes I’m that sad) about the expression bear/bare in mind.
I've always thought it was "bare" in the same fashion as in "the right to bare arms" so in other words the right to hold arms. So expression means "hold in mind".
But whenever I see it written, "bear" all I think is a bloody great grizzly. Is it just peoples using the more frequent application of the word bear?

Anyway I am consulting ARRSE's eternal wisdom once more however I still maintain it is and should be spelt "bare" until I’m proved wrong.
Yes it is boring and I expect it will be move to the ARRSE hole however it's really bugging me.

Edd
'tis bear in mind. Same as it is bear arms (not bare arms mate - unless you're talking about shirt-sleeve order) :wink:

Thanks all the same E-Layer. But bear in mind that though a shite thread...

"Who's more of a fool? The fool, or the fool who follows him?

Anyway I make better posts than bloody chimpy

Edd

Angus_McCoatup said:
ffs !!! anyone who replies on this thread must be some sad t**t - -
Doh !!!!!
Angus, would that be Doh!!!!!, Dough!!!!! or Doe!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

edd1989 said:

Edd
Look, simple answer is;

To Bear - means to carry
To Bare - means to uncover

Which are you? ........Don't tell us, make a cup of cocoa, go to bed and think about it..............................there's a nice fella!

Concur about it being a shite thread and of course it's 'bear in mind' as in hold it in mind..you obviously get confuddled through thinking about bare/naked things too much 8)
Whilst we are on this though I have a similar one that I can never remember...is it "Hear hear" or "Here here"?
Yes I know it's obvious..but only when you know the answer! :oops:

Nehustan

On ROPS
On ROPs
skintboymike said:
Nehustan said:
Dont_Fear_The_Reaper said:
Angus_McCoatup said:
ffs !!! anyone who replies on this thread must be some sad t**t - -
Doh !!!!!
Angus, would that be Doh!!!!!, Dough!!!!! or Doe!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now lets hear you all sing along...

"Doe, a deer, a female deer
Ray, a drop of golden sun..."
Sing a long what?
You choose, you have 8 notes to pick from. Maybe one at the higher pitch near a glass, touch of vibrato and...

[align=center]
[/align]

sparkylass said:
Concur about it being a shite thread and of course it's 'bear in mind' as in hold it in mind..you obviously get confuddled through thinking about bare/naked things too much 8)
Whilst we are on this though I have a similar one that I can never remember...is it "Hear hear" or "Here here"?
Yes I know it's obvious..but only when you know the answer! :oops:
Dear Straight Dope:

When you agree with someone, do you say "Here Here!" or "Hear Hear" ? And what does it mean? What is the origin of "Here Here" or "Hear Hear"? --Tymoma195

SDSTAFF Veg replies:

The correct term is, "hear, hear!" It is an abbreviation for "hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!"

Of course, if the speaker is actually asking a question, such as "and just where do you think we should open the new strip club?" it's not hard to imagine that at least one yahoo in attendance might yell, "here, here!" But this would be the exception that proves the rule.
Try this..... I hate the fucking RAF

Hear hear is an expression that originated as hear him, usually repeated. This imperative was used to call attention to a speaker's words, and naturally developed the sense of a broad expression of favour. This is how it is still used today, although one can always vary one's tone to express different sentiments; the Oxford English Dictionary noted around the turn of the century that the phrase is now the regular form of cheering in the House of Commons, and expresses, according to intonation, admiration, acquiescence, indignation, derision, etc.

As a parliamentary cheer, hear him, hear him! is first recorded in the late 17th century and continued into the 19th; the reduction to hear! or hear, hear! occurred by the late 18th century. However, the use of the verb hear as an imperative meaning listen! is older: a notable example is the parliamentary-sounding Then cried a wise woman out of the city, Hear, hear (King James Bible, 2 Samuel 20 verse 16).
Another one .......I hate the fucking RAF

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
So it's Hear, Hear for a good speaker in parliment and the right to BEAR arms whilst removing a treasonous piece of [shoite, shite, shiste, sh!t, sh@t, p00h, cacka, droppings, ****-effluent, turd, cr@p, crud, pat] Prime Minister who sells out the Union without so much as a 'fcuk you very much'

Why is the Prime Minister called a Prime Minister?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Biped said:
So it's Hear, Hear for a good speaker in parliment and the right to BEAR arms whilst removing a treasonous piece of [shoite, shite, shiste, sh!t, sh@t, p00h, cacka, droppings, ****-effluent, turd, cr@p, crud, pat] Prime Minister who sells out the Union without so much as a 'fcuk you very much'

Why is the Prime Minister called a Prime Minister?
Because the phrase 'The fukcing w@nk-stain who took our once proud country and turned it into a pile of sh1t' was considered too long for the headed paper.

M

Mr_Logic

Apparently a picture paints a thousand words.

What we need here are some pictures giving examples of bear and bare. There are some interesting bare ladies on the wimmin and tattoos thread.

If we get the pictures right we are bound to see at least one large growler.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hijack the thread alert!

One that really irrigates my colon (it irritates the sh1t out of me: geddit?) is when people expand ASCII to be American Standard Code for Information Interchange. Search for that string on the www and you get gazillions of hits. Google for the correct expansion and you get maybe a dozen. One of them is the actual American Standard for Character Information Interchange, available from the American National Standards Institute (ANSI: think BSI) but it costs a lot of money to download (it did the last time I looked).

So many people have used it incorrectly for so many years without being corrected that the wrong expansion has become the de facto expansion.

Besides, EBCDIC (Extended Binary-Coded Digital Information Code) is a single code which works better and doesn't give those of us in the trade the problems that ASCII does, having to change code pages to get the right symbols. Not that I am bitter, you understand.