Venus Fly Traps

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by dave8307, Aug 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bimbled into Homebase yesterday to buy a socket set and at the checkout they had Venus Fly Traps on sale. Now, in the past I've bought house plants for Mrs Dave which have not been watered for days and when I've got them home the poor things have invariably expired.

We live in the country and occasionally we are plagued by flies so when my eyes dropped on these plants I was intrigued...my kids have had them in the past and been quite disappointed.

Anyway, this one was also dry but I thought I'd take a gamble. Took him home and gave Victor (sorry!!) some water and this morning fed a live fly to the little rascal. Imagine my surprise when the fly struggled and Victor's leaves clamped shut. The little tinker is gradually sucking the life out of the fly and I'm dead chuffed.

Am I weird?? Don't all answer at once, please :D :roll:

2. Cow

Cow LE

Nah, I had one and was forever trying to feed it flies. Died in the end though, don't water them to much as they rot.

3. I've got one myself, I call it the wife, as it's slowly sucking the life out of me (& not in a good way either).

4. Wronnng...

VFTs are bog plants that need to be kept wet...

Stand the pot in a larger one with no drain hole (such as a marge tub) and keep half full of water. Better you use rainwater rather than the stuff out the tap..

Needs a sunny location ... and don't keep poking the leaves to get them to shut!

Why has the NAFFI suddenly turned into a gardening/car repair forum all of a sudden...?

I suppose I should make some remark about Dale rearing these in her bedroom...

5. Dale does car repairs in her bedroom :? :? :?

6. Cow

Cow LE

I tried that, the leaves all rotted away from the base of the plant, Geeky page on how to grow and look after them. Think I'll get another and see what happens!

7. She can suck start a bedford I believe??

8. Oooh now you've done it... 8O

Start the clock...

9. Well it might just tempt the flies away from her clout.

10. Ah yes, this is getting more like NAAFI now :twisted:

Dale noshes-off Bedfords 8O

11. ......I thought anything goes in the NAAFI - when I was in it was the place to go to discuss such riveting subjects like knitting, (c)ooking, gardening and chatting up the laydees. Those subjects were likely to make a laydee go weak at the knees. :)

12. Fcuk me, Mistersoft, those ironing boards are amazing!!!!

13. I don’t know anything about caring for plants, but someone wrote into the Viz to tell them he had invented the Anus Fly Trap. Apparently you tie some thread around a match and then use it to prize apart and hold open your bum cheeks. When a fly lands on your ring you pull the thread and SNAP!! Got the bastard!

14. ....and there was I (as a Woolyback) thinking I'd seen everything that a Scouser could throw at me.

Isn't life full of surprises????