Venison Steaks

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Grownup_Rafbrat, Feb 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

OK, folks I'm looking for help here.

In a moment of madness (well, they were cheap ....) I have bought a couple of venison steaks.

Only when I got them home and into my freezer did I realise that I have never cooked a venison steak before. I've cooked other joints of venison, and steaks of other creatures, but this is a first! My current crop of recipe books isn't a lot of help unless I want to casserole them, and that seems a waste, so over to the arrse cookery experts.

How should I prepare them?

Thank you.
  2. What joint were the steaks cut from?
  3. It's all down to personal taste. Defrost them fully up to room temperature. Never cook Venison from fridge temperature. I like to grind some green peppercorns in a pestle & mortar along with finely diced garlic and rub it into the steaks an hour before cooking.

If we have grilled bacon or sausages I would always keep some of the ran off fat and pour it into a ramekin & keep for up to 3 days in the fridge. Use a couple of teaspoons of this as the oil for frying them in. I like to sear our steaks both sides them turn the flame down. Delicous with M&S Rostie Potatoes, nice peppery sauce avec shallots and either giant Field Mushies or Portabello Mushies. A wee drizzle of Pinotage or Cab Sav in the skillet also infuses nicely.

You have put me in the notion of a bit of Bambi's Dad later in the week !! :hungry:
  4. Sear it both sides, then cook to required rarety serve with seasonal veggies, mash and a red wine reduction. Yummy. As to its actual cooking, I cook it the same as I would a beef steak, that may be wrong, but it works for me.
  5. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

GRAFB - OK, so a venison steak is a more delicate thing than people give it credit for.

So let's start with a Venison Carpaccio Salad.

Killaloe is right, defrost slowly and bring to room temperature, ensure any excess blood and mositure is wiped off.

Now, get lots of fresh Rosemary, Thyme (both herbs finely chopped) , Salt & Pepper. One clove of garlic.

Finely chop the garlic and then sprinkle some sea salt, rub the knife over to form a paste. Mix with olive oil and add the herbs and pepper.

Rub into the meat to form a Carpaccio herb crust.

Heat a pan up to as hot as it will go - smoking hot. Sear the meat quickly to seal the meat.

Serve on a plate in very thin slices with sliced (again paper thin) radishes, beets and Rocket. Season with Olive Oil, salt & pepper.

Vension carpaccio salad........Done.
  6. mysteron

Other classics for a Venison Steak.

Vension Steak with Braised Red cabbage, Chanteray Carrots and an Olive Oil Mash.

First, remove the tough outer leaves of the cabbage, cut it into quarters and remove the hard stalk.

Then shred the rest of the cabbage finely.

Next, in a fairly large casserole, arrange a layer of shredded cabbage seasoned with salt and pepper, then a layer of chopped onions and apples with a sprinkling of garlic, spices (Cinammon, cloves, nutmeg that sort of thing) and sugar.

Continue with these alternate layers until everything is in. Now pour in some red wine vinegar, lastly add dots of butter on the top.

Put a tight lid on the casserole and let it cook very slowly in the oven for 2-2½ hours, stirring everything around once or twice during the cooking.

Now, Olive Oil Mash - not as hard as everyone frets about.

For the olive oil mash, place the potatoes into a large saucepan and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt, place on the heat and bring to the boil.
    Simmer the peeled spuds (King Teddy's, Maris Pipers) for 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain well and return to the pan over a low heat for a few seconds to remove any excess moisture (don't worry if you dry them a little too much, the oil will sort that out). Mash well, adding the olive oil to slacken and flavour the potatoes (if you want it really creamy (use a food processor gently adding the oil as you go) - it is important that you taste often so the oil is not all encompassing. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Chanteray carrots. Top & Tail. Blanch for 4 mins. Set aside to cool. In the last few minutes before serving, heat a pan with some butter & oil (heat until just begins to foam), add the carrots, coating well in the butter mix, reduce the heat and season to taste.

Venison Steak. Pat with Oil, season & Griddle for about 2 mins each side turning twice for that lovely cross hatch effect.

Vension Steak with Braised Red cabbage, Chanteray Carrots and an Olive Oil Mash.........Done.
  7. Is a tenner for 8 legs to dear?
  8. mysteron

Venison Steak with Parmesan & Cauliflower Mash.

Soooooo, half and half potatoes and cauliflower. Boil at a simmer for 10 -15 mins until tender. Into a wide pan on a low heat to get rid of the excess liquid. Into the Food processor with a goo dose of butter and generous shavings of Parmiggenio Reggiano, plenty of pepper, go easy on the salt (the saltiness of the cheese will cover it).

Griddle the venison as described above, serve with a lovely leafy salad with plenty of oil and balsamic vinegar.

Venison Steak with Parmesan & Cauliflower Mash.....Done.

Edited for mong speedtyping
  9. mysteron

Xtype - nope - seems like a pretty good deal - unless they are mega scrawny..........I am assuming that they were killed in the game season and not poached?
  10. mysteron

How to make venison sausages:

2 lbs of meat
    2 Tablespoons salt
    I tablespoon english mustard
    1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
    1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    1 clove of finely chopped garlic
    Half a handful of Finely chopped Thyme & Flat leaf Parsley (I will not allow the filthy curly stuff near my food)
    100g japanese breadcrums
    50ml of water.

Mix all together, get your cases, fill them to about 6" lengths, twist and batch into half dozens. Cook, freeze or give 'em away.

Venison Sausages......Done.
  11. mysteron

Want anymore?????
  12. mucking fuppet!!!!
  13. mysteron

I just realised how badly wah'd I was then - serves me right for loving to eat bambi so much.
  14. me too! I may have to pop over to Borough Market and get a couple of steaks for Friday night!
  15. I don't do cut the horns off, wipe its arrse and show it a flame

So what would you recommend