VEng Poll

VEng - Yes or No

  • Yes - I accepted the offer

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - I declined the offer

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
#1
If you've been offered VEng which box did you tick?

Give us a reason for your choice too if you want.
 
#4
I accepted for once it is a win/win situation, you can serve the extra two years if you want, or alternatively just put your notice in at 21 years and leave as normal. That's my reasoning anyway, whether I take up the option of the extra two years is still to be answered
 
#5
I took the two extra years, but then I firmly believe that in the next two years we will be out of both the 'Stan and Iraq. We will deploy an extra Div to Germany and the LOA will be increased by 75%. I then intend to spend my last 11 years in the land of milk and honey.
 
#6
How much does your pension go up if you do 24 years (on the AFPS 75)?

Is 24/37ths of full pension or is it greater or what?
 
#9
Oh, I don't know an extra £800 (nearly) for just two more years. Not to mentin the extra wedge from two years of payslips.
 
#10
Yeah but if you leave early your pay will jump from 35-45k to upwards of 70k (we have tech sgt contractors starting now on £4-500 a day)

Beats an increase of £800
 
#11
It is something to consider.

How long do those contracts last for? And is there any chance of them drying up?
 
#12
I'm accepting for the same reasons as Timebandit. Currently i intend to chin it at 22 years however who knows what my situation will be (i reach 22 in just over 5 years time). I can chose to serve on for another 2 or chin it as i planned.
 
#13
Same detail, have about 7 years left, and will probably pull the pin for 22.

But you never know, kids may need a bit longer at school or maybe the Mrs can work a bit longer somewhere. The two years could come in handy.

I know of a fair few blokes who have moved to teh MPGS. One I know definitly only did it because he couldn't afford a house in the area, didn't want to stay in the area to settle any way, but the Mrs had a cracking job, just been promoted and been put on a course that would help her get a better job when they did move. He did 3 years on the gate, then retired... again. (on a WO2 22 year pension and a Pte's wage).

Another stayed for the kids. Stayed in until the kid had finished college (1 year I think) then did one.
 
#14
rtfm-fool said:
Yeah but if you leave early your pay will jump from 35-45k to upwards of 70k (we have tech sgt contractors starting now on £4-500 a day)

Beats an increase of £800
Notwithstanding the possibility of increased wages in civvy street you should note that each year you serve beyond 22 is a year you aren't drawing your pension - effectively a £10k+ a year pay CUT.

It will take a long time to claw £20k back at £800 a year.....

I think it may be worth signing up for VEng for the added option of 2 extra years but to improve the pension? No.

It remains to be seen whether those on VEng will be treated differently on promotion boards than those who remain on Open.

I chose not to expose myself to the risk of adverse treatment.
 
#15
DII(F) contracts, lot's of guys are jumping ship from EDS at the moment and am hearing whispers that they are going to heavily cut back their presence in the UK.

Still getting a lot of muppets coming from EDS though, but with a few years experience of AD or exchange, tech background and a min of SC (DV preferred) you would start on a min of £350 a day as a tester or maybe even implementation engineer. Good design experience will get you £600 a day easily.
 
#16
thegeezer said:
rtfm-fool said:
It remains to be seen whether those on VEng will be treated differently on promotion boards than those who remain on Open.
Bare in mind that VEng will be tied to a specific trade and LSN/JPA number (that is why it will be offered to certain people).

Promotion would take you out of that offer, unless there was a specific shortage at the next rank and your position could be filled.

It will be completely at Royal Signals Wing(MCM) discretion.

We tried to pin the RCMO down on this point but failed, I very much doubt that if you are on VEng you will be boarded for the next rank as it defeats the object.

Its not about extending your career to 55 (thats just the spin) its about plugging gaps that meet the needs of the Corps and the Army as a whole.

It will be ideal for some and I wish them good luck :D
 
#17
thegeezer said:
It remains to be seen whether those on VEng will be treated differently on promotion boards than those who remain on Open.
As far as I can tell, the bit that says VEng or Open will NOT be looked at on boards. It will make no odds at all. The boards are busy enough without having to check what engagement you are on.
 

IS Ski Geek

War Hero
Moderator
#18
I declined the offer as I will not be staying past my 22.

Hopefully it will leave the opportunity for someone else and save someone some unnecessary paperwork I realise it is a win win situation but if I am not going to use it then someone else can.

I had a brief on it the other day and asked the question that if they are aiming it towards 3% for stage 3 which they expect to be Supervisory trades.

How many supervisory trades have taken continuance. The answer none.

If a Supervisory trade has not gone for LECB by his 22/24 then is he likely to stay on till he is 55 or do you think he will go to civvy street and earn a wedge?

I think they may be misguided in what they hope to achieve with veng.
 
#19
IS Ski Geek said:
How many supervisory trades have taken continuance. The answer none.

If a Supervisory trade has not gone for LECB by his 22/24 then is he likely to stay on till he is 55 or do you think he will go to civvy street and earn a wedge?
We all know that there are significant shortages in the old bums to seats ratio across a number of trades, so I would expect VEng will help to balance demand and supply. Like IS Ski Geek I'm not convinced that many supervisory-level people will want to go onto Stage 3, as it represents going from a thrusting, competitive field to one with little or no prospects for promotion. Why, for example, would someone who was already at WO1 opt to serve another 15 years at the same rank. OK he'd be the senior member of the mess and he would be metaphorically "bulletproof" from criticism from a huge chunk of the officer corps, but I would personally judge that to be a very selfish approach. In contrast, the commercial world is far more cut-and-thrust and competitive, so most people who make it to the top of their game in our trades (notwithstanding those who go onto the LE circuit) should be able to compete with confidence in that marketplace when they leave.
 
#20
PoisonDwarf said:
IS Ski Geek said:
How many supervisory trades have taken continuance. The answer none.

If a Supervisory trade has not gone for LECB by his 22/24 then is he likely to stay on till he is 55 or do you think he will go to civvy street and earn a wedge?
We all know that there are significant shortages in the old bums to seats ratio across a number of trades, so I would expect VEng will help to balance demand and supply. Like IS Ski Geek I'm not convinced that many supervisory-level people will want to go onto Stage 3, as it represents going from a thrusting, competitive field to one with little or no prospects for promotion. Why, for example, would someone who was already at WO1 opt to serve another 15 years at the same rank. OK he'd be the senior member of the mess and he would be metaphorically "bulletproof" from criticism from a huge chunk of the officer corps, but I would personally judge that to be a very selfish approach. In contrast, the commercial world is far more cut-and-thrust and competitive, so most people who make it to the top of their game in our trades (notwithstanding those who go onto the LE circuit) should be able to compete with confidence in that marketplace when they leave.
If I am correct PD, you can still go on the LECB, even on VENG, so why stay at WO1 for 15 years (unless you want to of course).
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top