Venezuela to buy Russian weaponry worth $2 bln

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by KGB_resident, May 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://en.rian.ru/business/20080512/107175661.html

According to Russian newspaper Kommersant (as a rule well informed)...

Likely the planners in Pentagon would take it into account.

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

??????? Who are Venezuala planning to have a fight with?

3. Si vis pacem, para bellum

is a Latin adage translated as, "If you want peace, prepare for war".

I suppose that our American friends would be concerned.

4. evil terrorist backing tyranny
    or if had brought us kit
    defenders of democracy :roll:

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

My bold.

Yup, terrified!!!

6. Hold on...how is the IL-76 less outdated than the Herc? I thought they were a very similar vintage?

7. I think there new builds and the design dates back from the 70's.

8. Maybe the FAV find it hard to get C130 parts? Just a thought. Mind you, Iran doesn't seem to have that drama.

9. How long till Chavez's term in office is over? He wasn't able to get his population to vote for the constitutional change that would make him el presidente for life so chances are he'll attempt to hold on to power the good old fashioned way dictators have over the decades. Not going to work too well for him unless he purges his military though... in which case this shiny gear will be even less effective than it will be on delivery date should we actually bother to do something about him.

10. As Biped said "who are they going to fight"? especially with a whole 4 boats, of which at least one will be on servicing, repair, or merely in harbour between patrols, therefore leaving 3 to patrol a lot of water and coastline. Sounds like a force to be feared.

11. How much Russian kit could we get with our defence budget?

12. Bearing in mind that Chavez is more than a little pumped up with his own inflated sense of self worth. He be planning to repel and attack from the US. He has been a tick on their side for a bit. I doubt even Bush will take a swipe at him right now, but never let facts ruin a good dictatorial rant.

13. Iran has its own aerospace industry to make parts. Not worked on their F14's though.