Venezuela strikes £500m deal to buy Russian submarines

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Jun 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.guardian.co.uk/venezuela/story/0,,2103589,00.html

2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

They'll have to move sharpish to train up their senior people for the crews then. Any old fool can buy a submarine but its the use of them that's tricky. And I suggest that even Chavez will be gone by the time they're delivered and operational.

Oh and for those interested the "Amur" class is known in Russia as the "Lada" class. I beleive the NATO designation for spotters is "Skip." :twisted:

3. 50mill a sub.... lets hope he doesn't get stiffed with huge servicing contracts beacause they can't negotiate a contract :)

4. Bouillabaisse

I would assume that the £500m is for the 1st 5 boats, so £100m per boat, but still pretty good. Perhaps we should be thinking about it for the RN.

5. Project 626 boat is 'The quietest submarine' according to this source

http://www.military.com/Content/MoreContent1?file=SubSpecial_Kilo

6. And us military contractors are as we speak speeding to the pentagon with plans for a 12 billion dollar anti submarine system :D

7. Bouillabaisse

Sergey, You might want to discuss its quietness with the Germans, Swedes or French, since their diesel boats are pretty good. The Kilo strength is in the price and teh political statement it sends.

8. Who says the crews have to be Venezuelan to get them operational?

Plenty of ex-Red Banner Nort..... ooops Russian Navy bods knocking about who I imagine would jump at the chance to practice their old trade again.

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Kilo class subs have been around for a while, and even though they may have been improved, are old news compared to modern western subs.

If the US goes up against Venezuela, I doubt the septics will have too much bother finding and neutralising them.

I think what the septics are doing is generally trying to sound worried and blowing some hot air around because of the belligerence of Chavez towards the US. The subs are certainly no threat to the US.

10. I beg to differ VERY STRONGLY about Kilo class subs being 'the Lada's of submarines'....

11. And you only have to look at the success rate of Chilean SSKs against the US Navy in exercises to question Biped's comment about the level of threat these could pose.

12. Biped, suppose that our American friends would like to impose something like naval blocade of Venezuela. How difficult would be such an operation with and without Venezuelan submarine fleet?

Let's regard this situation: American warship detains a tanker with Venezuelan oil and 'unknown' submarine sinks it.

13. Bouillabaisse

I never said they were. I was merely observing that the Russians have chosen an unfortunate name for their newer class of diesel boat (L following K in the alphabet and all that). Very difficult to have real credibility at a naval conference when you're threatening your enemy with a Lada :D

As to the US dealing with a Venezuelan sub threat - its all about the resources you throw at it. A battlegroup exercise in the Pacific would not have the same level of aircraft cover as a real shooting war in the southern Carribean. Lots of MPA coverage means dead boats - they have to snort and that'll kill them.

14. You know Sergey, for a mathematician (am I right?) you have an unusual tendency towards theorising, which with you is usually a cover for coat-trailing. However, going with your supposition, I suggest that were such a scenario to happen, Chavez - like similar South American 'big men' - would have his arse handed to him on a plate (see Cubans in Angola, Argentines in the Falklands...). Regardless of their place on the political spectrum, leaders such as Chavez are inevitably found out to be posturing windbags when someone actually calls their bluff. History is littered with the political careers of such blow-hards.

Rhetoric has a habit of falling apart when confronted by reality.

Chavez will provide a cheap thrill for the anti-American left for a while longer, but it will all end in tears.

15. read a theory more chavez spends on arms more spams talk bollocks about the "threat"
    = price of oil going up = chavez has more cash to buy toys :twisted: