Venezuela - coup d'état?

Must remember that next time you quote them.
I use to quote Reuters to please @scalieback as he is a big fan of this news agency.
Reuters uses to mask its fake news by a huge volume of correct information that can be easily checked.
However, if Reuters publish something 'exclusive', something that can not be found in other (much more reliable sources), that can not be checked, verified then attention is needed.

Last edited:
I use to quote Reuters to please @scalieback as he is a big fan of this news agency.
Reuters uses to maks its fake news by a huge volume of correct information that can be easily checked.
However, if Reuters publish something 'exclusive', something that can not be found in other (much more reliable sources), that can not be checked, verified then attention is needed.
I understood none of that. When's shift change?

Reuters is unreliable source and the only source that published these allegations with reference to so called 'internal documents' that could not exist.
The whole story could be just fake news or at best fantasies mixed with real facts.
You taking the piss? You, an amoral consortium of trolls paid to lie for a war criminal, calling someone else unreliable?

Liar.

Thank you for your remark. However, I'm not sure that expression 'you may hear' is not correct in this contexts and expression 'you may listen to' is the only right option.
hear | Definition of hear in English by Oxford Dictionaries
The verb 'to hear' has different meanings including 'to listen to' as one of them.
Using 'to hear' I meant not only 'to listen to' but also proposed to 'be aware', 'to pay attention'.
I believe that the phrase below is absolutely correct English one and it is exactly what I did mean.
And you may hear and see things that you really don't want to.
'You may hear' in the context you used it, is incorrect. However, you (or at least one of you, is known for your poor English compared with (at least) another one of you
I am, simply because it annoys you after they quoted Bellingcat on MH17.
Reuters uses to maks its fake news by a huge volume of correct information that can be easily checked.
Still renowned internationally as the most correct
Sometimes, single source reporting, but more often than not they are proven correct.

Anyway, back on topic, how are you feeling about somebody who you said if the same happened in Russia you wouldn't support?

Reuters is unreliable source and the only source that published these allegations with reference to so called 'internal documents' that could not exist.
The whole story could be just fake news or at best fantasies mixed with real facts.
Reuters unreliable?

I guess you think RT & Pravda are founts of impeccable objectivity & unbiased truth.

You're just another of Putin's poodles.

'You may hear' in the context you used it, is incorrect. However, you (or at least one of you, is known for your poor English compared with (at least) another one of you
For me personally the difference between 'you may hear' and 'you may listen to' is too subtle.
I am, simply because it annoys you after they quoted Bellingcat on MH17.
Fake news agency quoted fake news maker - big deal.
Still renowned internationally as the most correct
I strongly doubt. Maybe long ago it was right but not now.
Sometimes, single source reporting, but more often than not they are proven correct.
I repeat my principle (I told about it previously many times). Something that is known from the only source is no more than allegation. Only information confirmed by at least two independent sources can be regarded as fact.
Reuters published some allegations. They could be correct or could not be correct.
Anyway, back on topic, how are you feeling about somebody who you said if the same happened in Russia you wouldn't support?
Please, clarify you question. What do you mean by 'the same'? What exactly 'somebody' has done (in the context your question)?

Last edited:
For me personally the difference between 'you may hear' and 'you may listen to' is too suble.

I repeat my principle (I told about it previously many times). Something that is known from the only source is no more than allegation. Only information confirmed by at least two independent sources can be regarded as fact.
Reuters published some allegations. They could be correct or could not be correct.

Please, clarify you question. What do you mean by 'the same'? What exactly 'somebody' has done (in the context your question)?
Your lies became too obvious by the second paragraph.
Recall if you will that the only nation not accepting the MH17 investigation and screaming "Fake Noos"! is the guilty party.
Russia.
Sponsor of warcrimes and tinpot dictatorships for the last century.
Anyway, back to Venezuela, liar.

For me personally the difference between 'you may hear' and 'you may listen to' is too suble.
I'm sure it is this week. Over the weekend it may become unfathomable, but next week it will all make sense. Can you guess why?

subtle btw
Coming from 'the mouth of Sauron' that's risible
I guess Russian google is broken again:
Top 5 Unbiased World News Websites Free From Censorship
Four UK news sources among top 10 most trusted in US – survey
What's the value of trusted news?
https://www.quora.com/How-reliable-is-Reuters
Reuters - Media Bias/Fact Check

Then again, you actually believe the garbage spouted by what you call 'Putin's agitprop'

You should occasionally try to remove those blinkers.
One of the previous incumbents of your account said they wouldn't be happy with Putin completing a Presidential election, banning the Communist Party as an example and ignoring the Duma, then bringing in foreign soldiers to support his regime.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/venezuela-coup-détat.290125/page-13#post-9064068
243 to 250

I'm sure it is this week. Over the weekend it may become unfathomable, but next week it will all make sense. Can you guess why?

subtle btw

Coming from 'the mouth of Sauron' that's risible

I guess Russian google is broken again:
Top 5 Unbiased World News Websites Free From Censorship
Four UK news sources among top 10 most trusted in US – survey
What's the value of trusted news?
https://www.quora.com/How-reliable-is-Reuters
Reuters - Media Bias/Fact Check

Then again, you actually believe the garbage spouted by what you call 'Putin's agitprop'

You should occasionally try to remove those blinkers.

One of the previous incumbents of your account said they wouldn't be happy with Putin completing a Presidential election, banning the Communist Party as an example and ignoring the Duma, then bringing in foreign soldiers to support his regime.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/venezuela-coup-détat.290125/page-13#post-9064068
243 to 250
I know pretty well how corrupted is Putin's regime and how biased are his agitprop outlets.
Reuters in this context is nothing more than fake news agitprop agency.
I just compare the styles. They are very close to each other.

PS. As for my typos then thanks for corrections. With my fat fingers they are unavoidable.

Last edited:
I know pretty well how corrupted is Putin's regime and how biased are his agitprop outlets.
Reuters in this context is nothing more than fake news agitprop agency.
I just compare the styles. They are very close to each other.
You’re serious? Oh well......
PS. As for my typos then thanks for corrections. With my fat fingers they are unavoidable.
Neva problema

Anyway, about supporting a regime which you said you wouldn’t want the same thing to happen in Russia? How does that sit with you?

You’re serious? Oh well......

Neva problema

Anyway, about supporting a regime which you said you wouldn’t want the same thing to happen in Russia? How does that sit with you?
For you the difference between the current ruling regime and Russia itself as a state as a nation with own national interests is subtle but for me it is huge. 'Putins' come and go out but Russia remains Russia.
Try to look at my posts from this angle.

For you the difference between the current ruling regime and Russia itself as a state as a nation with own national interests is subtle but for me it is huge. 'Putins' come and go out but Russia remains Russia.
Try to look at my posts from this angle.
Seriously? “‘Putins’ come and go”? From my angle you’ve had such autocratic and perceived ‘strong’ rulers from the early days and appear to relish them.

The point once again (which you are deliberately ignoring), is that actions similar to what Maduro did you would not be in favour of in your own country.

Seriously? “‘Putins’ come and go”? From my angle you’ve had such autocratic and perceived ‘strong’ rulers from the early days and appear to relish them.
Nothing can last forever. Russia was and is beyond Europe in development of political system, democracy, civil society and so on. Let's recall how Europe, North America looked 80, 180 years ago. Dictatorships, colonial system, slavery... So called civilised world went a long way to reach its current state - btw, not absolutely perfect.
Russia could need decades just to reach the same state, the same level of development but it will happen later or sooner.
The point once again (which you are deliberately ignoring), is that actions similar to what Maduro did you would not be in favour of in your own country.
And what pres.Maduro has done exactly? Your question is unclear.

Last edited:
Nothing can last forever. Russia was and is beyond Europe in development of political system, democracy, civil society and so on. Let's recall how Europe, North America looked 80, 180 years ago. Dictatorships, colonial system, slavery... So called civilised world went a long way to reach its current state - btw, not absolutely perfect.
Russia could need decades just to reach the same state but it will happen later or sooner.
I admire your optimism
Discussed previously and you said you would not be happy with Putin completing such actions.

I admire your optimism

Discussed previously and you said you would not be happy with Putin completing such actions.
My poor memory refuses to supply me with respective info.
However it is a bit strange. Just minutes ago one member of @scalieback Reuters funded collective wrote that I haven't answered a question
But now you claim that I answered the question.
Funnily enough, but I don't remember the question and my so called 'answer'.

My poor memory refuses to supply me with respective info.
However it is a bit strange. Just minutes ago one member of @scalieback Reuters funded collective wrote that I haven't answered a question
Always with ‘the Reuter’s guff’ when you’re backed into a corner :)
But now you claim that I answered the question.
Funnily enough, but I don't remember the question and my so called 'answer'.
Your question was on ‘what has Maduro done?’, which you have said you wouldn’t agree with such actions if they occurred in Russia. I’ve already posted the link to the convo.

If you’re scared of admitting your double standards, I don’t blame you.

Russia could need decades just to reach the same state, the same level of development but it will happen later or sooner.

What utter fantastical & fabricated drivel.

The following story presents an interesting theory as to the cause of the recent blackout in Venezuela. Engineer: Satellite suggests fire caused Venezuela outage

To summarize, several Venezuelans have examined satellite photos of the area around the major transmission lines connecting eastern Venezuela to the rest of the country and say they've seen evidence of large forest or brush (the story isn't clear) fires where the transmission lines pass through very remote and inaccessible areas. Eastern Venezuela holds major hydroelectric power plants which provide much of the electricity to the rest of the country.
Working with an expert at Texas Tech University’s Geospatial Technologies Laboratory, Aguilar said satellite data indicates that on the day of the blackout there were three fires in close proximity to the 765-kilovolt lines transmitting power generated from the Guri Dam, which provides about 80 percent of Venezuela’s electricity.
They say that a fire near even one of the transmission lines would be "catastrophic" to the integrity of the system.
He said that a fire on even one of the three lines near the blazes could have been catastrophic.

“A fire of that nature has enough power to cripple the whole system,” he said.
The news story references other sources to claim that transmission like corridors in Venezuela have not been trimmed back sufficiently to prevent brush from growing underneath.
Engineers have warned for years that Venezuela’s state-run electricity corporation was failing to properly maintain power lines, letting brush that can catch fire during Venezuela’s hot, dry months to grow near and up the towering structures.
The Venezuelan quoted in the story said however that while this raises a possibility there is no definite evidence at this time that the cause was a fire, and that he would have to examine dispatch centre records to make any definite conclusions.
Aguilar said that despite the data to support a fire, he still couldn’t entirely discredit the possibility that something else crippled Venezuela’s power supply, saying he’d need to review dispatch center files to conclude definitively.
Rather interestingly, the blackout in eastern North America in the early 2000s was caused by a combination of hot weather and the failure of a major American utility to adequately trim the trees near their major transmission corridors, combined with crap monitoring software and inadequate operating staff. This blackout affected nearly twice as many people as the one in Venezuela. A few weeks later an even larger blackout in Europe affected even more people, with a similar root cause (failure to adequately control tree growth near major transmission lines). Roughly 100 people died as a result of the blackout in North America.

Given the history of major blackouts in North America and Europe caused by inadequate maintenance of transmission corridors, I find the theory that a similar cause was responsible for the blackout in Venezuela quite plausible. Of course no definitive answer can be made without an incident investigation, something that will take some time. The investigation in North America took six months.

The following story presents an interesting theory as to the cause of the recent blackout in Venezuela. Engineer: Satellite suggests fire caused Venezuela outage

To summarize, several Venezuelans have examined satellite photos of the area around the major transmission lines connecting eastern Venezuela to the rest of the country and say they've seen evidence of large forest or brush (the story isn't clear) fires where the transmission lines pass through very remote and inaccessible areas. Eastern Venezuela holds major hydroelectric power plants which provide much of the electricity to the rest of the country.

They say that a fire near even one of the transmission lines would be "catastrophic" to the integrity of the system.

The news story references other sources to claim that transmission like corridors in Venezuela have not been trimmed back sufficiently to prevent brush from growing underneath.

The Venezuelan quoted in the story said however that while this raises a possibility there is no definite evidence at this time that the cause was a fire, and that he would have to examine dispatch centre records to make any definite conclusions.

Rather interestingly, the blackout in eastern North America in the early 2000s was caused by a combination of hot weather and the failure of a major American utility to adequately trim the trees near their major transmission corridors, combined with crap monitoring software and inadequate operating staff. This blackout affected nearly twice as many people as the one in Venezuela. A few weeks later an even larger blackout in Europe affected even more people, with a similar root cause (failure to adequately control tree growth near major transmission lines). Roughly 100 people died as a result of the blackout in North America.

Given the history of major blackouts in North America and Europe caused by inadequate maintenance of transmission corridors, I find the theory that a similar cause was responsible for the blackout in Venezuela quite plausible. Of course no definitive answer can be made without an incident investigation, something that will take some time. The investigation in North America took six months.
The theory is at best doubtful. It doesn't explain fires on key power substations - 765kV substation San Geronimo and apparently on 230kV substation in Caracas.
Let's look at maps.
1552805257178.png

1552805273334.png

The route Guri - Malena - S.Geronimo - S.Teresa - Caracas is the most efficient to supply Venezuelan capital with electric power.
However there are alternative routes
Guri - El Tigre - Barbacoa - S.Teresa - Caracas
and apparently Caracas can be supplied with electric power using only 230kV lines.

Latest Threads