Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vendee. PRADA & Jules Verne Racing

Vendee Update.

Showing Alex in 15th at the moment, he must be frustrated with the boat right now failing before the Southern Ocean leaving the question will he need to back off chasing the lead and take care of the boat in order to finish the race.

Click & click for larger image.
1606570286749.png

Vendee Globe

Sadly, Alex has had to drop out of the race. :(
Unfortunately, this isn't so surprising after the latest damage, this time to a rudder. Almost inevitable perhaps.

Alex Thomson ceases racing in the Vendée Globe​

November 28, 2020. After incurring damage to the starboard rudder of his boat, British sailor Alex Thomson has ceased racing in the Vendée Globe and is now sailing his boat towards Cape Town.

Thomson last night disconnected the starboard rudder and has since been sailing the yacht with just one rudder. After assessing the situation today, the skipper and his team have decided that the only course of action is to cease racing and sail the boat to Cape Town.

Thomson said: “Unfortunately, a repair is not possible. We therefore accept that this will be the end of the race for us. Myself, my team and our partners are of course deeply disappointed. We believe the best was yet to come in this race”.

The incident occurred on what was Thomson’s 19th day of racing in the round-the-world Vendée Globe yacht race, which began on Sunday 8th November from Les Sables-d’Olonne on France’s west coast.

Alex Thomson is currently approximately 1,800 nautical miles from Cape Town and it is expected to take the skipper around seven days to make the journey. He’ll do so without the use of his starboard rudder and so will proceed safely and cautiously. Thomson’s technical team will travel to Cape Town to meet the yacht upon arrival.

Alex Thomson ceases racing in the Vendée Globe - The Hub

(ETA 19:52 - link to official Vendee Globe new article News - Alex Thomson Heads to Cape Town After Rudder Damage, His Vendée Globe Is Over - Vendée Globe - En This includes some informative comments from Charlie Dalin regarding the route and conditions ahead).

The fleet positions from the Alex Thomson racing site:
1606590184516.png

Current rankings from the official Vendee Globe site. Note that Alex as not yet been marked as retired in the spreadsheet.
1606590521055.png

Last edited:
Vendee Globe AND Jules Verne

Two races and three boats affected by foil damage. We could be forgiven for asking "Are foils more trouble than they are worth". Maybe it's the more extreme, less compromising designs? Meanwhile Sam is doing well with an earlier Imoca which was modified for her with added foils, from what I understand. Jean Le Cam is doing well in third place without any foils. From the Vendee Globe site:

IMOCA MONOHULL YES WE CAM!

"It’s on this boat that Michel Desjoyeaux masterfully won his Vendée Globe 2008-2009. Substantially revised, the boat got a makeover - the lines of the bow have been modified to give it additional power. It is with this configuration that Jean Le Cam and Swiss navigator Bernard Stamm won the Barcelona World Race 2014.
Although the boat can no longer claim a fight with the brand-new IMOCAs, it can nonetheless join the front runners of the peloton, when in the hands of the skipper that knows it so well."

Jean LE CAM - Vendée Globe - En

Vendee Globe
Latest from Sea Wolves. Florian looks at the Vendee Globe. Much praise for Jean Le Cam. Looking at the back of the fleet, conditions looking good for Jeremie Beyou to catch up with the trailing pack. At the time of recording, Alex had one damaged rudder and one operable rudder but was still in the race pending assessment. We now know that the assessment was that the rudder could not be repaired at sea.

Jules Verne (From 12:40)
In the last few minutes of this episode Florian mentions the Jules Verne competition. "In the Trophee Jules verne Gitana was forced to halt racing as they reported a damaged foil due to hitting something in the water, but Sodebo still string in the race, though the weather so far has not been great for the JV race."

Last edited:
Vendee Globe

This photo is from the Alex Thomson Racing website. It accompanied the news yesterday that the damaged
rudder had halted his race. I'm about to pour a beer. This one is for Alex and the team, with commiserations but also thanks for for several thrilling weeks. I was going to track progress to Cape Town. With withdrawal from the race, the boat metrics are no longer being shown. However, for now, the tracking is still being shown on the race map. One positive for Alex is that hopefully he will have Christmas at home and get some consolation from the appreciation race fans have for the great contribution he and his team have made to this race, (including the excellent race tracker on the website).

1606609023086.png

Last edited:
Vendee Globe

Sadly, Alex has had to drop out of the race. :(
Unfortunately, this isn't so surprising after the latest damage, this time to a rudder. Almost inevitable perhaps.

Alex Thomson ceases racing in the Vendée Globe​

November 28, 2020. After incurring damage to the starboard rudder of his boat, British sailor Alex Thomson has ceased racing in the Vendée Globe and is now sailing his boat towards Cape Town.

Thomson last night disconnected the starboard rudder and has since been sailing the yacht with just one rudder. After assessing the situation today, the skipper and his team have decided that the only course of action is to cease racing and sail the boat to Cape Town.

Thomson said: “Unfortunately, a repair is not possible. We therefore accept that this will be the end of the race for us. Myself, my team and our partners are of course deeply disappointed. We believe the best was yet to come in this race”.

The incident occurred on what was Thomson’s 19th day of racing in the round-the-world Vendée Globe yacht race, which began on Sunday 8th November from Les Sables-d’Olonne on France’s west coast.

Alex Thomson is currently approximately 1,800 nautical miles from Cape Town and it is expected to take the skipper around seven days to make the journey. He’ll do so without the use of his starboard rudder and so will proceed safely and cautiously. Thomson’s technical team will travel to Cape Town to meet the yacht upon arrival.

Alex Thomson ceases racing in the Vendée Globe - The Hub

(ETA 19:52 - link to official Vendee Globe new article News - Alex Thomson Heads to Cape Town After Rudder Damage, His Vendée Globe Is Over - Vendée Globe - En This includes some informative comments from Charlie Dalin regarding the route and conditions ahead).

The fleet positions from the Alex Thomson racing site:
View attachment 524506

Current rankings from the official Vendee Globe site. Note that Alex as not yet been marked as retired in the spreadsheet.
View attachment 524508

I didn't expect this post to be liked but can I assume the dislikes are because of the bad news or was there an issue with my post? The usual is an informative if it's useful info but you don't particularly like the news. If there was something you found offensive let me know. :? :scratch:

@Electromagnetic
Excellent reporting on this somewhat sad day for Hugo Boss and Alex. The thumbs down were simply because a thumbs up wasn't appropriate btw. When I hadn't seen an AT 2min update I was starting to wonder if he was about to drop out of the race. It must be a terrible disappointment for him and the foil crews to see yet another failure on these systems, in fact I am switching to watch Le Cam and Sam Davies from now on to win.

Jules Verne.
I shall be getting more into this as well so thanks for the great links earlier

Steve.

I didn't expect this post to be liked but can I assume the dislikes are because of the bad news or was there an issue with my post? The usual is an informative if it's useful info but you don't particularly like the news. If there was something you found offensive let me know.
Nothing wrong at all. Thumbs down - mentioned in my last post a minute ago. It was the bad news and nothing else.

Ps: I saw a new post added just as I was finishing my reply back to you. Stellar work on the reporting and the links.
Steve.

Last edited:
@Electromagnetic
Excellent reporting on this somewhat sad day for Hugo Boss and Alex. The thumbs down were simply because a thumbs up wasn't appropriate btw. When I hadn't seen an AT 2min update I was starting to wonder if he was about to drop out of the race. It must be a terrible disappointment for him and the foil crews to see yet another failure on these systems, in fact I am switching to watch Le Cam and Sam Davies from now on to win.

Jules Verne.
I shall be getting more into this as well so thanks for the great links earlier

Steve.
Thanks. Me too re Jean and Sam. They are in older boats so at a theoretical disadvantage vs the latest foils but are very capable sailors. As I think Florian said a few episodes ago the Southern ocean is a real test for reliability. Alex's web page is a tremendous resource for viewers of the race but we also need to look at material from other sources. I'll maybe have a go in the coming week. Jean and Sam have appeared in short clips and interviews on the official website's "TV".

Re Jules Verne, I think it requires a little more effort to get the best from it and posting loads of 2 min vids makes little sense, when we just need to point in the general direction. Perhaps Florian will stick some footage together to go with his analysis in coming weeks.

Last edited:

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Dislike as in Alex has to stop racing. One of the limitations of the system.

Vendee Globe AND Jules Verne

Two races and three boats affected by foil damage. We could be forgiven for asking "Are foils more trouble than they are worth". Maybe it's the more extreme, less compromising designs? Meanwhile Sam is doing well with an earlier Imoca which was modified for her with added foils, from what I understand. Jean Le Cam is doing well in third place without any foils. From the Vendee Globe site:

IMOCA MONOHULL YES WE CAM!

"It’s on this boat that Michel Desjoyeaux masterfully won his Vendée Globe 2008-2009. Substantially revised, the boat got a makeover - the lines of the bow have been modified to give it additional power. It is with this configuration that Jean Le Cam and Swiss navigator Bernard Stamm won the Barcelona World Race 2014.
Although the boat can no longer claim a fight with the brand-new IMOCAs, it can nonetheless join the front runners of the peloton, when in the hands of the skipper that knows it so well."

Jean LE CAM - Vendée Globe - En

Vendee Globe
Latest from Sea Wolves. Florian looks at the Vendee Globe. Much praise for Jean Le Cam. Looking at the back of the fleet, conditions looking good for Jeremie Beyou to catch up with the trailing pack. At the time of recording, Alex had one damaged rudder and one operable rudder but was still in the race pending assessment. We now know that the assessment was that the rudder could not be repaired at sea.

Jules Verne (From 12:40)
In the last few minutes of this episode Florian mentions the Jules Verne competition. "In the Trophee Jules verne Gitana was forced to halt racing as they reported a damaged foil due to hitting something in the water, but Sodebo still string in the race, though the weather so far has not been great for the JV race."

The unfortunate truth is that of you hit something solid at 20-30kts you are going to do some serious damage. Ellen MacArthur hit a shipping container on the homeward leg. Debris in the ocean is unfortunately a risk of sailing. Not sure if foils increase the risk?

We retired from the Fastnet after hitting a submerged railway sleeper off Portland Bill. Split the rudder and ripped the steering gear mounting off the hull.

Thanks. Me too re Jean and Sam. They are in older boats so at a theoretical disadvantage vs the latest foils but are very capable sailors. As I think Florian said a few episodes ago the Southern ocean is a real test for reliability. Alex's web page is a tremendous resource for viewers of the race but we also need to look at material from other sources. I'll maybe have a go in the coming week. Jean and Sam have appeared in short clips and interviews on the official website's "TV".

Re Jules Verne, I think it requires a little more effort to get the best from it and posting loads of 2 min vids makes little sense, when we just need to point in the general direction. Perhaps Florian will stick some footage together to go with his analysis in coming weeks.
I’m really enjoying the Team Malizia coverage on Sea Explorer. Their weather routing videos are very informative; Boris Hermann is very engaging.

I thought this had class:

In the Jules Verne Gitana have interrupted their record attempt, and are returning to Lorient following damage after colliding with an Unknown Floating Object. They hope to effect repairs in time for another attempt this winter.

Vendee Globe - Sunday 29th November

We have a leader, a trailer and four groups between. Some great winds today. Charlie Dalin in Apivia maintains a clear lead though he expected to lose some of this advantage. Thomas Ruyant leads the first extended group in second place. Having trimmed off the damaged tip of his port foil has averted more serious damage but gives him a slight disadvantage when leaning left. Jean Le Cam in "Yes We Cam!" is just as fast despite having no foils.

Giancarlo Pedote in Prysmian Group just nudged ahead of Samantha Davies in her Initiatives-Coeur but there are only a few miles in it and that 0.5 kt speed advantage can be lost easily.

Isabelle Joshke in MACSF moves up to 13th position.

Despite being out of the race, Alex Thomson is maintaining 15th place. Hopefully the team will have a lot of data to help prepare for another attempt in 2024. There are other competitions of course but Hugo Boss was optimised for the Southern Ocean.

Stephane De Leraison is stuck in the high pressure system in 19th place and around 6kts. 20 through 24 are following him in to that system.

Pip Hare in Medallia is in 24th position. Speed wise there is hardly anything between boats in 21st through 24th and they are within 115 nm of each other. Maybe the high pressure system will help shorten that gap as the boats start to compress.

Alexia Barrier (TSE4mymlanet) in 27th and Miranda Merron (Camagne de France) in 28th are very close in speed and distance. A bit of a race between he two ladies perhaps.

Jeremie Bayou is at the back of the fleet in Charal, some 3300nm from the leader. Bearing in mind he had to return to port on the 11th November for repairs, he is doing a great job. He is faster than the nearest fifteen boats ahead of him.

Map of the fleet:
1606660423021.png

1606662978751.png

A look ahead at the route beyond the Cape of Good Hope. The land mass to the South is Antartica.
1606663321049.png

Last edited:
Vendee Globe

Hugo Boss has passed between Tristan de Cunha and Gough Island and has picked up speed in the favourable winds. I think he is breaking off from group two to follow the edge of this low pressure system behind the leading group then up to Cape Town. Getting there quickly would be good but stability and making use of his remaining rudder are more important.
1606671880337.png

1606672178766.png

Sam Davies passed Gough Island in her boat, Initiatives-Coeur, overnight. Despite reducing the sail area, the boat took some 40 kt gusts and rolled on it's side a few times! Here is her short account which is well worth a read: News - Sam Davies,

Pip Hare, in 24th place, expresses her relief at a 10 degree change in the wind alleviating the days of slowness and giving her a real boost. Pip paints some magical imagery with her words.
News - A Better Day on Medallia, Pip Hare Finding The Groove Again - Vendée Globe - En

In the previous post we mentioned the friendly rivalry of Alexia Barrier and Miranda Merron. Miranda has previously said she is on the smallest budget of the fleet. Alexia is on the oldest boat, yet as she says she is doing better than theory would suggest. She is without a deck light since the first week (did she lose it in the storm I wonder?) but has made use of moonlight. Here is her short article for the VG site:
News - Alexia Barrier 'I'm in good shape' - Vendée Globe - En

Vendee Globe

Intriguing.. One could be forgiven for thinking that Charlie is heading directly for Cape Town. It's not as if the winds are better so far north, unless the overlay is out of date compared to the position plot or vice versa. Winds are weak along the South African coast. Perhaps he is attempting to counter being blown too far South towards the ice line at 45.5 degrees latitude South overnight. There may also be strong gusts that are not evident from the mean wind speeds.

1606695356617.png

More news from Alex, it sounds like fishing debris may be implicated. He is trying to keep the boat on an even keel, literally. Words of support from Jeremie Beyou who is doing his best to catch up having rejoined the race after returning to port following damage early on. Both were expected to be at the front of this years Vendee Globe.
News - Be Thankful For Small Merci’s - Vendée Globe - En

Latest Threads