Vendee Globe Finish.

Couldn't agree more on Pip & Ari being excellent ambassadors for the VG. All told I think this Vendee was the best ever in terms of getting the word out about how tough this race is.
Being a stranger to the world of competitive yachting, I wouldn't know about that. I would say, though, that this race had all the suspense and drama of a well-written soap. And that's thanks to Electromagnetic for providing regular bite-size commentaries. I'm sure that his links were of benefit to other readers but they were of little interest to me - the raw data was meant for a specific audience and that audience wasn't me. I preferred to keep in the swim by reading the reactions of other contributors so my gratitude goes to them as well.

Something that has just occurred to me is that at no time did I care who won. Odd that.

I'm looking forward to the next VG but that's with the proviso that I can read about it on ARRSE again.

Couldn't agree more on Pip & Ari being excellent ambassadors for the VG. All told I think this Vendee was the best ever in terms of getting the word out about how tough this race is.
Thank's to your good self for flagging it up. I'd heard of the race in previous years, when it was something that just received scant coverage, particularly in the English speaking world. The sort of thing that gets a couple of minutes in the news or maybe a few paragraphs in a newspaper. The new technological format was a revelation to me and I found myself hooked.

The VG team along with key technology providers enabled far greater potential for information and content delivery in this edition. Most competitors seem to have grown to appreciate this capability and the ability to convey their experiences in a way that is hard to do so with just the written word or a few occasional statistics.

Florian Rooz deserves major credit for spreading the word in English. He saw the gap in coverage and dealt with it. He seemed to ease off a bit after the first boats crossed the line but he is a busy man. Talking of busy men, we have to mention Andi Robertson. He made a serious commitment to the VG, being away from his wife for months. He was able to translate for us as well. I may disagree with him on non-VG political matters which he shouldn't have raised on the show (naughty) but he was essentially the English speaking world's sole reporter on the VG. That was a serious undertaking. Ryan Brymar did a good job standing in for Andi during his only break from the VG. Ryan has plans for 2024 by the way.

I had missed the beginning of the race and started by following Alex Thomson. His Hugo Boss team's site was excellent and very valuable in following the race. Then we had Samantha Davies who also had to retire. We followed her remarkable catch up as she overtook the back of the pack after the boat had been repaired at Cape Town. Miranda Merron's short messages were great, concise but painted a picture.

This is when I started taking more of an interest in competitors from France and other countries. Some did versions of their video blogs in English. I don't know enough to translate but Google did. That was another game changer for me, whether French, Spanish, Italian or whatever. With that came a greater appreciation for the rest of the fleet. So many interesting stories, like Catalan fireman Didac Costa who was supported by French firemen when he needed some help to keep his race hopes alive before the start.

Sites like Marine Traffic and Vessel Finder were remarkably useful in filling in the official tracking gaps. Despite not having a satellite account, we were watching remotely when Kevin Escoffier capsized and was rescued. Interpolation of unidentified plots and known plots helped there.

There was so much more being conveyed than just the race itself and so many areas to pursue for further study. Psychology, engineering, kit, food and water, energy, emergency situations, pollution, sub surface hazards like floating containers (man made icebergs), interesting islands, unusual weather conditions. It's rich for potential in thesis topics.

Cheers.

Being a stranger to the world of competitive yachting, I wouldn't know about that. I would say, though, that this race had all the suspense and drama of a well-written soap. And that's thanks to Electromagnetic for providing regular bite-size commentaries. I'm sure that his links were of benefit to other readers but they were of little interest to me - the raw data was meant for a specific audience and that audience wasn't me. I preferred to keep in the swim by reading the reactions of other contributors so my gratitude goes to them as well.

Something that has just occurred to me is that at no time did I care who won. Odd that.

I'm looking forward to the next VG but that's with the proviso that I can read about it on ARRSE again.
Thanks for that. Much appreciated. I'm not an expert on yacht racing either. I didn't set out to do this but got a bit enthusiastic. I was concerned that my posts were starting to look like a blog at one point but a but a few posts from out of the blue suggested it was worthwhile to continue. Thanks to those posters for the feedback.

Not everyone finds it easy to or wants to follow links so I appreciate the need to make text available. I like to think that on balance we tried not to take the whatsit when copying and pasting articles or translations. How much detail to present? Not everyone uses a laptop/desktop. A tricky balance.

I have no idea where I will be in 2024 or what I will be doing. Perhaps Sebastien Destremau will have sailed home by then ;-p

If I have the time available, I'd like to have another go but there's nothing stopping anyone else having a go.

As to winners, they are all winners.

Vendee Globe 2024 - Pip Hare's new Medallia
Ocean Race Europe - New thread started

During her interview with Florian of Sea Wolves, Pip hinted at an impending announcement re a boat and 2024. Following a mutually successful partnership, Medallia Inc., are again sponsoring Pip Hare for the Vendee Globe 2024-2025 and have secured a 2016 IMOCA 60. That's almost new compared to the previous boat. Excellent news.

Pip says: “I’m delighted to be taking on what was formally Bureau Vallee. This is an amazing boat that will help me step up to the next level. As a foiling boat, it will mean I’ve got the modern technology I need to race at the front of the pack – and that’s exactly where I want to be.

“I’ve always said solo sailing makes me be the best version of myself – with Medallia’s backing, I’ve got a real opportunity to see just how good I can be in this sport.”

Official news release here: Medallia Again Sponsors Pip Hare, Female Skipper to Set Sail in 2024 Vendée Globe

British skipper Pip Hare and her sponsors Medallia have confirmed they are the new owners of the IMOCA Bureau Vallée 2 which Louis Burton sailed to third place on the Vendée Globe which has just finished and which Armel Le Cléac'h sailed to victory in 2016-17 in a record time of 74 days 3 hours. The purchase of this well proven successful IMOCA represents a massive step towards the 2024 Vendée Globe for Hare, 47, who has worked relentlessly to achieve this goal since she finished in 19th place back on 12th February.

Worth reading the full article. Pip thinks all the six women from VG 20-21 want to do it again and there may be more next VG. That's great news.
Pip Hare has a new Medallia which will take her to the 2024 Vendée Globe

The Ocean Race Europe starts Saturday, 29th May.
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...urope-saturday-29th-may.305010/#post-10790041

Last edited:
Vendee Globe 2024/5 - Preparation - Pip Hare; Ocean Race Europe relevance and results

For her first Vendee Globe, 2020-21, Pip only managed to get her boat at the last minute with only months to prepare. After the race Pip and her sponsors Medallia bought Bureau Vallee 2 from Louis Burton. It will be renamed Medallia or Medallia 2, for Pip's Vendee Globe 2024-5.

Followers of Ocean Race Europe will have noticed that Pip Hare was a member of the team sailing the fully crewed Bureau Vallee 3 from Lorient in France to Genova in Italy.

1624112560413.png

If you missed that race you can catch up with it here: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/the-ocean-race-europe-saturday-29th-may.305010/

This has now given her experience with a state of the art, foiled IMOCA 60, a boat incidentally which she will be competing against. When we saw Pip during the first leg of Ocean Race Europe she was looking serious. There was a lot to take in both in the differences in foiled sailing and in crewed rather than solo IMOCA sailing. Later in the race she reported that she was really enjoying it, despite the team being further back in the race. This signals that she has gained knowledge and confidence, adapting from an unfoiled 20 year old IMOCA to a much newer foiled IMOCA. This is all key to her preparation over the coming three years.

There will be a hand over of Bureau Vallee 2 with Louis Burton. This will be followed by familiarisation, training and participation in IMOCA events. Due to injury and fitness issues her annual three peaks is in some doubt this year, so she may focus on fitness and the sailing.

A prominent feature of the Ocean race Europe was light winds and the dominance of the VO65 class, followed closely by the unfoiled IMOCA of Ocean Team Germany. Light winds were also encountered in the Northward return up the Atlantic to Les Ables d'Olonne in Vendee Globe 2020-21.

The Ocean Race Europe - Overall leaderboards

IMOCA

1. Offshore Team Germany -- 16 points
2. 11th Hour Racing Team -- 15 points
3. LinkedOut -- 14 points
4. CORUM L' Epargne -- 7 points
5. Bureau Vallée -- 5 points

VO65
1. Mirpuri Foundation Racing Team -- 21 points
2. Sailing Poland -- 17 points
3. AkzoNobel Ocean Racing -- 17 points
4. Team Childhood I -- 12 points
5. The Austrian Ocean Race Project -- 10 points
6. Viva México -- 9 points
7. AmberSail-2 -- 9 points

Now here is a thought. Ocean Race Europe saw the two classes of VO65 (former Volvo Ocean Race) and IMOCA 60 on the same race. How might the VO65 class fare against the IMOCA on the Vendee Globe?

Vendee Globe 2024/5 - New article looks ahead to 2024 and lists the status of IMOCA boats.

Pip Hare and her sponsors, Medallia, were quick off the mark in purchasing Louis Burton's Bureau Vallee 2 in order to have as much preparation time as possible. Sam Davies and Team are looking to upgrade but nothing decided yet. It is thought that Alex Thomson would prefer a new build. As you can see from the list below, his old boat is for sale.

Vision 2024​

Almost 6 months after the first skippers crossed the Vendée Globe finish line already the tenth edition, starting November 2024, is on everyone's mind. And the enthusiasm stemming from the last edition is significant, already there are around 45 sailors who are wanting to be on the starting line in just over three years time. And so here is a round up of the state of play as we go into summer, knowing of course that the clock is always ticking.

Link to full article here: News - Vision 2024 - Vendée Globe - En

Below is the current list of IMOCA boats and teams from the article but be aware that it contains errors and that the appearance in the list is not indicative of an intention to compete in 2024-25.

For example Bureau Vallee 3 for Pip Hare is incorrect as it is listed for Louis Burton as well. The text of the article correctly states "Meantime Bureau Vallée 2 has found a happy buyer: Pip Hare."

From the VG site re Louis Burton's 2020-21 Vendee Globe:

"In 2017, thanks to his main sponsor’s support, Bureau Vallée, he took hold of ex Banque Populaire VIII, the IMOCA foiler winner of the last Vendée Globe. He renamed it Bureau Vallée 2."

It's a 2015 generation IMOCA 60. More about this boat on a French Wiki page:
Banque populaire VIII — Wikipédia

A round up of boats

2024 New Boats
  • Sea Explorer for Boris Herrmann
  • Eleventh Hour 2
  • V&B Monbana-Mayenne for Maxime Sorel
  • Charal 2 for Jérémie Beyou
  • PRB for Kevin Escoffier
Generation 2020
  • Bureau Vallée 3 for Louis Burton
  • Corum L’Epargne
  • DMG Mori
  • Apivia
  • Medallia (ex-Bureau Vallée 3) for Pip Hare
  • Fortinet-BestWestern (ex- Sea Explorer) for Romain Attanasio
  • Nexans-Art&Fenêtre for Fabrice Amedeo
  • Prysmian Group for Giancarlo Pedote
  • For sale : Arkea Paprec, Hugo Boss, Charal 1, Linkedout, Maître Coq

Generation 2014 :
  • Nandor Fa's boat

Generation 2013
  • Team Germany, ex-Acciona
  • Banque Populaire sold

Génération 2008
  • Yes We Cam, La Mie Caline, Time For Océan, Omia Water Family sold
  • Apicil for sale
  • Merci de Sébastien Destremau
  • Groupe Setin of Manu Cousin
  • MACSF of Isabelle Jochke
  • La Compagnie du Lit de Clément Giraud
  • Campagne de France of Miranda Merron
  • Plan Farr 2008 of Louis Duc
  • V&B de Maxime Sorel
  • La Fabrique of Alan Roura
  • Spirit of Canada of Antoine Cornic

Interest Vendee links there Electro.

Meanwhile no Vendee news from ATR yet.

Alex Thomson Racing will begin their 2021 competitive season with the Fastnet Race on August 8th.

(May 14th) Three months out from the start of the prestigious race, the team this week returned their IMOCA 60 yacht, HUGO BOSS, to the water, with training set to commence in the coming days.

“The boat has had a full inspection, NDT and service, and two new rudders installed” said Skipper Thomson. “Restrictions here in the UK due to the pandemic have meant that we’ve worked at a steady pace to keep our team safe. Now, with the work complete and restrictions set to ease, we’re looking forward to getting back out there to train again”.

The 695 nautical mile Fastnet Race will begin on Sunday 8th August from Cowes, UK with a record 450+ boats – across multiple classes – set to compete. The fleet will sail via the Fastnet Rock off south west Ireland and will finish, for the first time in the race’s 96-year history, in Cherbourg, France.

Sailing onboard HUGO BOSS, Thomson – joined for the double-handed race by a co-skipper yet to be decided by his team – will aim to better his previous second place finish in the race:

“This will be my 11th Fastnet, I believe, so we’ve got a lot of experience in this race. I’m really looking forward to sailing the new course and finishing in Cherbourg. I think it adds a new tactical dimension to the race”.

Alex Thomson Racing.