Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vendee Globe Finish.

Alexia Barrier said she wanted to limit the number of tacks to limit the pain she is in. This is her second today. She has just over 9 kts in 2 m waves and has around 220 nm to go. She could arrive late Saturday night or early Sunday morning.
Once she crosses the virtual finish line, will she hand over the boat for someone else to park while she heads for hospital or will she consider it a matter of honour to park it herself?

Once she crosses the virtual finish line, will she hand over the boat for someone else to park while she heads for hospital or will she consider it a matter of honour to park it herself?
Teams normally take over and deal with the sails and the passage up the channel. She is unlikely to be jumping around as she possibly would want to and might struggle with two flares rather than one. Alexia wants to hold the bottle of champagne if she can. Andi Robertson said they could help with that, so it may be a joint effort, at least part of the time. Once the quayside questions are over, I expect she will get assistance ashore. The press conference can wait unless Alexia decides to get it out of the way on Sunday afternoon.

Vendee Globe - Latest ETAs

The VG site seems to be struggling this morning. It's not usually sluggish, even on a Saturday.
1614423752403.png

No significant change in winds expected for the last 24 hours and 140 nm of Alexia's voyage. She has 9.6 kts in 14+ kts of wind and 4 m waves. Ari has a more direct route to Biscay now. I wonder if he should be going further North before the high pressure comes in again from the South? He has 11 kts in 14+ kt winds with 3 m waves and 1000 nm to go.
1614423876619.png

I would have put two lines from the rankings here but the page wasn't loading up this morning.

Vendee Globe - Alexia Barrier updates, protocol, medical etc

There are three articles from VG. From these we now have some clarification of what to expect. It is usual that after crossing the line the team takes over and officials check the engine and safety equipment seals. At some point, I presume on the boat, Alexia will have breakfast of pizza and champagne. This is a great idea in case lifting the champagne at the reception is too much.

I don't expect her to hold two flares but lets wait and see. On berthing up at the quayside, she has to disembark. Alexia was offered a wheelchair but says she can walk. She says she might use a stick. The press conference they refer to is the one that results in the "first words" articles rather than the full press conference, which I expect will be pending X-Ray and treatment. We have all week as Ari isn't due to arrive until Saturday or Sunday. After this press huddle she will go directly for assessment.

The link to source is in the titles this time.

1. Alexia Barrier, Champagne and Pizza for Breakfast on Arrival

1614450080039.png

2. Doctor, Doctor (Is someone a UFO fan?)

1614450586218.png

1614450690152.png

1614450743969.png

3. Alexia Barrier On Final Approach, Ari Huusela At The Azores

1614450974646.png

1614451026991.png

1614451117945.png

1614451216650.png

Alexia displays her tattoo or one of them. Perhaps this is to show where the injury is. My display isn't that great. Is that bruising on the lower back, right hand side?

1614449414708.png

From what Ari was saying it sounds like he is going to make use of the light conditions to replay his adventure in his mind and maybe release emotions so that he can let go of them and enjoy the last miles.
1614452029093.png

1614452298404.png

Hopefully we will pick this up again in the morning.

Vendee Globe - Here comes Alexia for a breakfast finish.

Alexia has slowed from 11 to 8 kts, with 40 nm to go which suggests that she could cross the finish line around 0730 UTC / GMT. Winds are 18 kts ENE and waves are 3 m.

1614479246624.png

Lets zoom in without the wind overlay.
1614480191337.png

Now lets have a look at the traffic. Alexia's yacht does not show up here as it's out of terrestrial range. Some of the plots are old but the majority are fishing vessels using satellite AIS.
1614480559428.png

Last edited:

Latest Threads