Vendee Globe Finish.

Vendee Globe - Updated rankings of first eight past the finish line

1611866838816.png

There are no more pending time corrections. As things stand, all the following finishes will be clocked in the normal way. Full 2100 rankings list:
1611868252124.png

Last edited:
Vendee Globe - Dutreux arrives. Le Cam's boat was delaminating. He had fears of it sinking.

Benjamin finished this morning in the third non-foiling boat to complete this Vendee Globe race.
Like Yannick Bestaven, Jean Le Cam would not say he enjoyed the race as he felt the stress of it 24/7.
Behind the scenes, away from the camera, after Kevin Escoffier disembarked, Jean found that part of the bow was delaminating. Having lost one yacht in the Vendee, he had fears of sinking. The article below is amazing.
The hardships at sea help him appreciate the good things. Jean arrived yesterday evening but had to wait for the tide to rise before entering the harbour. There is a video of his arrival and press conference below.

Benjamin Dutreux, 9th in the Vendée Globe​

1611920065829.png

Maxime Sorel is currently in tenth place. Unexpectedly Armel Tripon remains very slow. I wonder what issue he has? His performance was impressive from so far back to nearly reach the top ten and was the only threat to Maxime in the past week. his account of the race will be interesting. Maxime has sailed brilliantly and should arrive on Saturday morning, the fourth non-foiler.

The Return of King Jean​

1611920602445.png

1611920650923.png

1611920692995.png

1611921263762.png

1611921502850.png

Source: News - The Return of King Jean - Vendée Globe - En

Ascent of the channel and Press Conference, Jean Le Cam Vendée Globe 2020-2021

Audio starts at +6m 15s for those intrigued by background sounds, including a sneeze and people eating biscuits and drinking tea or coffee :mrgreen:

Video of Jean's arrival starts at +15m 0s with Andi Robertson narrating. Ends +1h 05m 30s
Press conference starts at + 1h 21m 48s. Ends +2h 15m

Last edited:
Remarkable interview with Le Cam explaining how difficult the Vendee is and after all that he concedes to finishing in the 'jerk' position 4th.

Remarkable interview with Le Cam explaining how difficult the Vendee is and after all that he concedes to finishing in the 'jerk' position 4th.
Another admirable quality is that he strives to inspire youngsters and those without the massive capital outlay required for more modern boats. As he said in a previous interview, the more complexity and expense can make the sport less accessible for them.

Another admirable quality is that he strives to inspire youngsters and those without the massive capital outlay required for more modern boats. As he said in a previous interview, the more complexity and expense can make the sport less accessible for them.
I hope it does stay that way and remains accessible to all racers. The trickle down of new boats getting bought by smaller teams will end at some point due to expensive upkeep and high maintenance costs but who will want to race in a 25yr old boat or build a new dagger board vessel.

I hope it does stay that way and remains accessible to all racers. The trickle down of new boats getting bought by smaller teams will end at some point due to expensive upkeep and high maintenance costs but who will want to race in a 25yr old boat or build a new dagger board vessel.
Right now there are questions being asked about foils. Are the theoretical gains worth the enormous added expense and the impacts on reliability? What amount of that theoretical gain is lost through discomfort of the skipper and fear of the boat breaking up? We had several examples of holding back for those reasons. Weather and sea state in this race gave fewer opportunities for foiling.

Pip Hare has realised some limitations in her 21 year old boat and saw the edge that foiled boats have. Yet here we have three, almost certainly four dagger board boats in the top ten, one of which just missed third place by less than four hours! No doubt this is early days for foils and they can be improved. I wonder how far up the rankings Pip would be if she had had no reliability issues to hold her back?

Auto pilot is one thing but if the future designs need computer control, surely that's a point for class division eg IMOCA D (dagger board) IMOCA F (Foil fixed or manually adjusted) IMOCA FC (Computerised foils). They can still compete in the same race as otherwise race organisation costs go up. Besides, having several types is interesting.

Vendee Globe - Sorel enters 200 nm radius of finish line. Tripon delayed by impassable storms.

Maxime Sorel is on schedule to be the tenth finisher and skipper of the fourth conventional dagger boat to finish on Saturday morning.

Armel Tripon says he has been forced to slow down to let two massive storms pass. This explains why he has slowed to 7 kts since Thursday. He has lost his chance to get in to the top ten but has done very well to get so far up the pack from so far behind but his decision is the right one. This could hold him back until Monday, giving Clarisse Cremer a chance to catch up with him. Here he is off the coast of Portugal. Clarisse is in the blue boat, positioned to potentially make use of the winds on the edge of the storm.

1611941967726.png

The following is translated from his website:

1611939742166.png

1611939786425.png

1611940018700.png

1611940108435.png

1611940166358.png

Source: Armel Tripon doit ralentir pour laisser passer deux tempêtes impraticables dans le golfe de Gascogne ! | Armel Tripon

Last edited:
Vendee Globe - Maxime Sorel update, overview map, rankings, Vendee Live & Flash, Seawolves

Here we can see two impressive storm systems in the Atlantic. Armel Tripon's boat is highlighted, West of Portugal. He is in good spirits and says part of him is impatient to finish the race as it is so close but he is fine with being patient and letting it pass. A few days ago he said the race was too short for him, so he must have been enjoying it! Andi said the group just North of the Equator should take around ten days to arrive at Les Sables d'Olonne. Presumably Alexia and Ari could be there in three or four weeks. In Vendee Live Pip says she has been under the weather for a few days due to effects of the sting from the Portuguese Man of war but better now, other than she is very tired from lack of sleep.
1611942858847.png

Max Sorel beating the storm​

1611942281942.png

1611942378294.png

Rankings
1611941858211.png

Vendee Live - "Today we welcome Dee Caffari, first woman to sail solo, non-stop around the world and Giancarlo Pedote." Also includes Pip Hare and highlights from Giancarlo's race. Saturday's VL guest is Boris Herrmann. The last Vendee Live is on Sunday.

Vendee Flash includes clip of Benjamin Dutreux celebrating his arrival and video interview in English with Armel Tripon as he waits out for the storm to pass.

Sea Wolves - Vendee Globe 2020 report - The TOP 5 Finish (mug contest winners) Pip in the trades!

Last edited:
Vendee Globe - Maxime Sorel 42 nm from Les Sables d'Olonne

Maxime will be tenth to cross the line and fourth non-foiler. He was going full speed to escape the storm and will be tired. Good that he managed to beat it. Now he has to wait for the tide so I don't know if he is concerned about the time over the line.
1611968470595.png

Here is another article about the press conference with Jean Le Cam, some of what he had to say and also some of what Benjamin Dutreux had to say in return.
News - 3AM. Eternal. - Vendée Globe - En

Last edited:

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Hopefully someone of intelligence will review this thread and come to an intellectually robust conclusion as to what your sport needs to do to be accessible, let alone interesting. There's clearly skill and judgement involved but there also seems to be a deep conspiracy to conceal it.

Hopefully someone of intelligence will review this thread and come to an intellectually robust conclusion as to what your sport needs to do to be accessible, let alone interesting. There's clearly skill and judgement involved but there also seems to be a deep conspiracy to conceal it.
It's thanks to @Spanks that the thread even exists. What has become clear is that the race has gained far more followers this year due to technology, the organisation, teams and some particularly gifted communicators such as Pip Hare and Boris Herrmann but also Jean Le Cam. As far as I know the main window to the race has been via the Internet, especially in the UK. Germany and Japan are likely to feature more in coming years. American involvement has been through sponsorship eg Medallia / Pip Hare. I'm a fan of the race now. The web is more flexible and interactive than TV to be honest which I rarely watch now.

ETA Edited to remove incorrect reference - confusion between races.

Last edited:

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
It's thanks to @Spanks that the thread even exists. What has become clear is that the race has gained far more followers this year due to technology, the organisation, teams and some particularly gifted communicators such as Pip Hare and Boris Herrmann but also Jean Le Cam. As far as I know the main window to the race has been via the Internet, especially in the UK where the idea for the race originated for goodness sake. Germany and Japan are likely to feature more in coming years. American involvement has been through sponsorship eg Medallia / Pip Hare. I'm a fan of the race now. The web is more flexible and interactive than TV to be honest which I rarely watch now.
I was referring to the event site itself.

PRADA Cup
PRADA CUP:

UK . v ITALY to see who races against NZ for the Americas Cup.
I was about to check last night and found the latest score here on the Americas Cup thread. Seawolves will cover it later. Info and links for convenience:

1612009936119.png

Source and previous results leading up to this stage: 36th America's Cup presented by PRADA

Official news: LUNA ROSSA PRADA PIRELLI WIN THE PRADA CUP SEMI-FINAL
All the previous news articles: 36th America's Cup presented by PRADA

Prada Cup final 13th to 22nd February. The schedule is listed in a format that isn't easy to list without doing it manually. Here are the first three for info:
1612010354974.png

Day One Highlights:

Day Two Roundup:

Full race coverage is also available on YouTube and should appear in the suggestions on the right hand column or go to the official page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo15ZYO_XDRU9LI30OPtxAg

PRADA Cup and Americas Cup chat here: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/americas-cup.303454/

PRADA Cup

I was about to check last night and found the latest score here on the Americas Cup thread. Seawolves will cover it later. Info and links for convenience:

View attachment 544501
Source and previous results leading up to this stage: 36th America's Cup presented by PRADA

Official news: LUNA ROSSA PRADA PIRELLI WIN THE PRADA CUP SEMI-FINAL
All the previous news articles: 36th America's Cup presented by PRADA

Prada Cup final 13th to 22nd February. The schedule is listed in a format that isn't easy to list without doing it manually. Here are the first three for info:
View attachment 544505

Day One Highlights:

Day Two Roundup:

Full race coverage is also available on YouTube and should appear in the suggestions on the right hand column or go to the official page: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo15ZYO_XDRU9LI30OPtxAg

PRADA Cup and Americas Cup chat here: https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/americas-cup.303454/
I'm thinking we should keep this thread for Vendee updates only and join in the AC thread to get the good news or post about team UK there. Thoughts?

Latest Threads