Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vendee Globe Finish.

Vendee Globe - Vendee Live special - The Finishes - starts 18:30 GMT 19:00?

ETA Time update. Andi did suggest some flexibility in when the Live show was going to start. Although it was going to be 18:30 most recently, the countdown to the show has started suggesting a 7pm start.

Last edited:
Alex Thomson video update from Monday - Includes his preview of the race finish
Sorry I didn't notice this sooner but it has been a while since the previous update. Alex and colleagues have crossed the Equator and continue to capture data for analysis back at HQ.

Vendee Globe - Dalin has turned to point Les Sables d'Olonne, with 22 nm left to the finish.

1611771824585.png

While we are waiting for the Vendee show at 19:00, linked above, here are two short videos from France 24:

Last edited:
Vendee Globe - Vedee Flash and a short episode of Sea Wolves

Flash includes video from Louis Burton

This mini episode of Sea Wolves is from 4 hours ago and only 7.5 mins long.

Last edited:
I'm getting peed off, Live VD Starting Now....nope 30 mins..nope 30 mins.. nope 30 mins ..........

My live footy is on as well.

Haha.... posted after you posted :)

I'm getting peed off, Live VD Starting Now....nope 30 mins..nope 30 mins.. nope 30 mins ..........

My live footy is on as well.

Haha.... posted after you posted :)
It's definitely live now. Watching APIVIA arriving now, close up. His boat has been boarded by his team members. His time was 80 days 6 hours and 15 minutes.

If I've read the table correctly, the lead couple of boats will be subject to a falling tide. Will this make much of a difference?
Update from Dee on the live coverage of Dalin's arrival. The harbour itself is tidal so the boat will have to wait to get in to it but he is across the line. ETA Dalin has signed off that he has not broken any safety equipment seals. An official will check the engine seals before it is started and the final sail dropped.

Last edited:
Louis Burton has made his gybe - it will be a few hours before he arrives.

ETA Charlie is now off the boat and it is now crewed by team members. If I understood correctly, the plan is that in the early ours of Thursday morning all fire leading boats will take part in a procession to the harbour.

1611778557359.png

Last edited:
STOP PRESS - BORIS HERRMANN HAS COLLIDED WITH A FISHING BOAT!
He is unharmed but there is damage to his starboard foil. His speed is very much slower as a result.

His third place is at risk but his goal now is completion. To come so far after looking after his boat to suffer this damage 12 hours from the finish highlights the often unpredictable nature of this race. There are no guarantees.

Boris' colleague who is part of the commentary team, working remotely of course, was saying that foils can mean fewer and smaller sails, along with less sail changing and shorter sail change times with less energy required than the 45 minutes required for a non foiler.

Charlie Dalin is yawning a lot as he must be knackered. Lots of boats with lights celebrating his arrival.

Last edited:
STOP PRESS - BORIS HERRMANN HAS COLLIDED WITH A FISHING BOAT!
He is unharmed but there is damage to his starboard foil. His speed is very much slower as a result.

His third place is at risk but his goal now is completion. To come so far after looking after his boat to suffer this damage 12 hours from the finish highlights the often unpredictable nature of this race. There are no guarantees.

Boris' colleague who is part of the commentary team, working remotely of course, was saying that foils can mean fewer and smaller sails, along with less sail changing and shorter sail change times with less energy required than the 45 minutes required for a non foiler.

Charlie Dalin is yawning a lot as he must be knackered. Lots of boats with lights celebrating his arrival.
Biscay is plagued with fleets of badly lit fishing vessels. They often have huge light arrays that obliterate their navigation lights, making it very difficult to interpret their intentions.

The skippers can’t rely on AIS or radar to route through or around Biscay fishing fleets. They will all need their whits about them. It’s quite scary on a displacement boat at 7kts; must be sphincter clenching on foils!

Interesting thought; going into the Bay like Dalin did exposes you to more fishing boat risk.

Biscay is plagued with fleets of badly lit fishing vessels. They often have huge light arrays that obliterate their navigation lights, making it very difficult to interpret their intentions.

The skippers can’t rely on AIS or radar to route through or around Biscay fishing fleets. They will all need their whits about them. It’s quite scary on a displacement boat at 7kts; must be sphincter clenching on foils!

Interesting thought; going into the Bay like Dalin did exposes you to more fishing boat risk.
Apparently the Bay is Dalins home field so to speak but I agree that dodging fishing vessels is risky at the best of times.

We could do with Marcus Hutchinson doing some interpretation. He was excellent on VG Live the other day. Dalin enjoying line honours. He originally thought his race was over half way around when APIVIA suffered foil damage. He has done brilliantly despite the disadvantage. Bouncy legs now he's ashore :lol: VG are taking a break but say to stay with them for coverage. Looking at the tracker, Louis Burton should be crossing the finish line in 90 minutes or so, as a very rough estimate.

APIVIA is off along the Bay. Who left the keys in it?
1611785606022.png

The crew will be checking it out and getting it out of he way of th finish line before the early morning parade in to the harbour.

We could do with Marcus Hutchinson doing some interpretation. He was excellent on VG Live the other day. Dalin enjoying line honours. He originally thought his race was over half way around when APIVIA suffered foil damage. He has done brilliantly despite the disadvantage. Bouncy legs now he's ashore :lol: VG are taking a break but say to stay with them for coverage. Looking at the tracker, Louis Burton should be crossing the finish line in 90 minutes or so, as a very rough estimate.
I wonder how long it will be before he can sit down at a table and not feel like it’s surfing!

Takes me a week to lose the sensation after just a few days at sea. Sometimes even a short offshore induces the sensation if we’ve spent a lot of the time surfing off at 20+kts under a kite.

These guys must take weeks to recover!

France 24 Coverage.

It's a little out of date as Boris Hermann collided with a fishing boat and is limping onward at 7 kts or so. It looks like Boris will unfortunately miss out on a podium position but his goal now is to complete the voyage.
I wonder how long it will be before he can sit down at a table and not feel like it’s surfing!

Takes me a week to lose the sensation after just a few days at sea. Sometimes even a short offshore induces the sensation if we’ve spent a lot of the time surfing off at 20+kts under a kite.

These guys must take weeks to recover!
The first hours ashore were novel. A bit like wearing Dr Marten's Air Wear soles for the first time but still compensating for the motion at sea. I'm sure the sensation will go in the smae amount of time as a week at sea. The lingering sensation will surely be the one of exhaustion.

The first hours ashore were novel. A bit like wearing Dr Marten's Air Wear soles for the first time but still compensating for the motion at sea. I'm sure the sensation will go in the smae amount of time as a week at sea. The lingering sensation will surely be the one of exhaustion.
The short term need to compensate for the sea’s motion goes quite quickly.

The surfing sensation is a weird one. It doesn’t happen continuously; a couple of weeks after a long race and you’re sit quietly at your desk. It starts surfing. Get up and it goes.

Latest Threads