Vendee Globe Finish.

General info:

The Vendee Globe is a once every four year event that starts in France, on Nov 8th 33 sailors left Le Sables O'lonne in 60' yachts to sail single handed in an attempt to race around the world non-stop without the support of anything beyond radio technical help. If the boat breaks the skippers either fix it or leave it and many do leave it. It is known as the hardest and toughest boat race in the World for good reason, completing the race is considered to be as great an achievement as being the 1st to cross the line.

The race is open to monohull yachts conforming to the Open 60 class criteria. The Open classes are unrestricted in certain aspects, but a box rule governs parameters such as overall length, draught, appendages and stability, as well as numerous other safety features. The race generally covers approximately 24,000 nautical miles (44,000 km) and runs from November to February, timed to place the competitors in the Southern Ocean during the austral summer. Two types of boat have been competing since 2016, Foilers and Non-Foilers, at certain speeds the bow of a foiler glides above the water enabling greater speed - 30+nph is not uncommon.

The competitors may stop at anchor, but may not draw alongside a quay or another vessel; they may receive no outside assistance, including customised weather or routing information. The only exception is that a competitor who has an early problem may return to the start for repairs and then restart the race, as long the restart is within 10 days of the official start.

The race presents significant challenges; most notably the severe wind and wave conditions in the Southern Ocean, the long unassisted duration of the race, and the fact that the course takes competitors far from the reach of any normal emergency response. A significant proportion of the entrants usually retire, and in the 1996–97 race Canadian Gerry Roufs was lost at sea. To mitigate the risks, competitors are required to undergo medical and survival courses. They must also be able to demonstrate prior racing experience; either a completed single-handed trans-oceanic race or the completion of a previous Vendée Globe.

UK Forces interest:
Royal Marine Pete Goss received a hero's welcome back and the Legion d'Honneur for saving fellow (French) sailor Raphaël Dinelli in the 1996 Vendée Globe solo around the world yacht race. During a severe storm in the Southern Ocean, he turned his boat around and spent two days sailing into hurricane-force winds, finally finding Dinelli in a life-raft that had been dropped by an Australian Air Force plane shortly before the yacht had sunk. Dinelli is said to have come aboard clutching a bottle of champagne. I highly recommend reading his book Close to the Wind.

The 2020 Race:
1605620699461.png

As of today (UK) Alex Thompson on Hugo Boss is approximately 90nm ahead of 2nd place Linked in.
Overnight Alex was more than 120nm ahead but since then he has sailed into a low wind system (doldrums) allowing others still in high winds to catch up.
Exact speed and position is difficult because each skipper provides updates at different times and the race is only official updated 4(?) times a day.
1605620913133.png

Apologies for the long post but I thought some of you guys might be interested in Alex's attempt to win the race and maybe some of you didn't even know the race existed, I didn't until I read Pete Goss's book back in 2015 and found the race fascinating. I will provide a few smaller updates on this thread as the race continues but I am providing references to race links here.

Vendee Globe History - Wiki.

Tracking Map (there is a free android app in Google PS)

Race News

You Tube obviously has a ton of videos:

Alex Thompson Racing

and Sea Wolves does a really nice update and a daily race analysis.

Thanks chaps.

QRK2

LE
UK Forces interest:
Royal Marine Pete Goss received a hero's welcome back and the Legion d'Honneur for saving fellow (French) sailor Raphaël Dinelli in the 1996 Vendée Globe solo around the world yacht race. During a severe storm in the Southern Ocean, he turned his boat around and spent two days sailing into hurricane-force winds, finally finding Dinelli in a life-raft that had been dropped by an Australian Air Force plane shortly before the yacht had sunk. Dinelli is said to have come aboard clutching a bottle of champagne. I highly recommend reading his book Close to the Wind.

Under UK Forces I'd add that an Ex-RFA officer was killed whilst taking part in the 1992 edition of the race.

Had a cabby on Kingfisher, Ellen McArthers boat just before the 2000 race.
Boats are real mean racing machines, custom built to the skipper. Loads of electronics solar powered, no wasted weight.
Still one hell of a challenge, good luck and safe passage to all entrants

CFB

PS It went like s*** off a shovel.

It’s another chance to watch blobs moving across a computer screen, getting me in the mood for the Spine Race in Jan.

Been fascinated by single handed ocean sailing since the days of Eric Tabarly who dominated the sport in the 60’s and 70’s winning single handed races across the Atlantic and Pacific and others , died after being knocked overboard when transiting the Irish Sea

As of 14:00 EST Tuesday 17th. Thompson has pushed his lead to almost 90 miles.
Hugo Boss
Alex Thompson
33.52 nmh • + 0 nm

LinkedOut
Thomas RUYANT
31.39 nmh • + 87.27 nm behind.

One hell of a stylish way to self-isolate!

As of 14:00 EST Tuesday 17th. Thompson has pushed his lead to almost 90 miles.
Hugo Boss
Alex Thompson
33.52 nmh • + 0 nm

LinkedOut
Thomas RUYANT
31.39 nmh • + 87.27 nm behind.
I heard him being interviewed as he was entering the Doldrums. Alex pointed out that his apparent lead could not be taken for granted and could be lost in the Doldrums and he could even be passed if conditions were against him viz lack of wind or contrary fits of wind. Apologies if I got any of that wrong. It was some hours ago.

I heard him being interviewed as he was entering the Doldrums. Alex pointed out that his apparent lead could not be taken for granted and could be lost in the Doldrums and he could even be passed if conditions were against him viz lack of wind or contrary fits of wind. Apologies if I got any of that wrong. It was some hours ago.
It's always possible that being so far ahead by the time the following boats enter the same area the wind may have shifted or the others may take a slightly different route giving them better conditions allowing them to catch up.
OR... Alex enters a high wind zone and sprints away from the pack :)

This guy Seawolves TV has been doing fantastic YT vids with race analysis and what if strategy, in parts of each video he explains how different systems work for the non sailor in layman's terms.

I don’t sail but I have always wanted to own a yacht that I can sail around the world in.

I wonder how many ‘yacht delivery drivers’ there are? It would be a start to sail someone else’s yacht first across some water.

I don’t sail but I have always wanted to own a yacht that I can sail around the world in.

I wonder how many ‘yacht delivery drivers’ there are? It would be a start to sail someone else’s yacht first across some water.
Cruisers Forum has a thread for... Crew Positions... it might be a starting point for next season to gain experience. As for deliveries there is definitely a smallish contingent of professional drivers out there who look for other crew members, experience is key though.

This guy Seawolves TV has been doing fantastic YT vids with race analysis and what if strategy, in parts of each video he explains how different systems work for the non sailor in layman's terms.
I wonder if that bloke follows Dilbert creator Scott Adam's video blogs with his "simultaneous sip" of coffee at the start of the video. Very interesting, thanks. The lucky alone, unlucky together comment made perfect sense, so further explanation seemed superfluous but it's probably good that he does not assume the viewer got it the first time.

I think the further explanations are based on the comments from his earlier vids. The official vendee site offers nothing beyond here they are today, but even though I have sailed quite a bit I never raced one so I like the race strategy and the simple explanations.

P.s The dude thanked me today for recommending his vlogs on a UK forum which I thought was cool.

Latest Update:

• image-c-45-45.jpg

Alex THOMSON
  • HUGO BOSS
  • 14.97 kts27.72 km/h
  • 12.32 kts
  • 196°
  • 1° 49'38'' S31° 18'25'' O
  • 21183.7 nm39232.21 km

• image-c-45-45.jpg

Thomas RUYANT
  • LinkedOut

• 16.88 kts31.26 km/h
  • 14.61 kts
  • 194°
  • 0° 22'18'' S30° 9'5'' O
  • 21244.7 nm39345.18 km
  • 60.6nm

• image-c-45-45.jpg

Charlie DALIN APIVIA
  • 18.58 kts34.41 km/h
  • 15.59 kts
  • 198°
  • 0° 10'1'' N29° 42'28'' O
  • 21268 nm39388.34 km

12.5%
  • 84.28 nm156.09 km

• image-c-45-45.jpg

Jean LE CAM
  • Yes We Cam!
  • 15.37 kts28.47 km/h
  • 13.05 kts
  • 197°
  • 0° 46'34'' N29° 19'28'' O
  • 21296.9 nm39441.86 km

12.3%
  • 113.23 nm209.7 km

We have a Brit lass in the race, Pip Hare. In 22nd place at the moment.

bentobox

Old-Salt
Thanks Spank It, do you have any information about the boats themselves? I would be interested to see how a big boat can be set up for one person to operate all the systems.

Not many. Mrs R’s mate does it, and she has been crew a couple of times. These boats are very expensive, and normally moved around by bigger ships. The ones that submerge a bit to collect the tiddlers and move them to the Med. The skipper then might move them a short distance to the preferred harbour.
Sounds fun? You won’t be allowed to walk on the carpets. You test all the equipment, check it all works and then walk off. Sea trials are not that glamorous.

Thanks Spank It, do you have any information about the boats themselves? I would be interested to see how a big boat can be set up for one person to operate all the systems.
I would suggest YT vendee globe 2020 or Alex Thompson updates or Pip Hare for the race prep videos. There are a few prep videos including the 180deg tip over and a great Q&A with Alex about his mindset for this race, spoiler -
he wants to win :)

BTW fellas this is a thread for everybody. I am 5 hours behind you chaps so feel free to add race updates.

VG Official site
Last Ranking on 18 Nov 2020 - 21h (UTC)= GMT I believe.

Next ranking: 04h (UTC) Rankings published at 04h, 08h, 11h, 14h, 17h, 21h (UTC)

Last edited: