Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vendee Globe FINISH & Americas Cup Racing.

17:00 Update (Nothing new from Team H.B. though)

To my surprise, Alex has not been overtaken yet but it's very, very close!

Note that others have slowed down and Alex has picked up just a bit. Maitre Coq IV is gaining on him but nobody in immediate range is faster. Only the first three are getting anything like a reasonable speed but for how long?

1606151098291.png

wheel

LE
17:00 Update (Nothing new from Team H.B. though)

To my surprise, Alex has not been overtaken yet but it's very, very close!

Note that others have slowed down and Alex has picked up just a bit. Maitre Coq IV is gaining on him but nobody in immediate range is faster. Only the first three are getting anything like a reasonable speed but for how long?

View attachment 523033
Perhaps Alex spot of bad luck has had a bit of fortune due to poor winds. The F1 equivalent of pit stop under safety car. I know nothing about sailing but I am now hooked to this thread. Thanks to all for your most informative posts.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Perhaps Alex spot of bad luck has had a bit of fortune due to poor winds. The F1 equivalent of pit stop under safety car. I know nothing about sailing but I am now hooked to this thread. Thanks to all for your most informative posts.
Totally agree. Went sailing one afternoon on the Mohne See. (The famous dam resovoir.) No wind and I was bored rigid. This is the sum knowledge of my interest until now...

Totally agree. Went sailing one afternoon on the Mohne See. (The famous dam resovoir.) No wind and I was bored rigid. This is the sum knowledge of my interest until now...
I know nothing really about sailing other than what little I've picked up. I've been out in a yacht once as a kid. As with the spitfire, it's interesting to try and figure stuff out, except at sea there are no handy airports or airstrips. I don't know what supplies, spares and tools they carry but assume it's enough for three months and whatever they might need going by a set of scenarios they must have brainstormed in advance. A certain amount is kept quiet for tactical reasons I suppose.

Wind and sea state overlays make a certain amount of sense, especially when the likes of Sea Wolves explains aspects of it. For example the green areas seem to be more focused winds, where as the blue areas are more calm to unreliable winds.That's my understanding anyway. Happy to be corrected.

I know nothing really about sailing other than what little I've picked up. I've been out in a yacht once as a kid. As with the spitfire, it's interesting to try and figure stuff out, except at sea there are no handy airports or airstrips. I don't know what supplies, spares and tools they carry but assume it's enough for three months and whatever they might need going by a set of scenarios they must have brainstormed in advance. A certain amount is kept quiet for tactical reasons I suppose.

Wind and sea state overlays make a certain amount of sense, especially when the likes of Sea Wolves explains aspects of it. For example the green areas seem to be more focused winds, where as the blue areas are more calm to unreliable winds.That's my understanding anyway. Happy to be corrected.
Mrs R has raced the Atlantic. Sail training with a crew.
Sail racing is the most insane thing there is. Thomson is on his own with some tech support. For the rest, he is is something like in a washing machine. He sleeps, eats, and passes whats left of his insides in this.
He will take advice from his team, sleep for seconds at a time, and try and win what is the hardest race we still have on the planet.

I have found two videos. Both are available on the site and at YouTube. The first shows the damage in detail. The second video shows Alex cutting materials for the repairs.

It just so happened that Sea Wolves video came on so here is the link to that as well.

Next positional updates are due 21:00 and should be interesting.

This looks promising! Hugo Boss speed! I wouldn't rely on this figure for accuracy but I do feel that the sails are up and Alex is back in the competition. :thumright:

View attachment 523087
Reading Alex's statement you posted this morning it appeared to be a broken cross beam that required gluing & screwing however it's actually the centre beam that cracked in quite a few places. Although he is moving slowly he figures another day or so to fix it properly.

Alex has 2 updates explaining what's going on.

and part 2

No fly's on electromagnetic is there, banging the vids in on top with me doing an edit. ;)

Last edited:
Reading Alex's statement you posted this morning it appeared to be a broken cross beam that required gluing & screwing however it's actually the centre beam that cracked in quite a few places. Although he is moving slowly he figures another day or so to fix it properly.

Alex has 2 updates explaining what's going on.

and part 2

No fly's on electromagnetic is there, banging the vids in on top with an edit. ;)
Yes I posted those minutes before you replied :lol: I didn't find a timestamp but it was much earlier in the day. He has been working his nuts off. The team has had replies on You Tube in total awe at the repair at sea.

21:00 update shows Hugo Boss has slowed down to 3.4 kts! Trouble again? No, I don't think it's a technical issue this time but lack of wind. Look at the rest of the pack! Almost everyone except the two leaders has slowed right down as wind is 5 to 7 kts. The leaders have slightly more than 10 kt winds.

1606165782697.png

Zoomed out we can see there are slim pickings out there. Race leaders APIVIA and LinkedOut may just manage to get through to the green patch in the centre but their currently favourable winds could dissipate before they get there. It's almost calm in those blue system centres.
1606166175888.png

ETA picture of latest spreadsheet. 21:00 UTC / 22:00 (FR)
1606168283077.png

Last edited:
*** Alex Thomson Update***

Key paragraph highlighted in bold.
Key points: Hull stable. One sail up. Repairs ongoing for another night and a half. Light winds ahead so good conditions for repairs. At least he is moving now.

Team statement follows:

Just 48 hours after he unearthed structural damage to his HUGO BOSS boat – on day 13 of the Vendée Globe round-the-world yacht race – Alex Thomson has confirmed that he is sailing once again.

Thomson discovered damage to the bow area of his IMOCA yacht on Saturday evening UTC and, after alerting his team on shore, was forced to bring the boat to a stop while he carried out a complex repair at sea to reinforce the structure inside the boat.

With the help of his team, led by Design Manager Pete Hobson – together with naval architects, VPLP and structural engineers, Gurit – the 46-year-old skipper was able to stabilise HUGO BOSS, undertake the repairs, and has now begun sailing once again.

“I’ve got a sail up again!” Thomson said. “I’m sailing in the right direction and I’m back in the race. I’m super happy about that. It’s been a tough couple of days, an awful lot of work – cutting, grinding, sanding, gluing and there’s still a lot more to go. It’s certainly not over yet but the structure in the bow is now stable, it’s not moving any more and so I can sail in these moderate conditions, in the right direction. Happy days”.

Having led the fleet for much of the race prior to discovering the damage, the Brit has since dropped into fifth place, around 400nm behind the race leader, Frenchman Charlie Dalin. However, with the race only around a fifth of the way through, and more than 19,500 miles still to go, the opportunity to re-join the leaders is still very much alive.

“It’s obviously disappointing but I’m not going to dwell on the negatives here because I think there are way more positives.” Thomson continued. “It’s positive that I found it before it was catastrophic, it’s positive that it happened in the conditions it happened in, which meant the leaders and the rest of the fleet weren’t moving away at 500 miles a day. So I’m just super happy that I’m still in the race. It could so easily have been the end of the race for me”.

Thomson won the hearts of fans around the world when, in the 2016-17 edition of the Vendée Globe, he finished in second place, despite suffering irreparable damage to his hydrofoil just 12 days into the race.

“I’ve been here before, and all you can do is get back on your feet and keep pushing forwards. I’ve probably still got a night and a half of work to do but, looking at the weather, the next few days are going to be quite light, so good conditions for me to finish the job”.

Alex Thomson “sailing once again” onboard HUGO BOSS - The Hub

Last edited:
Hugo Boss seemed almost at a standstill this morning. I expect Alex sailed slow on auto while getting some much needed sleep, then brought the sail down this morning to continue structural repairs. (ETA: He seems to be underway now, going by boat metrics and the latest tracker update. See graphics at bottom of post).

The two leaders gambled on getting through on the narrow wind system they were using before it collapsed. As we can see they were sailing slowly in the middle of an awkward mess of winds, much like the Doldrums. Alex on the other and was making use of this delay to consolidate his boat in preparation for the Southern Ocean.

1606225628620.png

Although it looks tempting to follow an indirect route by using and crossing two opposing systems, the distances are significant. APIVIA is over 500 nautical miles ahead of Hugo Boss. Sea Wolves will probably discuss the weather with his prediction software.
1606226236741.png

ETA - And now the good news. From the boat metrics and the latest tracker update we can see that Alex is underway. Lets hope he finds favourable winds to help lessen the gap from the leaders.
1606228157066.png

1606228244496.png

Last edited:
As Alex said in his latest update he's lucky it happened when it did otherwise the leaders could have opened up a 1500+ and probably insurmountable lead.

bentobox

Old-Salt
Didn't hit anything as far as he knows it appears to be the constant up and down wave pounding that caused the cracking which Alex noticed on his daily boat inspection.
Thanks, that's a little worrying, given that he's competed in these races before you'd think this type of issue would be taken into consideration during the design phase?

Maybe I missed it, but what was the cause of the damage, did he hit something?

Thanks
We don't know. Computer models can be very good but in reality unexpected forces can act on materials that were chosen for strength in a specific direction. In this case it looks like a member chosen for vertical strength was subjected to sideways forces. As @Spank-it says vibrations can be a problem. There are ways to address this.

This experience will feedback to future designs. What we have learned is that these cutting edge designs incorporate aerodynamics to reduce wind drag when the hull is essentially flying above the water. With each push through performance boundaries, new issues are discovered which have to be resolved. That is true for both aircraft and sea craft.

Latest Threads