Velux and alternatives?

muscat_diver

War Hero
I am building a garden room 9 x 5m. Light gauge steel frame with 100mm sandwich panel sides and 150mm roof at 9 degree pitch. Planning approval confirmed.

I am looking to put in 2 off 1.2m x 1.2m curved Velux type roof lights. They need to be able to open for ventilation and have good blinds to keep the Welsh summer sun out.

Grateful for advice on whether there are viable alternatives to Velux on price / quality?

Many thanks in advance.
1653280736233.png

1653280799323.png
1653280851613.png

We have curved Velux on the west side of the bathroom. Excellent for stargazing. A bit like the side blisters on Catalina aircraft.

CFB

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
Interesting and very timely. I think that Velux are the best on the market but you get what you pay for, including a good warranty. I spent yesterday overhauling the mechanism of a Velux roof window. One of 3, probably 20-25 years old in the house that we bought nearly 6 years ago.

The woodwork is tatty, hardly surprising given their age, however they still work well. We looked at replacing them last year but the 3 quotes were all eye-watering - approx 2k per window. So we decided to let them stag on for a year or two.

I also have experience of of a newer generation of Velux windows at my folks’ place in Normandy. Installed with solar powered shutters 10 years ago. The shutter mechanism failed about two months after the warranty expired. Velux said “Not à problem”. They sent a technician who gave both windows a good going over, replaced several parts and we were not charged a cent.

Last edited:
When i had to replace the blinds on mine, i discovered that there was a company that more or less did same blinds but cheaper, owned by velux maybe theres something the same for the units themselves

muscat_diver

War Hero
Interesting and very timely. I think that Velux are 5he best on the market but you get what you pay for, including a good warranty. I spent yesterday overhauling the mechanism of a Velux roof window. One of 3, probably 20-25 years old in the house that we bought nearly 6 years ago.

The woodwork is tatty, hardly surprising given their age, however they still work well. We looked at replacing them last year but the 3 quotes were all eye-watering - approx 2k per window. So we decided to let them stag on for a year or two.

I also have experience of of a newer generation of Velux windows at my folks’ place in Normandy. Installed with solar powered shutters 10 years ago. The shutter mechanism failed about two months after the warranty expired. Velux said “Not à problem”. They sent a technician who gave both windows a good going over, replaced several parts and we were not charged a cent.
Many thanks Ned a very useful post - basically you get what you pay for

muscat_diver

War Hero
When i had to replace the blinds on mine, i discovered that there was a company that more or less did same blinds but cheaper, owned by velux maybe theres something the same for the units themselves
Thank you Sir, if you remember the name please post, many thanks

Latest Threads