Velcro badges

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by danny842003, Mar 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With most of the MTP kit being issued with big velcro patches on the arms are badges and name panels now issued when you get in theatre? Im not saying i really want them as i wont need them in bastion. Just seems daft to have them velcro unless they are going to bother issueing badges to go with them. i know the ISAF ones are velcro. But are the blood group and ID panels all private purchases?
  2. Just been issued MTP, came with Brigade and ISAF patches, both were were velcro backed.
  3. Both are private purchase. As for blood Gp patches there is a thread on here about medics not looking at them.
  4. Yeah i totaly understand about the blood group not being looked for by the medics. Just wondered all seems a bit daft really. I mean on my MTP shirts theyve had to stitch velcro on to put the ISAF badge on. Just seems like they would look better stitched on in the first place.
  5. Yes you are wereing a ISAF badge in Afghan, when you go some were else you might need a UN badge or something differant. There are also times you have no badges. Also if you are issued a number of badges wether TRF, ISAF or what ever every time you exchange a top you don't have to pay to have new badges put on again.
  6. Velcro blood group patches - are they a rip-off?

I'll get my coat.
  7. Pay to have badges put on?????
  8. Not you in person the company still has to pay
  9. My MTP combat jacket has been issued with Velcro on it. Does anyone know where i can buy the velcro from to put it on my shirts? I have no tailor at the unit I am with. I have been to all the market haberdashery stalls in the city I live, and noone does that colour in that size.

Any help would be appreciated since I am deployed pretty soon.

Thanks in advance

10. You get the badges put straight on the shirt and don't bother with velcro
  11. The Fleet expect me to have velcro on my shirts too so I can take them off depending on where I am or what I am doing, so I need to get some sewn on ASAP.
  12. If they want you to have it on they have to provide.
  13. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

You may get the velcro issued at Strensall, so you can spend the evenings sewing...
  14. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Anyone know why the velcro on our uniforms comes in thin strips joined together rather than in a nice thick strip? It must cost more to have to sew 3 strips on than one thick 'un.

Other armies seem to be able to find wider velcro.
  15. Hang slack till you get out the theatre Nursie.

You'll be stuck in Bastion for at least a week while you complete your RSOI. There's 2 local tailor's located within the barbers (one on Bastion 1 and another on Bastion 2) who will sew badges on to your MTP gear for free.
    If you can't get enough badges for all your shirts then you can give him a couple of dollars and he'll sew some velcro on for you.

I've got velcro from my SQMS in the past as an expense item. If yours doesn't have any, you don't have time to wait for it to come through the system and you don't want to pay to get desert velcro sewn on by the AFG tailor the issued stuff is available here:

EBay - £2.55 per metre + 99p P&P (charged on 1st metre only) (not my Ebay listing just trying to be helpful - there's a few people selling it on there)