Vehicle Road Tax to be replaced by a pay by mile tax.

I think it’s a good idea, no more tax disc, no annual bill (that you can avoid) (here you can tax your car for 3/6/9/12 months at a time not sure about U.K.).

no need for a separate bill magic electronics. Just add it at the pumps
Road tax in the Uk can be paid annually, 6 monthly or in monthly instalments
Fuel duty can ‘easily’ be evaded with red diesel
As people move to electric cars they won’t pay fuel duty - it could be added to the price on public charging points, but not so easy on domestic or solar

Pay per mile will happen one day

Road tax in the Uk can be paid annually, 6 monthly or in monthly instalments
Fuel duty can ‘easily’ be evaded with red diesel
As people move to electric cars they won’t pay fuel duty - it could be added to the price on public charging points, but not so easy on domestic or solar

Pay per mile will happen one day
Which is another reason why the whole Red/green diesel thing needs reform.

Electric cars? Surcharge when you plug in

Which is another reason why the whole Red/green diesel thing needs reform.

Then you have the complication of having dual metering on domestic supplies.
Actually, if the hazy plan to use EV batteries as grid stabilisation storage actually comes to fruition, it gets a whole lot more complicated even than that, as the metering has to also take account of charge “borrowed” by the grid.

oh that's a turn off for electric- you'll be paying for it anyway. Unless of course, you charge on the overnight tariff.

1616231765236.png

That'll be the way forward. Oh wait....

Ex-Ten

War Hero
I guess I'll be walking/cycling everywhere from now on then....maybe it will also help with the UK's obesity problems as more fatties would probably start walking places.
There is a huge problem with people jumping in their cars for the most pathetically short journeys.

There's no possibility that the figures from Manchester aren't repeated in other towns. That's ⅓ of car journeys to a destination that the driver can see from their start point!

LondonAndManchester.jpg

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Then you have the complication of having dual metering on domestic supplies.
Actually, if the hazy plan to use EV batteries as grid stabilisation storage actually comes to fruition, it gets a whole lot more complicated even than that, as the metering has to also take account of charge “borrowed” by the grid.
That probably needs a little more explanation for those who don't know about it.

Essentially, it means the energy stored in car batteries won't just be used to power the cars themselves.

If the car's sitting outside your house and fully charged, for instance, why not use it to provide power at peak times, and then re-charge itself at off-peak times?

The EV becomes more than just a vehicle but a symbiotic part of the household; use the car to boil the kettle using power that you've already paid for but aren't using right now.

These writings, pictures and stories are what we can leave for the youngsters in our family who, sadly, will likely never have the chance to do the same.....the great adventure of just going off grid and go your own way.

Of course they'll still be able to do it - backpacking, like you mentioned, long predates individual vehicle-based hypermobility.

In fact most young people who spend long periods on cultural travelling are too young or impoverished to own vehicles. And even if they did, taking a complex and expensive-to-maintain machine with them would be a hindrance and risk versus just getting a local bus.

In the worst case they can do what I did to explore Europe in my late teens - use a bicycle! Off-grid travel at its stealthiest.

They'll be just fine.

Last edited:
Will there be the infrastructure for the national grid to cope with everyone charging an electric car in 10-15 years time, in the unlikely event that everyone could afford one
No.

This would be a manifesto issue; the Treasury are - rightly - flying the particular kite to see what the reaction is. I am firmly of the opinion that the right time will be in 10-15 years, when other aspects of our infrastructure had been modernised to the required standard. Given the move away from fossil fuels, both fuel tax and vehicle excuse duty based on emissions are unsustainable.
VED isn't based on emissions for new cars.

It is based on price at new. Hence my small more efficient runabout (i do more miles) is more to tax than my wife's bigger, less efficient child carrier.

gung_hobo

Old-Salt
On reflection, I think that I misunderstood a post and was needlessly rude. I believe that if I am rude publicly, then the apology should also be public. Northern_Biff, I apologize for being needlessly rude.

GH

I travel 30 miles each way to work. So paying per mile 60 miles each day wouldn’t be practical for me.
Lots of people in this country commute to work by car. Not everyone works 9-5 in an office or can work from home.
Also not everyone can travel by public transport to their workplace.
Also worth noting that although petrol and diesel cars will be banned in 10 years time, this is only for new cars. You can still go to a fuel station to buy fuel as we do now.
Presumably there will still be many petrol and diesel cars on the road for quite a few years after 2030.

I travel 30 miles each way to work. So paying per mile 60 miles each day wouldn’t be practical for me.
Lots of people in this country commute to work by car. Not everyone works 9-5 in an office or can work from home.
Also not everyone can travel by public transport to their workplace.
Also worth noting that although petrol and diesel cars will be banned in 10 years time, this is only for new cars. You can still go to a fuel station to buy fuel as we do now.
Presumably there will still be many petrol and diesel cars on the road for quite a few years after 2030.
That’s at the whim of Government policy. It would be a relatively straightforward matter to tax them off the road if the Government so choses.

tgo

LE
Yes you would be 'encouraged' by ever increasing fuel prices, less petrol stations (because less demand) and other ICE related obstacles.

Latest Threads