Vehicle Road Tax to be replaced by a pay by mile tax.

You need to tax per mile for electric vehicles where people may be charging at home, work etc. which makes it difficult to tax for the energy used directly.
It’s really not hard.

I’ve got an app on my phone which means that in the just about any country in the world I can call for a car. It turns up and I’m charged per mile for the journey I make. The driver doesn’t have a meter; he too has a phone. Alternatively, I can sign into the app, accept paying rides and get paid for them using by people who have a phone.

Uber solved the problem of paying per mile a decade ago. The entrepreneurial private sector is a wonderful thing.

It’s really not hard.

I’ve got an app on my phone which means that in the just about any country in the world I can call for a car. It turns up and I’m charged per mile for the journey I make. The driver doesn’t have a meter; he too has a phone. Alternatively, I can sign into the app, accept paying rides and get paid for them using by people who have a phone.

Uber solved the problem of paying per mile a decade ago. The entrepreneurial private sector is a wonderful thing.
Are you suggesting that the Government should turn over their revenue earning from road mileage pricing to the private sector?
I suppose it's an option, but you'll be beaten to it by a cabinet member's cousin.

Are you suggesting that the Government should turn over their revenue earning from road mileage pricing to the private sector?
I suppose it's an option, but you'll be beaten to it by a cabinet member's cousin.
The Government doesn’t earn revenue; it sequesters it. It turned over a large slice of its revenue capture to the private sector decades ago when it introduced VAT, a tax that is entirely levied and administered by businesses. See also Oyster and the National Lottery.

TBH I’d far rather contract out pay-as-you-drive revenue to the private sector who already do it than have the Governor commission some special system that will cost millions and never work. It’s not like government has much of a track record with IT.

The Government doesn’t earn revenue; it sequesters it. It turned over a large slice of its revenue capture to the private sector decades ago when it introduced VAT, a tax that is entirely levied and administered by businesses. See also Oyster and the National Lottery.

TBH I’d far rather contract out pay-as-you-drive revenue to the private sector who already do it than have the Governor commission some special system that will cost millions and never work. It’s not like government has much of a track record with IT.
Both fair points.
If only you had a cousin in the Cabinet, you could be at the front of the queue.

Because it’s not about the Vehicle Excise Licence primarily. It is about replacing lost taxation from Road Fuel Duty with the move to EVs.
Why is everyone assuming the usage of EV's on UK roads will continue to be taxed at zero after 2030?

(Or even before)

Why is everyone assuming the usage of EV's on UK roads will continue to be taxed at zero after 2030?

(Or even before)
Please see my post up thread, I suggest that EV's will be charged on a per mile basis and ICE's will be taxed as they are now. I would expect as EV's become more numerous I would see that charge come in from 2025ish.

Apologies Gents, I'm spending too much of my time on the Ukraine thread to keep up with everything else, even my 'pet' farming thread's being neglected.

It’s really not hard.

45+ years ago, before apps, smart phones and all the electronic bollox that has blighted common sense and dumbed down the nations IQ, i hired a car for a two weeks holiday, they read the odometer, before and after, and charged me a fixed rate for the miles driven. Job Jobed. ;)

Last edited:
45+ years ago, before apps, smart phones and all the electronic bollox that has blighted common sense and dumbed down the nations IQ, i hired a car for a two weeks holiday, they read the odometer, before and after, and charged me a fixed rate for the miles driven. Job Jobed. ;)

Hush. Away with your common sensical contribution. Apps add £kerchief, especially the extra VAT for providing a(n unnecessary) service layer to the economy.

That's not a particularly scaleable approach though, unless you fancy paying your future road mileage charge once a year when your car goes for MOT.

That's not a particularly scaleable approach though, unless you fancy paying your future road mileage charge once a year when your car goes for MOT.

Why not? Tax payable in arrears over 12 months. Cost naff all to set up as MOT stations collect this and are already connected to DVLA. Be a 440ml of urine to set up and run.

Why not? Tax payable in arrears over 12 months. Cost naff all to set up as MOT stations collect this and are already connected to DVLA. Be a 440ml of urine to set up and run.
Two reasons:
1. Fraud prone
2. It would mean the Government having their tax income delayed by a year, which I am prepared to make a bet would not please them.

ETA: Actually, there is a third reason, and that is the transfer of responsibility of revenue collection from HMRC to DVLA. I would be surprised if Sir Humphrey at HMRC wouldn't block this.

Two reasons:
1. Fraud prone
2. It would mean the Government having their tax income delayed by a year, which I am prepared to make a bet would not please them.

ETA: Actually, there is a third reason, and that is the transfer of responsibility of revenue collection from HMRC to DVLA. I would be surprised if Sir Humphrey at HMRC wouldn't block this.
You have a problem for every solution, its the British way. ;)

Latest Threads