Vehicle Road Tax to be replaced by a pay by mile tax.

Roads pricing will never be a vote winner - and will probably require some very complicated tweaking in order not to make it a vote loser. Why not just stick to the current Vehicle Excise Licence, but for EVs, base the rate on the kilowatt output of the motor? Car tax is a familiar and relatively uncontroversial system. It should continue to work well in the (decades-long) transition from petrol/diesel to EVs.
Because it’s not about the Vehicle Excise Licence primarily. It is about replacing lost taxation from Road Fuel Duty with the move to EVs.

4(T)

LE

Thats actually slightly worrying, because I reckon a big chunk of the reduced mileage is down to cost - and that much of that reduced mileage also indicates reduced economic activity, which is not good.

I know that, in my case, I've curtailed a range of activities due to fuel and tax increases (including the range of new city penalties and charges), and those activities be it leisure or trading represent economic turnover. The same applies for both driving and also delivery charges.

A couple of weeks back i met someone whose business had more or less collapsed due to the imposition of the ULEZ - people simply stopped coming into his outer London address.

Verwaltung

Old-Salt
The fitted tracker is the scary part! Consider, they won’t only know where you went but how fast you did it and it’s only a short hop skip and jump from there to fitting speed limiters and punishments for ‘non essential’ journeys or tracking adulterers etc - that may sound far fetched but did you ever imagine being confined to your house for 2 years and having to carry a passport for a vaccine? - even if completely innocent in intent this will end up being abused

A tracker of any kind isn't necessary - all they need to do is put more tax on the fuel. Drive more kilometres == use more fuel. That way no-one needs to know where those kilometres are to and from.
Perhaps that's too simple, or not really the agenda though.

Pagan-Image

Old-Salt
A tracker of any kind isn't necessary - all they need to do is put more tax on the fuel. Drive more kilometres == use more fuel. That way no-one needs to know where those kilometres are to and from.
I suspects the plan is to remove the existing Fuel duty (To bring price at the pumps down) and then put this in to re-coup the losses

I suspects the plan is to remove the existing Fuel duty (To bring price at the pumps down) and then put this in to re-coup the losses
You need to tax per mile for electric vehicles where people may be charging at home, work etc. which makes it difficult to tax for the energy used directly.

There are 3 electric car owners where I work, they're allowed to charge them at work which pisses a few of us ICE vehicle owners off as they're getting free fuel to travel to work.

Yep that will work but how will you tax the EV crowd?

Blogg

LE

It is already in progess

Only a short step to enable tracking and road pricing via Telematics

It is already in progess

Only a short step to enable tracking and road pricing via Telematics

That article is a bit OTT.
The fitting of speed limiters is indeed mandatory, I have it on mine, you don't have to turn it on though.

My mileage hasn't changed for 16 years, other drivers may be driving less, but I've been consistently driving 15,000 miles a year commuting to and from work.
I can only assume that you are being deliberately obtuse.

I'm happy with my good old fashioned diesel. ;)
IMG_20220316_021315_edit_302003259787251.jpg

Latest Threads