Vehicle Road Tax to be replaced by a pay by mile tax.

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
Hello to you all.

Heard rumours and mutterings about this idea for a while, the mutterings seem to be getting louder and more regular.

" A new pay per mile scheme is understood to be under consideration from the Chancellor with any charge set to replace existing vehicle excise duty (VED) and road tax charges. Instead, road users would pay a fee for each mile they travel meaning those who use the roads for longer will be more affected.It estimates drivers currently spend around £1,500 to cover 10,000 miles when adding petrol filling costs and VED charges."

" A, proposed 75p per mile charge could see drivers pay up to £7,500 a year in a massive five times increase. As the scheme is still under consideration, there have been no announcements on how much charges could be or which groups may be exempt from its heavy costs.
However, the scheme is expected to replace traditional fuel duty and Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) rates ahead of the 2030 petrol and diesel car ban.The pay per mile charges are easy to implement across all fuel types making it an easy solution when drivers begin to switch to fully electric models."

The Department for Transport has previously said they are committed to the transition to electric cars on UK roads.The DfT said it needs to ensure revenue from motoring taxes keeps pace with changes on the road.

On an Average 10,000 annual mileage they are looking at replacing VED and Fuel tax which amounts to approx £1500 annual costs to the new scheme of £7500 annual costs ( average vehicle etc )

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

If this did come into force , I for one would be financially crippled by anything approaching that tax level. I live in an area that has no rail links within 15 miles,which then still require an hour journey to a main line. Only 3 regular bus journeys a day to the village so that is not an option, approx 140 mile round trip for work by road as my start time is before public transport can get me there, plus a regular 250 mile trip to use my specially adapted car to take my mother out, due to her mobility problems ( back when we could take our mothers out of a care home )

To my mind, if you live out of a city, commute to work by road because of the public transport being not effective such as early, late starts or you are on a response time job, you might well be screwed.

Hello to you all.

Heard rumours and mutterings about this idea for a while, the mutterings seem to be getting louder and more regular.

" A new pay per mile scheme is understood to be under consideration from the Chancellor with any charge set to replace existing vehicle excise duty (VED) and road tax charges. Instead, road users would pay a fee for each mile they travel meaning those who use the roads for longer will be more affected.It estimates drivers currently spend around £1,500 to cover 10,000 miles when adding petrol filling costs and VED charges."

" A, proposed 75p per mile charge could see drivers pay up to £7,500 a year in a massive five times increase. As the scheme is still under consideration, there have been no announcements on how much charges could be or which groups may be exempt from its heavy costs.
However, the scheme is expected to replace traditional fuel duty and Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) rates ahead of the 2030 petrol and diesel car ban.The pay per mile charges are easy to implement across all fuel types making it an easy solution when drivers begin to switch to fully electric models."

The Department for Transport has previously said they are committed to the transition to electric cars on UK roads.The DfT said it needs to ensure revenue from motoring taxes keeps pace with changes on the road.

On an Average 10,000 annual mileage they are looking at replacing VED and Fuel tax which amounts to approx £1500 annual costs to the new scheme of £7500 annual costs ( average vehicle etc )

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

If this did come into force , I for one would be financially crippled by anything approaching that tax level. I live in an area that has no rail links within 15 miles,which then still require an hour journey to a main line. Only 3 regular bus journeys a day to the village so that is not an option, approx 140 mile round trip for work by road as my start time is before public transport can get me there, plus a regular 250 mile trip to use my specially adapted car to take my mother out, due to her mobility problems ( back when we could take our mothers out of a care home )

To my mind, if you live out of a city, commute to work by road because of the public transport being not effective such as early, late starts or you are on a response time job, you might well be screwed.
Source?

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
As a consultant engineer travelling to places where there is no credible public transport I would be putting a travel surcharge onto our rates. In a normal year I do between 18-20k miles.

Try getting from Cheshire to Otterburn by public transport, or Marham, or most MOD sites.

Not as batty as it sounds.

With the phase out of Diesel / Petrol engines ( Road tax calculated on emissions ) for EV ( No emission ) that lost revenue will need to be replaced by something.

So something is coming and pence per mile ( via a fitted tracker ) would be an easy option.

Rumours and mutterings I think.
Edit.
Ah, the Express. Must be pukka I reckon.

In fairness, the Treasury have wanted to do this for years now. Once we have made the shift to all-electric/hyrid vehicles in the 2030s and improved our comms infrastructure then it will work, but atm it will be punitive.

I guess I'll be walking/cycling everywhere from now on then....maybe it will also help with the UK's obesity problems as more fatties would probably start walking places.

With the phase out of Diesel / Petrol engines ( Road tax calculated on emissions ) for EV ( No emission ) that lost revenue will need to be replaced by something.

So something is coming and pence per mile ( via a fitted tracker ) would be an easy option.
For older cars, the annual MOT inspection details, which show the years total mileage, are computerized, and could in theory be accessed by the insurance companies.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer

I discussed this 30 years ago in my first job after getting out, involving a 50 miles each way commute. This in the days when cars and CVR(T) s ran on petrol (er, did the latter still at that point?) and only tanks and trucks ran on dirty carcinogenic diesel.

We concluded that ¼p on fuel would recover the same duty as road fund licence.

Edit. Duty you stupid etc speelchucker.

Last edited:
As a consultant engineer travelling to places where there is no credible public transport I would be putting a travel surcharge onto our rates. In a normal year I do between 18-20k miles.

Try getting from Cheshire to Otterburn by public transport, or Marham, or most MOD sites.

Walk.

ches

LE
The tech will need to be in place & robust enough for task.....and we know how great cent govt is at IT tech procurement!
I won't hold my breath on that but something is coming although for ease of implementation an increase in fuel duty coupled with a new type of VED for elec/hybrids will prob be what we end up with.
I can see compulsory fitted tracking devices being impossible to check & manage notwithstanding the civil liberties aspect & big brother stuff from the tin foil brigade.

Good for them, its got a mechanical speedo, under the dash, a quick turn, and viola! null miles Monsieur.
Yes, I suppose there are many ways of breaking the law that are hard to detect. Some people are just intrinsically criminal.

Whats that?
My Triumph Vitesse is all mechanical and MOT free?
Quite.
Pretty easy to whip my JDM Mk1 Roadster's dash pod out and erm...disengage the mechanical trip meter!
It records in kilometers! Eeek!:eek:
MOT shows miles are 216,116 which is bollox.
Barely run in at a mere 134000 miles.

Last edited:

Latest Threads