Vehicle Mechanic

Discussion in 'REME' started by Zreddor, Feb 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey all, im thinking of joing the REME as a VM, at the moment im working as a mechanical Engineer and have an NVQ Level 3 in it.

I have mentioned about joining the army to my tutors at college and they say that as i have an NVQ3 in Mechanical Engineering i go "Straight in"

Im not sure what this means, so if anyone could shed some light, would be appreciated.

2. They're pulling your plonker. You still have to learn the kit used, the AESP system, the Army's methods of working. You have to go through the mill and work your way through. Having a bit of an idea to start and being used to learning engineering will help you though.
  3. You won't go straight in, you may be able to join without the GCSE grades usually required and you may be able to skip parts of the phase 2 trade training. Once trained and in your unit you may also be recommended for fast tracking to Class 1 training although your NVQ is by no means a guarantee of this.

The NVQ MAY speed your progress through training but do not consider it a given.
  4. Welcome to the site. Seeing as I joined in 1975 as a VMB (*E) and am still serving I may be biased but if it flicks your switch jump in :soldier:

Thoroughly enjoyed myself in the short time I've been in and the job is only getting more interesting day by day.

Come on in, the waters lovely :D
  5. Went down to the careers today, going back next friday for the application process :eek:
  6. I think having a level 3 NVQ will allow you to jump straight in to WO2 (Q man). Make sure you let the training Cpls know this when you get to phase 1 so they give you the right rank on your uniform.
  7. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Smudge stop winding the bloke up with false gen... know it's only a jump straight to Sgt unless you have the arrse kissing add-on course certificate.
  8. Sorry bad. Forgot about that course.
  9. NVQ...Hmmm, I got thrown an NVQ Level 3 in Engineering Assembly after I did my Class 1 course. I didn't even know that we were getting NVQs. I got both of my jobs after leaving the mob on the strength of my City & Guilds qualifications and my Management qualifications. One employer actually laughed when he saw my NVQ. I don't think they are highly regarded to be honest.
  10. Because it stands for Not Very Qualified.