Vehicle Mechanic ~ Tell me more!

Discussion in 'REME' started by Little_Butch, Sep 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I signed up for Infantry a while back, passed everything and was ready to go.. Just had a wait ahead of me but then I thought about It and changed my Job choice to 'Vehicle Mechanic' as It seemed a better Idea to go In as a trade.

The Careers Office reckons I'm In for a fairly long wait but I don't mind as long as I get In eventually :D

I know a fair bit about the Job as I obviously researched It before I changed over to It but can any of you lot tell me more about the Job?

What's It like on Tour? And I've read you can apply to be attached to Special Forces?

2. You can be attached to special forces in most jobs.

3. Why would you want to be attached to SF as a VM anyway? It's not as if you'll go on Ops with them. You'll just fix their vehicles in Hereford. I suppose you could tell all your mates you work with 'them'.

4. What you want is some nice quiet unit out of the way that has sod all equipment to it and more downtime than you can shake a stick at.

Wait...sorry

What I want is some nice quiet unit out of the....etc

5. The REME falsely advertises all attachments to Para/Cdo units as SF. However as a class 1 VM/Armr you can also be posted to SF units and deploy on operations with them, granted you usually just stay in whichever base location they are operating from.

6. Yep. That makes sense. Especially an armourer. Don't suppose there's that many who can fix the DiMarco's and such is there?

7. VM?

Wouldn’t be a VM for anything. Have you researched or considered Recy Mech?

I transferred from Royal Anglians to REME as a Recovery Mechanic

It was a long time ago, 1976 – 1988 and obviously things have changed, but from what I read, you will have plenty of action on ops in this role, and it is a well respected job.

8. The blokes posted in just get sent on the relevant equipment courses for the kit, a lot of which tend to be run in the US.

9. Makes sense mucker.

10. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

That was a step up and a half wasn't it?
    8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

11. As a VM you would basically join the provisional wing of the Royal Automobile Club. Good Luck!

12. Cheers guys, I didn't get high enough Grades for the Recovery Mechanic If I remember rightly you need a C In English?

I'm really looking forward to going In and the future prospects after coming out look good aswell.

Butch

13. What they actually said to you is that you need to be able to "see". That's pretty much all you need as far as I'm aware. :)

14. Techie - you made my eyes water - lucky I wasn't drinking a brew :)

15. My bold.

Crikey!

When I joined, Recy Mech was a "lesser trade" than VM (on a lower pay band I recall, as class "B" tradesmen)

About 1980 or so, we were upbanded and so on a par. (Class "A")

Sounds like the best trade in the Army have done good now then, if more qualifications are required to join. :D

Perhaps they are not drinking as much? :cry:

Good luck anyway mucker, and as has been pointed out there will be a job in civvie street for you (AA) if you are not sick to death of greasy hands. (and Tiffies :D )