"Vehicle Graveyard", RAF Folkingham

Whats the thing with 4 wheels at the front ?

Im guessing all, this belongs to some old duffer who still thinks he will restore it all one day , despite being 84 .

B

bokkatankie

KSCN0055.jpg

Im guessing all, this belongs to some old duffer who still thinks he will restore it all one day , despite being 84 .

Not sure it is a British military vehicle, looks a bit soviet, maybe an ex-gate guard from GW1????

However there are hints of Landrover at the front:

That caught my interest as well, after a bit of googling, I found this

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?27773-Folkingham

It's an ex RAF snowplough,

AWD, using a P6 engine and Commer Superpoise cab. Dorman 6 cyl engine in van driving two underslung props to blowers. Axles look like Bedford but transfer box remains a mystery.

I think it was the wheels on the front that made me wonder , they look like WW2 yank truck wheels , is that what they called duece and a halfs or something ?

Would be great to see all that kit restored and together as a working airfield collection .

Bicester heritage anyone ?

If they could get away with it, the goverment would purchase them and would have those vehicles ready for our next deployment, cheap cnuts !!

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
Pikey heaven!

AWD, using a P6 engine and Commer Superpoise cab. Dorman 6 cyl engine in van driving two underslung props to blowers. Axles look like Bedford but transfer box remains a mystery.

Yes, agree with all that. You can see the end of the rotating blades to the extreme left, painted red.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer

Be honest - you just followed the HMVF link at the bottom of the link like everyone else didn't you?

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I think it was the wheels on the front that made me wonder , they look like WW2 yank truck wheels , is that what they called duece and a halfs or something ?

Would be great to see all that kit restored and together as a working airfield collection .

Bicester heritage anyone ?

You have to restore it before it goes to BH...................

Yes im on quite a few car forums .No end of stories of old barns full of cars left to rot , mainly because the owners hate to think someone else will be the one to make a profit when said car is done up .Not that they would ever get around to doing it , they would rather let them rot .

Then they die and a local bloke comes around and scraps all of them because thats a quick buck .

Lots of stories of cars rusting on drives and people never selling etc , then them getting binned .

Mate of mines dad cut up a marcos v8 and burnt it . Yank from a local USAF base didnt pay his storage [ corner of a unused massive barn ] so he chopped it up and burnt it , a let the local oily handed dodgy bloke have the engine trans and rear for £75 .

Pig shit ignorant farmers .

Bloke near me owns a very early Land Rover station wagon, that's been sat in a field for about thirty years, who rebuffed my offers to buy it as a rebuild project on the grounds that he's waiting for the right time to do it himself.

He's 87.

Be honest - you just followed the HMVF link at the bottom of the link like everyone else didn't you?

Bugger. I never saw that.
I was quite proud of my Google powers. It took me a few important minutes of my time to find that.
You just had to take the jam out of my doughnut, didn't you? :shock:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
strangely all these old geezers seem to have plenty of time and dont want to be rushed !!
my classic car is up on blocks in a warm dry workshop the engine is full of oil and sealed and the upholstery is wrapped in the attic, if I snuff it a list of where all the bits and spares are is in the windscreen
Farmers are the worst, went to see an Early Austin taxi (prewar) sold off in the 60s then used by students, then a farmer used it as cheap transport and then left it to rot, he told us it just needed a battery and it would run !!!!
they are worth 15 grand he told us easily sell for that ??
so I told him to ring us when he had the battery fitted and MOT sorted
in the Cotswolds I know of at least 30 classic vehicles like that either vandalism or weather damage will cause them to be scrapped

Latest Threads