Vehicle GPS kits

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Cuddles, Oct 5, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was patrolling through Cardiff this morning, safe in the knowledge that I and my Navman had allowed sufficient time to get on station, set up the projector and lap top and have a crafty coffee. Suddenly I was all alone in the world - Navman had gone AWOL!

Luckily I had allowed suffcient time to ask road mender directions, recover from stuipid road mending git's directions and find my target. However I was not happy.

I went out and bought a new GPS because comet were advertising a sale and my new GPS is a Garmin Nuvi. Excellent bit of kit with a whopping 4.5" screen and able to "statellites" even through my car's windscreen with its built in aerial and heating.

So I think that was a good choice. Navman by the way can S*d off if they think I'm buying their kit again.

What do fellow arrsers think - is it just a gadget and I should have spent the money on lash? Should I have bought the Zetec 3000 series Multi-view or should I have bought a car with a Satnav built in, in the first place?
  2. One word. Map.
  3. Quite.

Whilst the deserts of the ME might be a different matter, if you can't find your way round this ickle country without resorting to satellites, something is wrong.

Just look out for the church with the steeple.
  4. Two words - road safety. If I am looking for inner-city locations then I need a dynamic update of A-Z proportions to enable me to maximise the chaod, when I slam on the anchors, perform a U-turn without indicating before ramming my 4x4 into a parking space designed for a unicycle.

I do however carry OS sheets for all the areas around home, including one of those 25 miles in each direction jobs centred on my own post code.

Three words - belt and braces...
  5. Of course, I was being slightly facetious... ;-)

After all, Cuddles is an orifice... who'd trust him with a map?!

6. I was determined not to get one in this household however much wifey begged as all you need is a map surely, however having been given one as a pressie I can highly recommend them for city driving.

The TomTom we have has a choice of dulcet tones to direct you around roadworks and one way streets, its definitely faster and safer than using a map.
  7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I have STRONG opinions about GPS's in cars:

As background I haven't owned a car for a few years and regularly rent, living in the fatherland the average rental car comes with GPS and so I have experience of maybe a dozen different types, from Audi, to Merc, to BMW, etc etc and my current car which is a Ford.

There are three sorts of basic GPS systems for cars:

a) Tom Tom or equiv
    b) Built in rolling map display gucci
    c) Voice only and maybe an arrow on the dash between the speedometer and rev counter.

IIRC when I bought my Ford C-Max

b) cost 3500 EUR
    c) cost 900 EUR

For the record, a) should have been my choice, followed by c) and then b)

The in-built GPS's are fine but if you get a duff one (and the Ford C-Max December 2005 edition has it in spades) then you are stuck with it. I won't breakdown whats wrong with it but I far prefer the Audi, Merc or BM versions.

Teh advantages of (a) are you can take it with you on holidays or when driving other vehciles (hire vans etc), you are used to one system and can use it over time, if you don't like it you can ebay it and get another model, if you want you can get software off the web to customise it to your satisfaction and so on... you can also update the maps online without paying a load of cash for a new DVD and it sits on your line of site. The only disadvantage of it is that it can get nicked.

None of this (b or c) can be done by the car version. the only plus is that its quicker on the sat finding and some know where you are in tunnels and stuff.
  8. I went for the Garmin Gpsmap 60csx, it is an absolute mustard peice of kit.
    Bear in mind though the mapping software that comes with it in the first place is dire, you need to buy more mapping software which does not come cheap.
    On my machine I have Garmin Topo V2 (I believe) as I use my gps on both the roads whilst driving and out in the bondoo when hiking with Mrs Jobsworth and the dog. Having done my homework I "personally" consider Garmin's mapping to be of a superior quality to its opposition and at the end of the day that is all you are paying for, the mapping. The 60csx does however have its shortfalls, it is not the cheapest and in it offers no speech which may pose a problem to some.
    Oh and it canes batteries like a hungry fat kid in a sweety shop, although the batteries are 4 AAA's which everyone has access to.
  9. Got a Navman F50, and am now so reliant on it, I can't find my own arse without it. They are occasionally not too brilliant inside the A205/A406 in London, due maybe to the sheer density of roads, or signal inteference, (more likely) but its still better than leafing through an A to Z every 5 minutes.

It says on the box accurate to within 100 metres, but mine is good down to 25-30m, and can tell what side of the road you are on. Give it a full post code and it will take you to the door, literally.

I've had mine 10 months and I have to say its paid for itself many times over in petrol and time saved.

4/5 :thumright: :thumright: :thumright: :thumright:
  10. TomTom, kept up to date through the Laptop has got me 40,000+ Miles in the last 18 months, outstanding peice of kit, very reliable.
  11. Mitac Mio P550 (it's a PDA with GPS) loaded with MioMap. Comes with windscreen mount. Door to door navigation throughout Europe. Talks with a very posh accent and doesn't get too angry when you deviate from its chosen route, recalculates in less than 2 seconds. "No problems finding satellites even through the windscreen"? - I'd hope not, but the Mio works effectively even in the glove compartment, though it's also useful to be able to see the screen! Also have a PDair aluminium case for it with a belt clip, so it's not going to get nicked unless I get mugged.

As with any GPS, it's not infallible (bloody Birmingham with it's pedestrianised city centre was a pain, though to be fair, it did advise me that the destination was in an unreachable area), but it's safer than glancing at a map at every street corner.
  12. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I originally had Tom Tom on a PDA. Great functionality but a pain in the arse to carry all the cables, seperate blue tooth GPS etc. So went and bought a Garmin Nuvi. Great bit of kit but doesn't have some of the functionality that I'd come to like in Tom Tom. So gave the Garmin to the Sunray and got a Tom Tom 910. Great piece of kit, can't live without it as I do a lot of miles during the summer months.

The Garmin is great if you've not become used to using another brand.

The newer ones come with an FM receiver to update traffic, which is handy but sometimes can be badly wrong. i.e. there is no traffic jam where it says there is so should not be relied on entirely.

Maps are so 20th century :D
  13. Any of you Tom-Tommers taken your GPS's over the water? I was told that tomtom had all the marketing but their maps were a bit shite and they didn't do NI and the Free state.

T C
  14. I know the Map i have loaded on my one only does this Isle, and that the extra maps are around £30-40!

Also, i know of no provision to upgrade the British map free of charge. The A1 has changed a lot since my TomTom was born!
  15. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Some of them come with restricted mapping, for a particular country they are sold it for example. But mine has all of western Europe and the USA. I'm back off to Oz in a few weeks and have got my hands on the Australian mapping which is very good. You get what you pay for it seems.