Parking Charge Notification

• Bin it

Votes: 24 96.0%
  • Appeal it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • pay it (thou I wont)

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
So just received a 'debt collectors' letter from Rossendales Collect for £100 plus their admin charge of £30 (£130) for a parking charge ticket

From reading other websites it quite contradictory to what to do? Continue to bin the letters or go down some appeal route (even thou they aren't legally enforceable)

Any advice on this ?

Last edited:

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Go to pepipoo.com (IIRC) and ask there.

Try PePiPoo, they are the experts on this sort of thing.

Its a goldmine for any sort of thing like that, its helped me out before.

Bin it, I had one years ago. Kept getting threatening letters about bailiff visits, removing goods etc etc, all went in the bin and it all went quiet after about 6 months. Not heard anything in 3 years now, I assume they gave up.

Bin it, they have no powers to enforce it though they will try with various degrees of threatening letters and maybe a doorstep visit but that is unlikely as the collector knows he can't enforce it. The collection company will have a set time to try and collect on the invoice before it has to be returned to the parking company for any further action, the collector cannot enter without a warrant and cannot 'sieze' anything without a court order, the threat of credit damage is hollow as its a court that decides if there is anything to pay and then you have to default on it.

What happens with these things (apart from what PePiPoo says) is that debts are batched up and then offered for sale to other debt collection agencies. These then sift through them, trying to isolate the goodies from the wastes-of-time. Everyone normally gets three letters and three calls and then if they're unsuccessful, it goes back to the client, who tries again with some other DCA.

Rossendales have considerable form for this, as do Arrow Global. Whatever else you do, DON'T acknowledge the debt, TELL them if the debt is more than 6 years old, that it is unenforceable (but still don't acknowledge the debt is yours, and DON'T get into any exchange of letters.

They also all have form for trying to use reverse-searches on the Phone Book, Voters' Roll and DVLA, so you may get calls or letters "on spec" if your details match the dastardly beast who overstayed in a car park because it was late at night and "you" were too tired to continue.

If you are not the person concerned, immediately threaten them with (1) personal "visits" to their office with the Police to arrest those responsible or (2) that you will do your best to get their CCL revoked or suspended (this one works best). I was the subject of an identity fraud a long time ago, and a very polite insistence that the company would be having problems with the continuance of their CCL worked wonders. It is a CRIMINAL offence to attempt to collect a debt if the company knows you are not the debtor.

Don't lose any sleep about it, unless it's an official ticket from a council or other scummy busybody.

I know a guy who didn't pay a hospital bill in the Yank of A who then sold the debt to an Agency. They sent him a letter with admin fee "inviting" him to pay immediately or they would be round to kick his door and his head in. He said "come and get it". Being as that he was in Germany and they were in Vegas, he never got a boot to the door

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
I know a guy who didn't pay a hospital bill in the Yank of A who then sold the debt to an Agency. They sent him a letter with admin fee "inviting" him to pay immediately or they would be round to kick his door and his head in. He said "come and get it". Being as that he was in Germany and they were in Vegas, he never got a boot to the door
Cool story bro...

Has he tried to get back into the USA since?

So just received a 'debt collectors' letter from Rossendales Collect for £100 plus their admin charge of £30 (£130) for a parking charge ticket .........I threw in the binned yonks ago.

From reading other websites it quite contradictory to what to do? Continue to bin the letters or go down some appeal route (even thou they aren't legally enforceable)

Any advice on this ?
Put it in your juicer

Forastero

LE
Be very careful before you bin it, the law has changed and it's no longer that simple. Pepipoo is the place to go to for advice.

Forastero, has the law changed with regards to registered owners / drivers. Reason I ask is we have perhaps a dozen or so outstanding and our PM refuses to acknowledge them on basis all vehicles are registered to us however signed out by other parties and even agencies. AT last meeting we briefly discussed it and his position was simialr to what I have read in other similar threads, identify the driver and pursue them and NOT the registered keepers. I notice we are getting a bloody lot of them so it is a concern to myself however the others don't seem to fazed by it. The general gist i get is that offfical parking PENALTIES, of which we had 3 last month are paid on the spot, tthe rest are just panhandling biffs trying it on.

Forastero

LE
Sector, I'm really not an expert on this at all I'm afraid. I hang around a fair bit over on Pistonheads and these type of questions come up a lot and the resounding response is do not throw them away as parking companies have more (better?) legislation to support them since clamping was outlawed. A lot of it seems to be based around pre-estimate of loss as in it's unreasonable for Parking Company X to sting you for £100 when the actual loss was only £1 or whatever. I think pepipoo would be your best bet for a more definitive answer.

Thank you. OH plays there and just tells me to ignore them however as his chosen career path doesnt involve not pissing off officials I dont think he realises how much it worries me. Our PM just dismisses them and Im probably the only one who doesnt quite agree with this rather simplistic attitude so its a bit of a worry however the more I read about it the more it concerns me as no one can seem to answer definitively. These aren't abandoned cars taking the piss but generally overstays on callouts. Good example last month we had 3 vehicles at Rownhams om M27 the guys after a couple of swans. A 4 hour job, all vehicles 'chased' by ParkingEye and Rownhams refuse to waive the charge as they were called by Highways Agency and not by the site manager, hence they overstayed their 'parking rights. ' These sort of things not really in my area of experience however as a partner I have laibility should it go so far.

Latest Threads