Vegtables ~ 5 portions a day to keep healthy.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Killaloe, Nov 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I understand the rationale behind 5 a day and that we need our intake of vegtables to help look after our bodies.

Have just noticed on the side of some V8 vegtable juice that Mrs K has bought says that a 150ml = 1 portion of your 5 a day. So does that mean that a 750ml serving is 100% of your intake or does your 5 a day have to be a mixture of different vegtables ?

Sorry to ask such a numpty question but I am sure that their will be some expert advice on nutrition.

Cheers

2. Thanks very much Jarrod.

3. Sh1t. I struggle to get 3. 8O

4. same as most of the health advice on limits/amounts etc. As I understand it, the alcohol limits were set by a committee and based on vague guesswork.

5. Indeed. Seen quotes that it should be as much as 9 portions of fruit & veg a day for grown adults.

6. Oz say 7 a day.As chocolate comes from a bean does that count as one?

7. Nine bags of chips for you weegies? You're going to need a good old toot on your crackpipes to get over that.

8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Vegetables are not needed to stay healthy. I hate them and have never eaten any, still fit as a fiddle and healthy. Like most health advice, its subjective at best and bollox at worst.

9. Are you saying we're supposed to drink more?

10. More than you? I don't think my liver could cope.

11. This advice on eating loads of veg is all well and good, but the only time I can eat a load is in the evening, which means 0130 and 0430 I'm up and pishing for Scotland. I'm beginning to think any possible benefit I get from the antioxidants is being outweighed by the lack of rest.

12. I tend to wash and mangle together some shredded lettuce and carrots with a bit of olive oil and salt and pepper and it lasts me all morning since ive been doing it my skin is a bit better and im certainly more awake

13. Colon cancer is great like that, hardly any symptoms for ages and as soon as you get some your fu*ked. Sh1tting into a bag IF you are lucky.

We are omnivores and need to eat a diet to match this.

14. Right now English apples and pears are top notch and cheap.

Have an apple as a snack,

make a pear salad,

Here's one for starters, or mid meal :D :
    pear salad

15. Damn right it does. And anything with chocolate on it.