Vegetable oil as Vehicle fuel

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by error_unknown, Jun 8, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just chatting with a County Head of Forestry and Ecology.
    He is looking for a new diesel car ( peugeot 306 or simlar if anyone is selling one?) that he will run extremely cheaply on vegetable oil.
    He's campaigned for it's use for some years now and says the US military use it already. I thought it was a wind up until he showed me this website. Anyone heard of this? Thoughts?
  2. It works. Needs a drop of something more volatile to make it work better. Also better on used veg oil ie been fried in.

the problem is then the avoidance of duty. If you run a self propelled vehicle (car, van etc) you MUST pay duty on the fuel. Seeing as there is no duty on veg oil, you are avoiding duty, therefore 'nickable'.

Made the press last year......

A lot of effort for most people, but I likes it. Sustainable biofuel.
  3. They tried it on Top Gear about two years ago. Drained a Volvo, filled up with used chippy oil/white spirit blend and drove away.

Added the caveat about the tax though 8O
  4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

There was an article on how to produce chip fat fuel in either the Sunday Times or Saturday's Telegraph - will have a look for a link.
  5. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

You do have to register with HM Customs as a fuel producer so that you pay the duty.

They can, apparently, be a bit nasty about it though.
  6. Do they swear at you when you turn up to pay then? Or just mutter on about tree huggers and fukcing weirdos as you walk out the door?
  7. Nah, just set the Revenue on your sweet little arse...