Vegans and their totally cray-zay antics

IMHO a vegan lifestyle for all is an absurd and environmentally unsustainable concept. The required industrial scale production of plant foods is arguably worse environmentally than eating animal based foods. Anyone who thinks that plant based proteins are grown without harming animals really needs to get out and visit a farm. Organic yields are just too low to feed the population.
Soy bean production has major impacts which tend to be ignored. I don't recall when soya became an essential ingredient in bread but it seems to have been going that way. How much nature is supported by soy plantations?

Soy bean production has major impacts which tend to be ignored. I don't recall when soya became an essential ingredient in bread but it seems to have been going that way. How much nature is supported by soy plantations?
If you want to understand the ecological effects of industrial scale plant culture, look at the Murray-Darling basin in Australia.

Basically, one of the worlds great watercourses has been destroyed to irrigate crops. Soy is one of them. The secondary effect on indigenous wildlife is catastrophic and tragic.

A secondary ecological issue with global veganism is the loss of cloven hoof animals from the agricultural system. They are vital for creating fertile soils with a strong structure that resists erosion. Soil loss on land that doesn’t get trodden every few years is horrendous.

I’ve yet to meet a sanctimonious vegan who has a clue of the ecological damage his or her lifestyle actually creates.

If you want to understand the ecological effects of industrial scale plant culture, look at the Murray-Darling basin in Australia.

Basically, one of the worlds great watercourses has been destroyed to irrigate crops. Soy is one of them. The secondary effect on indigenous wildlife is catastrophic and tragic.

A secondary ecological issue with global veganism is the loss of cloven hoof animals from the agricultural system. They are vital for creating fertile soils with a strong structure that resists erosion. Soil loss on land that doesn’t get trodden every few years is horrendous.

I’ve yet to meet a sanctimonious vegan who has a clue of the ecological damage his or her lifestyle actually creates.
I have seen video of what is left of that waterway. Shocking. ETA, I think Simon Reeve covered it and maybe Ray Mears too.

Last edited:
I have seen video of what is left of that waterway. Shocking. ETA, I think Simon Reeve covered it and maybe Ray Mears too.
Another one. 80% of the worlds almonds are grown in California. Roughly 1/3rd of “milk” consumed by vegans is almond “milk”. California’s ground water is being depleted at an alarming rate in order to produce “milk” which is then shipped globally. The carbon footprint of almond milk is scandalous. And that’s before we consider the death toll on bees to pollinate the trees.

Outside of the Common Agricultural Policy, the UK will no doubt rapidly return to near self-sufficiency for dairy products. Low food miles, no depletion of the water table. Sustainable.

I can understand vegetarianism; my partner is a veggie. She’s a vet and doesn’t eat her clients. But sanctimonious vegans who bang on about cows milk being for the calf and yet skull almond milk....

Another one. 80% of the worlds almonds are grown in California. Roughly 1/3rd of “milk” consumed by vegans is almond “milk”. California’s ground water is being depleted at an alarming rate in order to produce “milk” which is then shipped globally. The carbon footprint of almond milk is scandalous. And that’s before we consider the death toll on bees to pollinate the trees.

Outside of the Common Agricultural Policy, the UK will no doubt rapidly return to near self-sufficiency for dairy products. Low food miles, no depletion of the water table. Sustainable.

I can understand vegetarianism; my partner is a veggie. She’s a vet and doesn’t eat her clients. But sanctimonious vegans who bang on about cows milk being for the calf and yet skull almond milk....
I knew California has a long standing water over consumption problem but wasn't aware of the almond milk situation. I tried it once and found it rather too sweet plus it needs to be shaken as it's not real milk.

That's the thing that annoys me about both vegetarians and dedicated carnivores, I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't need meat on every plate to make it a meal.

Omnivores will take a light hearted dig at veggies but will usually do them something separate and meat free if inviting them for dinner.

Good luck getting a veggie to reciprocate the courtesy.

Last edited:
I stand corrected. Though in mitigation it was a quick post before I left the office.

For curiosity's sake do they plant the chickens?

More a hydroponic method, I think. You can remove the husk and eat their seeds on a banjo a well.

Try my cooking, even my carnivore friends like it, and I never attempt to make it appear meaty for them. You would appreciate my curries, guaranteed.

In curries, your mainly tasting the spices. The 'filling' is mainly academic

I hit the link and got these guys, I was expecting a meal choice??

rexfeatures_4376070h.jpg

Flexitarian = Omnivore

Yes in reality (and its my response if im being polite) but no not in context

Flexitarian is a psuedo name allowing pretentious tossers to claim moral superiority over omnivors.

To be Flexitarian you see you have to make a concious decision to eschew meat (occasionally)

It allows you to be a patronising tosser and act like a militant Vegan - without actually making the effort to do so.

Most vegans do not understand the impact they have on the environment, from oil based clothing to the precious metals in their phones, tablets etc. If you tell them leather and wool are both sustainable and more environmentally friendly they get well pissed off.

Also point out that if people don't drink milk and eat meat then the fluffy sheep and the cute cows will disappear from the countryside as no farmer is going to keep them as pets. Although very noble, veganism is fuelling massive deforestation in Borneo for palm oil and the Amazon as more is de-forested for soya production.

I've tried recently some veggie alternatives to meat , sausages etc. and while some are not bad they are just not the same .

I saw an advert yesterday for a veggie chicken burger that tasted 'just like chicken'. If you want to taste something that tastes like chicken, eat one!

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
If someone wants to buy into the vegetarian / vegan lifestyle and not bother me with it, fine.
What I take exception to is (like organic a few years ago) when others are expected to go along with it - it's like we all have to play along to satisfy their needs ego. How can it be right for someone to determine that a child will be raised as a vegan - which is a 'lifestyle choice' they cannot possibly make for themselves? equally so for pet Cats & Dogs, make an informed choice for yourself, don't impose it or expect others to come down to your level (awaiting someone to say 'no, no, vegans are a higher level than omnivores, we've evolved beyond you.' which explains some of the expectation that the RoW will conform to their 'needs').

I'm of an age where good, hearty, varied meals were the norm, I never knew of anyone having food allergies, 'special diets' (unless they were fat) lactose / wheat / whatever intolerance, or any of the multitude of ailments that neccesitate special diets that we have now (equally, kids were not 'on the scale', that's for another discussion though) and i'm full sure it's due to a change in diet away from the middle range of 'a little bit of everything'.
I remember reading about as study of childhood allergies a few years ago, there were more instances in very clean countries ( I think Denmark or Sweden was the highest) than the planets schitholes, the conclusion was that food and the childs environment was too clean so they were never exposed to small but constant levels of dust and general muck that gives your body chance to get used to it.

ETA - not the one I remember reading but it makes the same point

Last edited:
I am sick to death of all the adverts trying to convince that vegan food is as good and as tasty as real food, and trying to guilt me into turn into a vegetablist.
Don't watch adverts then, that's my advice & don't be a effeminate excuse for a person! God puts animals on the earth so we could eat them - we have evolved teeth to rip/cut and chew meat, just as nature intended.

If you're a bible basher, it even say's in the Bible (Genesis 1.26) that we have dominion over them (the animals). If it's good enough for nature and the bible - I'm sticking to eating all edible animals/birds/fish and fruit and veg....bugger eating those poncy fake veggie burgers, give me some spare ribs with BBQ sauce any day!

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
You're right, but they are the ones who shout the loudest.
That's what makes them "right."

Move with the times, it's been that way since at least 1917.

Most vegans do not understand the impact they have on the environment, from oil based clothing to the precious metals in their phones, tablets etc. If you tell them leather and wool are both sustainable and more environmentally friendly they get well pissed off.

Also point out that if people don't drink milk and eat meat then the fluffy sheep and the cute cows will disappear from the countryside as no farmer is going to keep them as pets. Although very noble, veganism is fuelling massive deforestation in Borneo for palm oil and the Amazon as more is de-forested for soya production.
I’m involved in a business that utilises milk from a feral animal that does huge damage to indigenous flora and fauna. We’ve had some very aggressive abuse from vegan activists. When we point out that that the animals in our supply chain are removed from the wild and that the alternative was slaughter, they get very defensive.

So we get to a point of agreement that the population needs to be controlled. But killing them is obviously not on. So we’ve had a number of activists suggest that there should be a sterilisation program to control the feral population. There’s near on 1.5M of the ******* roaming around.

Dwarf

LE
Don't watch adverts then, that's my advice & don't be a effeminate excuse for a person! God puts animals on the earth so we could eat them - we have evolved teeth to rip/cut and chew meat, just as nature intended.

If you're a bible basher, it even say's in the Bible (Genesis 1.26) that we have dominion over them (the animals). If it's good enough for nature and the bible - I'm sticking to eating all edible animals/birds/fish and fruit and veg....bugger eating those poncy fake veggie burgers, give me some spare ribs with BBQ sauce any day!
Not trying to change your habits Bonny Lad, but get your arguments right. The teeth bit just doesn't work, the front teeth are more for biting down and the side teeth are for grinding, that's for plant stuff more than meat. Which does fit with the body we have that evolved as mainly vegetarian with a certain amount of fish, seafood and insects and a small amount of meat. Man was a scavenger more than a hunter.
I refer you to Mike Stroud who worked with the Army as a nutritionist. Mike Stroud (physician) - Wikipedia

Secondly, and I'm not a Bible Basher, get it right, it says dominion over animals, rule them, it doesn't say eat them. It follows on:
29 Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food. 30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.
So no command to eat them quite the opposite.

Latest Threads