Vegan in the territorial army?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got some pretty bad allergies to dairy, and I'm also a vegetarian so my diet is basically vegan.
I could eat meat although I'd probably have to get used to it first, but dairy is completely off.
I would like to join the territorial army, but would this make things too difficult?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
A lactose intolerant vegan, you say? It'd make things difficult alright, not for you but for the poor bastard that has to cook for you!

You have a 'Requirement for a Specific Dietry Restriction' and therefore unfit for military service.

I could eat meat if nessecary, it's just if it has dairy in I can't.
I hate to suggest this but would they let me bring my own food?
Are you just going to pop to Tesco on your way to war?

you have no chance

4E.10. Lactose and other food intolerance. Candidates with a confirmed history of lactose intolerance and/or any other food intolerance which requires an exclusion diet to prevent symptoms and/or which require any form of medical intervention are graded P8.

He would have been okay on the old days of compo.
The only dairy was the tube of condensed milk and (only vaguely possibly) the cheese possessed.

And he could be sure that any meat didn't taste anything like meat, so he'd be okay.

I've got some pretty bad allergies to dairy, and I'm also a vegetarian so my diet is basically vegan.
I could eat meat although I'd probably have to get used to it first, but dairy is completely off.
I would like to join the territorial army, but would this make things too difficult?
Presumably your dairy allergy has been medically tested and confirmed? I only mention this because I think a study in the States found that a number of enlistment candidates who believed themselves to have this allergy did not actually have it. By the way it's the Army Reserve these days.

Is that a relatively new thing? I served in the Regs with someone who was allergic to eggs, nothing special was put in place for him (except when it came to inoculations), he just asked what on the hotplate had been made with egg and avoided it.

Status
Not open for further replies.