"Vee" on tanks

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by rustygun, Mar 28, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Its an Israeli symbol meaning "Insert Jeep here. "

2. The picture shows an Israeli tank with "V" the right way up.The Allied recognition signal used is an inverted "V"

like this[​IMG]

3. It is a recognition mark which can be easily seen through IR sights and Night Vision Devices. It shows up as a prominant black inverted V against the background of the vehicle.

On top of that each Sqn has a different shape around its callsign which also aids recognition, my Sqn has a triangle for example. In addition there are different bands drawn on the main armament to show the CS and the Sqn. These all show up on IR and NV devices.

4. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

It means-

"Dear Mr A10 pilot, dont blow me up!"

5. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

Brotherinblack was asked this very question by the officer in charge of a US checkpoint South of Bagdad.

It makes one think...."What is the bloody point?"

6. I thought it meant "This Way Up" :p

7. Bugg*r - they thought it was an aiming mark!

Please put your Hellfire here...

8. It was introduced by the Americans to simplify their target recognition.

They used to write "US" on the side, but realised that without the corresponding "THEM" on the enemy tanks their troops were still getting confused....

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

:lol:

10. Firestarter - I think you will find its a US M1 Abrams tank like it says on the box - :lol:

Israelis have Merkavas and look completely different.

Just thought you'd like to know :D

11. Israeli Merkava Mk 4's seem to wear several variants of the V in White upside down & the right way up! As illustrated by the following pictures:

http://www.israeli-weapons.com/weapons/vehicles/tanks/merkava/MerkavaMk4.html

The Merkava is a interesting front engined hybred tank design with a APC ramp at the rear, capable of carrying eight infantry, a command group or three stretcher casualties, in addition to the tank crew of commander, loader, gunner and driver.

The tank is fitted with a 120mm 'NATO' Smoth Bore Main Gun plus 7.62mm machine guns and also an internally operated 60mm mortar system. The mortar can fire explosive and illumination rounds to a range of 2,700m.

12. Before this degenerates into yet another load of half-witted nonsense, the simple explanation for 'what is the Vee thingy' has already been offered: it is (primarily) a visual (partial spectrum) IFF mechanism.

It can be arranged in any particular way - the exact placement of the marker being agreed at strategic level, as certain units found out in Iraq when they thought they were being clever by painting their 'vees' a la Granby before being told they were being rotated through 90 degrees! :D

13. Nothing to do with the glory days of Agincourt and longbowmen then? :wink:

14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I would have thought that the simple US technique of driving around in a Green vehicle on a desert background would have been sufficient, none of this V business....

When I remember all those lessons about Shape, shine and sillouette (well clearly I don't remember but I digress) and in GW2 so many folk are bowling around in vehicles/Heli's painted for Northern Europe it makes a mockery... My old RSM would be spinning in his grave if he wasn't pulling pints somewhere in Yorkshire.