Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by harris921, Aug 22, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys, are there any TA VE'S on here? Could you give me a heads up on the trade training? How long is it and what sort of things are coverd?

Im a civvy mechanic who does alot of electrics. Tracing short circuits, battery drains, continuity checks, resistance checks, checking for 12v, following wiring diagrams.

How does this compare to being an Army VE?
  2. Anyone?
  3. Well I would assume it would be starting with the basic electronic principles ,after all it’s the same for Civi’s as it is the Army

I would guess with Tech trades it will consist of workbook learning and then a 2 week course for each trade level

You might be exempt from class 3 because of previous qualification/experience ,but stand by for “Egg sucking “ till you reach the required level ,you will have learn the “Army Way “ both low tech and high tech with the vast range of old and new vehicles out there !

BTW this is merely a guess as I’m neither VE nor REME
  4. Sorry to hijack your thread but would be interested to hear on how other VE's are going with securing dates with trade training too.....
  5. What's the problem? CVHQ REME, Bordon sd be help/advise.
  6. As far as I can remember:

VE training is broken down into Class 3 , 2 and 1 like any other REME trade. You used to be able to go straight to Class 2 if you have the relevant civi qualifications. Not sure if you can still do that.

I haven't checked the pinks but something in my mind is telling me that there aren't many courses running this year.

If you want to get on a course quickly, then go VM. They run squillions.

Best bet is to nip down to a unit and ask. Most units should have some kind of REME bod kicking about.

If you're prepared to wait a while, I can check the course dates and stuff when I'm back in September.