VCs of the RAMC

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Bedpan2zero, Nov 27, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'll get the ball rolling - so to speak with my platoon, named after:-

William Henry Snyder Nickerson VC, CB, CMG

He was 25 years old, and a lieutenant in the Royal Army Medical Corps, British Army, attached to Mounted Infantry during the South African War (Boer War) when the following deed took place for which he was awarded the VC.

On 20 April 1900 at Wakkerstroom, South Africa, during the advance of the infantry to support the mounted troops, Lieutenant Nickerson went under very heavy shell and rifle fire to attend a wounded man. He dressed his wounds and remained with him until he could be taken to a place of safety.He later achieved the rank of major general.
    Grave/memorial, Buried at his home in Cour, Kintyre, Scotland
  2. My house as an apprentice;

Lance Cpl. Henry Harden VC
    45 (RM) Commando
    Brachterbreek, Holland
    23rd January 1945

Henry Harden showing a selfless devotion to his duty as the medical orderly to the forward section of the troop to which he was posted succeeded in rescuing a wounded comrade who was lying in open ground. Although the area was being subjected to heavy and constant machine gun fire Harden went out a second time with stretcher bearers to rescue another wounded marine. On the return journey the wounded man was hit again and died. Undaunted Lance Cpl Harden went out a third time for another wounded comrade and calmly attended his wounds while being fired upon. However on the third journey home Henry Harden himself was hit and was killed.

Henry Eric Harden is buried in Nederweert War Cemetery Holland.

Thats what its all about.
  3. Only three people have been awarded the Victoria Cross twice: Noel Chavasse and Arthur Martin-Leake, both members of The Royal Army Medical Corps, and New Zealander Charles Upham.

Love Wiki!
  4. Yet another reason to be proud of the RAMC, Chavasse and Martin-Leake.

After watching the VC program its amazing to hear what these guys did!! Very humbling.

That Aussie fellow was abit of a nutter, Jacka, he stormed in and killed 7 enemy in a trench, shot 5 and bayonetted 2!! The kind of stuff war films are made off!

It never ceases to amaze me, real courage.
  5. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

NG Chavasse was my House in Brat Coll.

His first citations read:

During an attack he tended the wounded in the open all day, under heavy fire, frequently in view of the enemy. During the ensuing night he searched for wounded on the ground in front of the enemy's lines for four hours. Next day he took one stretcher-bearer to the advanced trenches, and, under heavy fire, carried an urgent case for 500 yards into safety, being wounded in the side by a shell splinter during the journey. The same night he took up a party of trusty volunteers, rescued three wounded men from a shell hole twenty five yards from the enemy's trench, buried the bodies of two officers and collected many identity discs, although fired on by bombs and machine guns. Altogether he saved the lives of some twenty badly wounded men, besides the ordinary cases which passed through his hands. His courage and self-sacrifice were beyond praise.

and the second:

Though severely wounded early in the action whilst carrying a wounded soldier to the dressing station, he refused to leave his post, and for two days, not only continued to perform his duties, but in addition, went out repeatedly under heavy fire to search for and attend to the wounded who were lying out. During these searches, although practically without food during this period, worn with fatigue and faint with his wound, he assisted to carry an number of badly wounded men over heavy and difficult ground. By his extraordinary energy and inspiring example was instrumental in rescuing many wounded who would have otherwise undoubtedly succumbed under the bad weather conditions. This devoted and gallant officer subsequently died of his wounds.

Beyond Courage.
  6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Oh, and a distance relative runs a Dentists nearby!

I recall painting a montage in the SNCO Bar in the Clothing Factory in Sipovo, 1998ish.

Chavasse was the central figure and it was framed by our chippy with nicely stained 4x2.

On my return in 2001 it was painted out, you know who you are!!!
  7. pop quiz , hotshot!

... but can you find a link between all three??
  8. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Chavasse died in 46 CCS, commanded by Martin-Leake and was a distance cousin by marriage to Upham.
  9. Damn beaten by a copper, not for the first time
  10. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Like you knew the CCS number!! Fingers.
  11. Had some old RQ droning on to me on a battlefield/cemetry tour in Belgium a few years ago, but no I di not know the number to the CCS
  12. Sorry guys if I appear to be taking you off thread slightly, but it's to respectfully point out the others in the Chavasse family who served with great distinction.

Noel also had the MC which was awarded as well to his brother Francis Bernard. Noel's twin brother Christopher served as a chaplain and later became an Anglican Bishop. He died in 1962.

The Irish branch of the Chavasse are cousins. Kendal won 2 DSO's and it's strongly felt should have been awarded a 3rd but disagreed with his Div GOC on tactics and was not recommended. His brothers Evelyn Henry and Paul served in the Royal Navy. Evelyn was DSO, DSC while Paul was DSC & Bar. All of these brothers were also MiD's.
  13. They almost make courage look genetic, or was it just how people were then :?:
  14. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

See, it was interesting! There's me thinking you had hangover!