VC winner branded a war criminal

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Rumrunner, Apr 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. VC winner branded a war criminal
    By Paul Chapman in Wellington
    (Filed: 10/04/2006)

A ruse that helped to win a soldier the Victoria Cross during the Second World War was a "war crime" and New Zealand should apologise to the families of the snipers he killed, it was claimed yesterday.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=J0XKBODNYGPKXQFIQMGCFGGAVCBQUIV0?xml=/news/2006/04/10/wvc10.xml

A very brave resourceful man I would say. You need to have lived through those times to make judgments like that.

2. Illegal or not, that must have taken some guts to do.

3. How many lives did he save by doing what he did? Plenty I'll bet. Shame that those calling him a war criminal haven't considered that.

Good on him, a very brave man indeed.

4. What a pile of muppets is all I can say. He was an incredibly brave man. I doubt that any of the academics would have had the guts to do what he did.

5. He used his brain to outwit the germans, nothing wrong in that, worst tactics have been used and are still used.

6. This is a hard one. He did what he thought was appropriate to neutralise the enemy. Despite this, I believe it is in contravention of the geneva convetion to don enemy uniform in order to gain an advantage when attacking them.

Some of the allegations are slightly off the wall though.

Hardly unsanctioned murder!

7. What utter tripe :roll:

lancslad

8. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

If these cretins want to push their point of him "killing enemy soldiers while wearing their uniform," he was wearing one item of German eqpt in a sucessful attempt to blend in with his surroundings. Sounds like camouflage to me.

Would he have got away with wearing just his battledress & claiming he was in uniform ?

Holier-than-thou apologists who spout this sort of bollocks, such as "Peter Wills, the deputy director of the Centre for Peace Studies at Auckland University," should try volunteering to put themselves in harm's way before they open their mouths.

Bernie's pit still available ?

9. Especially if the Germans had caught him, would they not have been entiltled to shoot him???

10. a very brave and resourceful man i particularly liked the part after he had shot the leader he joined in looking for who had fired the shot.

You couldn't make that up

11. If he had been caught then the Germans would have shot him instantly (then again they would have done that anyway).

Going against snipers is always hard. While it was breaking the rules of war, would his detractors have preferred it if he had gone to battle wearing a bright orange leotard? How many lives did he save by his actions? Rather a lot, especially when you consider how capable and deadly the German snipers were and their resultant kill ratios.

12. Its very easy for academics to make statements without having any idea of the circumstances that surround the incident. As has been said here already, he undoubtadly saved many more lives by taking this action.

What balls the bloke had to do it though!

13. War criminal? Unlikely. Of course, if he was captured then he would not have rights of POW.

As for the ruse then where have you seen a war without a ruse?

Let's recalд 2 SAS men. They killed Iraqi policeman and didn't wear British uniform. Was it a war crime? No of course.

14. I find these apologists repugnant. In a time of war a man no different to millions of other servicemen at the time had the brass balls to go up against 5 enemy snipers at extreme risk to his own life. Had he been caught wearing an enemy smock as a disguise he would have been shot as a spy (I'm sure that I'll be corrected if I'm wrong!!). IMHO taking out these 5 snipers (and the other 28 he reportedly dealt with) probably saved tens, if not hundreds of lives.

When these sad, pathetic people have been in the face of it then maybe, just maybe they might be worth listening to. Otherwise (and I'll be polite here!) - butt out of what you don't, and never will, understand.

15. A far greater and braver man than the idiots who try to smear his memory. They forget too easily the state the world would be in without men like this who fought and risked everything. I doubt they'd even be able to contemplate writing their books if history had taken another course.....

Twat....