• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

VC Walt faces prosecution

Legal action is being considered against a pensioner who passed himself off as recipient of the Victoria Cross at a Remembrance Day service.

He wore a Royal Navy beret, an officer's badge, a fake VC and other medals at a Royal British Legion service at Fakenham, Norfolk.

A special constable at the event shook his hand, assuming the man to be Lt Cdr Ian Fraser, the Royal Navy's only surviving VC recipient from the Second World War.

Afterwards the constable wanted to confirm that the man had been Mr Fraser.

He tracked down Mr Fraser's daughter-in-law, who said that he had been 210 miles away at his home on Merseyside at the time. British Legion officials in Fakenham suspect that the pensioner has passed himself off as a VC holder several times.

Adrian Allenby, the Norfolk field officer for the legion, said: "We have received a complaint. We hope to avoid going to the police but the complainant has said if we don't deal with this they will seek a criminal prosecution.

"We know who this person is and hope the matter can be resolved. It is fraud for anyone to wear a medal to which they are not entitled."

Mr Fraser, 84, said: "It is dreadful." He won his VC for a mission in a miniature submarine to sink a Japanese cruiser off Singapore in 1945.

Norfolk police said: "It is possible to prosecute someone for making false representations."
Daily Telegraph

Bastard.

I'm holding fire on the full vitriol till more facts are known, though as the story stands this is a contemptible act. I think it will be very sad if he turns out to be a veteran who’s not content to be proud of what he did contribute but feels the need to pretend to be more than he is.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Fcuk U Biscuits - I am Napolean, and Churchill (Weekends only)

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I also meant to add that I agree with D Bint - its probably sad and pathetic rather than evil... but very sad!

maninblack

LE
Book Reviewer
Biscuits_AB said:
I frequently dress up as Napoleon.

sknn said:
Fcuk U Biscuits - I am Napolean, and Churchill (Weekends only)
Well I'm going to complain to the police about two people impersonating me, I was 210 miles away at the time just like I was when the Belgrano was...........NURSE!

B

Biscuits_AB

fooboy said:
Biscuits_AB said:
I frequently dress up as Napoleon.
That is creepy............................................... I dress up on weekends as Josephine
If you've woken up with a sore arrse it's bollox all to do with me.

sknn said:
I also meant to add that I agree with D Bint - its probably sad and pathetic rather than evil... but very sad!
It may be sad and pathetic, but it should also be caught, outed and shamed. I mean, the only reason to wear a VC you aren't entitled to is to get some attention. So it's only right that they get as much attention as they possibly can. It may not exactly be the attention they were seeking, but hey, you can't have everything.

On a final note, if these people are caught, shamed and possibly convicted it will act as a deterent to ther would be walts..... but it will also show that the medals and those who have actually been awarded them have not been forgotten and we wont allow that value to be undermined.

cautionary note:
War medals do get stolen all the time , forcing many vets to buy replicas to replace it, so many will have "copy" on the back these medals.

if that is the case a pint is owed, if however he really is a walt then a public mocking is in order with a full page spread in the papers which is far more effective than prison time.

He's a fake. Unfortunate, but we get more of these than even ARRSE realises. We deal with people who want to know how to arrange a service burial for their grandad, who was an Admiral, etc, when it turns out that they had never even served. Many people wear medals that they are not entitled to wear (even the bloody NATO Article 5 ones that people are wearing illegally and still serving!). We have people who have promoted themselves on discharge, and those that write in demanding to know why we won't refer to them as xxx(Retd) - when they are not entitled to use the retired rank anyway!

How do you tell someone that their Grandad has been spinning total fabrications for god knows how long, and that his whole life has been a sham? The uniforms are not his, the medals are not his, the memories are all stolen? This bloke has impersonated the last remaining Naval VC, and is about to have his whole sad existence exposed.

It's sad when youngsters do it, it's even sadder when veterans do it.

Dopn't know about the 60th anniversary of D-Day but at the 50th anniversary I was at Pegasus Bridge and witnesssed a couple of scuffles as a result of the Old and Bold ferreting out Walts with medals that did not tally with their "alleged" war service.

I have just received a CV from yet another Walt claiming to have been in the Regiment - nobody here (a mere 230 years combined service at Hereford) can remember him and trust me, the photo he has attached to his e-mail would cause the most forgetful individual to remember him.

Rifleman69 said:
I have just received a CV from yet another Walt claiming to have been in the Regiment - nobody here (a mere 230 years combined service at Hereford) ...etc
So is that one very old trooper (first through the window at Hugemont farm) or a load of blokes who failed the BFT at selection...

I'd tell you all about my service with the "regiment" but of course - I cant

as I don't have any

Mental illness could be the cause for wearing the VC etc as he did,its not the actions of a very clear mind.If he is ex-service then something is perhaps wrong in his mind and does need help.

I often dress up as Lady Emma Hamilton-the Trafalgar Celebrations were an absolute storm for me,jolly jack tar did not suspect a thing.

cpunk

LE
A despicable old toad, but there's a lot of it about. At the Remembrance Parade I went to, one of the local Labour Councillors was wearing 4 WW2 medals, including two theatre stars, and I reckon that to have earned these he would have to have been born no later than 1927 and thus be 77 or 78 now, except he's in his fifties. The most likely explanation is that he was wearing his father's medals - but on the left breast rather than the right.

I do think we need an up to date law to cover this kind of misrepresentation, just as the US and Australia do. Petty walting can be quite funny, but it's often just a step away from criminal fraud.

Hat20 said:
Mental illness could be the cause for wearing the VC etc as he did,its not the actions of a very clear mind.If he is ex-service then something is perhaps wrong in his mind and does need help.

I often dress up as Lady Emma Hamilton-the Trafalgar Celebrations were an absolute storm for me,jolly jack tar did not suspect a thing.
Thought you were a bit hairier than your average Pompey bird, but then again, you can't always tell until it's too late....

cpunk said:
.... The most likely explanation is that he was wearing his father's medals - but on the left breast rather than the right.
Cpunk,

How would the man in the street know that? Where is the definitive guide? As the whole issue is a minefield, I wonder if either the MOD or this site could be persuaded to publish a guide to wearing father's medals or, indeed, wearing medals that you've earned, once you leave the Services.

My dad is still going and won't relinquish his yet.

My grandfather managed to survive 4 years of WW1 (but the gas eventually got him some 10 years later in his mid-30s) - can I wear his?

Litotes

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MrMemory Waltenkommando 3
J Waltenkommando 135
Glad_its_all_over The Intelligence Cell 35