VC found in biscut tin in Preston

#3
Talk about Cash in the Attic. Hopefully the relevant regimental museum will get it.
 
#5
Naval and military Press do a reprint of an excellent book "Somme Harvest" by Giles Eyre, who was in Mariner VC's section. The book covers Eyre's few months on the Western Front until he is taken prisoner during the Somme offensive. There is a very moving and shocking part covering Mariners death, in which Eyre is covered in Mariners matter as he is blown to pieces.

FM
 
#6
I hope the family have a real appreciation of what this medal means, not just wringing their hands in glee after trying to flog it at a car boot sale.
 
#7
Thats a Lancastrian for you, that nails and hard and brave he kept his VC in a biscuit barrel in the loft....
 
#8
Good find! Hopefully the medal will go to a regimental museum,not stuck on some walts wall!!! (or worse still,it's chest!)
 
#9
Hi All,

hope the family have a real appreciation of what this medal means, not just wringing their hands in glee after trying to flog it at a car boot sale.
Yes, they're selling already (though that is their perogative).

No, not a boot sale (though don't you just wish... ); :D

Now the VC won 91 years ago – and not seen for the past 60 years – is expected to fetch up to £80,000 when it is offered for sale at Spink's in London on November 23.
http://www.prestontoday.net/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=73&ArticleID=1852452

Best Regards,

b_flat
 
#11
Don't think you should be able to sell a VC, Grandad was Bona Fide Hero and they get to live mortgage free and have a nice holiday and a car. There should be a 100% tax on selling medals except by the recipient themselvs, but as we know the real heros wouldn't dream of selling them, they keep thim in buiscuit tins. When he looked at the medal he saw lost comrades and no doubt felt guilty, his off spring only see £ signs. End Of
 
#12
fusrml said:
Don't think you should be able to sell a VC, Grandad was Bona Fide Hero and they get to live mortgage free and have a nice holiday and a car. There should be a 100% tax on selling medals except by the recipient themselvs, but as we know the real heros wouldn't dream of selling them, they keep thim in buiscuit tins. When he looked at the medal he saw lost comrades and no doubt felt guilty, his off spring only see £ signs. End Of
Agreed! If the money grabbing relatives need cash that bad,then sell a kidney,a sprog or even the wife! But not a VC!!!
 
#13
Should not be sold. Should be cherished, not impressed at all.
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#15
minister_doh_nut said:
Thats a Lancastrian for you, that nails and hard and brave he kept his VC in a biscuit barrel in the loft....
........and like true Lancastrians, his family are just about to flog it.
 
#16
Biscuits_AB said:
........and like true Lancastrians, his family are just about to flog it.
The last Jock recipient drank his :D
 
#20
Greenjackets - soon to become The Rifles.
 

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top