VC & Bar Hero to be set in stone.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DodgerH, Nov 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Campaign to set double VC hero in stone Nov 11 2005

By Alan Weston Daily Post Staff

A CAMPAIGN to create a lasting monument to one of Liverpool's bravest sons was launched yesterday on the eve of Armistice Day.

Noel Chavasse is the only man to have been awarded two Victoria Crosses during World War I, but no permanent memorial has been dedicated to him or to any of Liverpool's other 15 VC holders.

A number of veterans, including a VC winner, called on this to be put right when they attended yesterday's event at Liverpool Town Hall.

It is hoped the £120,000 statue will be sited at a prominent location and unveiled at the start of August 2006, the 90th anniversary of the award of Captain Chavasse's first VC.
  2. I read about him in de Billier's book on VC's.

All I can say is I want him as my MO next time I go on Ops!!!

The man was an absolute hero, with balls the sizes ofbowling balls.

And whats more, he never once picked up a rifle or any other type of weapon.

Today is thier day.
  3. Capt Noel Godfrey Chavasse VC and Bar of the RAMC!!
  4. 2 VCs....from Liverpool...Must have been an Evertonian!!

5. Have visited the grave, just in line with the others in a small cemetry in the corner of a field. A special man.
  6. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Fitting tribute to a true hero of the Royal Army Medical Corps. How do you contribute to this venture?

I wonder if there are plans to follow suite for Lieutenant Colonel Martin-Leake VC and Bar Royal Army Medical Corps?