VC and bar

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Fireplace, Dec 9, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

I seem to recall in the IWM Victoria Cross exhibit there was at least one VC with bar on display and a story about a medic in WWII who may have got two bars (the final one posthumously). But I was moderately well oiled at the time so may be in error.
  2. Capt Noel Godfrey Chavasse RAMC

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  3. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

Out of the three VC and bar recipients, if one can dare rank them, then both of the RAMC members for cold calculated courage are mine, however one can't help but admire Charles Upham and his aggressive spirit.

I think it is impossible to separate the three of them, different wars and different incidents however all three displayed the highest standards of personal courage.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

5. CanteenCowboy

CanteenCowboy LE Book Reviewer

The names of the three, are even mentioned in the article, Second Boer War and WW1 Lt Col Leake RAMC, Capt Chavasse WW1 RAMC and Capt Upham WW2 2NZEF.
  6. Strange that, as Chevasse sounds a bit cheese eating surrender monkeyish.
  7. I reckon once you have a VC it's a bit like a sports day in a British primary school... everyones a winner.
  8. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Unless you are the recipient of a posthumous one. Then from a personal perspective its a bit of a no-score draw.
  9. True, but I was thinking more about the surviviors.

I think on the Jeremy Clarkson documentary they mentioned how on looking at VC winners they had distinct similarities. ie they had responsibility thrust at them from a young age (i think that was one of factors).

Just wondering if there was anything looked at for the Bars? Even the fact that it was going to ratshit and the later bar winner already had a VC?
  10. Totally irrelevant. I have no doubt that these gallant gentlemen just did what they thought was right and proper. Trying to rank one action against another would have them turning in their graves.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Bravest? It can never be known. Remember there are many that commit brave acts that go unrecognised or unknown.

I find it quite strange that only one VC was awarded for the whole of D-Day.
    • Like Like x 2