VBS2 - Building a PC dedicated to it

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by BrunoNoMedals, Jan 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

I'm having issues registering for the Bohemia support site so I thought I'd try in here in the mean time.

As the title suggests, I'm looking at building a PC for the sole purpose of running VBS2's Desktop Trainer and Developer Suite, and it needs to be pretty good while still being in budget.

Would any of you fine fellows care to share your opinions on a suitable spec for the machine? As a minimum I want to be able to run it all at 80-90% of maximum settings, preferably at full whack. If possible I also want it to be future-proof-enough that, when VBS3 comes out, it can at least handle it to a playable degree.

Bohemia say that multi-core functionality isn't utilised in 2 yet, but they're working on it. Any decent processor by today's standards will be at least dual-core, but quad- is probably OTT. They also say that any 64-bit system, or one with more than 3.5GB RAM, is susceptible to problems. 32-bit Vista is an almost-certainty but I know that 3GB RAM isn't exactly "future-proof".

Rough costings would be appreciated, but given my supply route I can expect a mighty markup on whatever I go with.

2. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I have no idea on prices, but I'll tell you what we have it running on currently.

We have 3 Dell XPS systems, one is a Quad core (used as a server/editing system) and 2 are Dual Core all 2.66MHz. All have 2.5GHz RAM and 2 NVIDEA Geforce 8800 GTX video cards. Running XP as the OS.

As you said VBS2 doesn't do multi core running but we find it useful as one version tends to take up most of a core's processing power, so we have the other cores to run things in the background/multiple versions.

The quad core will run VBS2, Visitor 3, Oxygen2, Landbuilder and other bits of software needed to make landscapes etc at the same time quite happily. It can run 2 or 3 versions of VBS2 as well, which network within the computer so you can have multiple viewpoints idividually controlled from one system. this isn't totally stable, but usually not too bad.

The video card is your main issue I would think, I'd spend more on the video card and less worrying about massive processing/RAM.

the systems we use were top end probably 2 years ago, nowadays they are pretty mid-range (if not lower), so you will easily get something similar for a good price, DELL still do XPS machines of similar/better spec.

Any questions give me a shout, I've just spent 4 months setting up a system at work and trying to understand it, although as usual once I started getting the hang of it I got moved to a different project.

S_R